EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Ski & Snowboard Pants - Recommendation?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ski & Snowboard Pants - Recommendation?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Happy New Year to everyone! 

 

 I do both snowboarding and skiing and warmth becomes my primary concern as my Burton is not anywhere near warm with my base layer. I am thus looking for a good pants below $300 to replace my old pants. Really appreciate any input from you experts!

 

 

 

post #2 of 16

TNF makes some nice pants, insulated and burly.  I have the Incursion pants, really like them.

post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhh View Post

TNF makes some nice pants, insulated and burly.  I have the Incursion pants, really like them.

 

Thank you but most TNF pants are way over my budget.

How about MHW? I have the monkey fleece and love it but I do not know much about their outwear, which is DryQ not Gore-tex.

 

post #4 of 16

For a non-Gore pant, TNF makes a great pant at a great price.  Take a look at the Freedom Pant.  There are two versions.  One is a standard shell, and the the other is an insulated version.  It is burly.  It has well placed vents.  And it fits great.  One bonus is that these pants are available in different lengths (standard, short, or long).  Instead of using Gore technology, TNF uses its version called Hyvent.

 

I have the standard version.  I live in California and don't need the insulation.  I can vary my layers for colder conditions.

 

The standard pant costs $139, and the insulated version costs $159.

 

Dennis

post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin1911 View Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by huhh View Post

TNF makes some nice pants, insulated and burly. I have the Incursion pants, really like them.

Thank you but most TNF pants are way over my budget.

How about MHW? I have the monkey fleece and love it but I do not know much about their outwear, which is DryQ not Gore-tex.


You said under $300, most of TNF pants are under $300.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny1969 View Post

For a non-Gore pant, TNF makes a great pant at a great price.  Take a look at the Freedom Pant.  There are two versions.  One is a standard shell, and the the other is an insulated version.  It is burly.  It has well placed vents.  And it fits great.  One bonus is that these pants are available in different lengths (standard, short, or long).  Instead of using Gore technology, TNF uses its version called Hyvent.

 

I have the standard version.  I live in California and don't need the insulation.  I can vary my layers for colder conditions.

 

The standard pant costs $139, and the insulated version costs $159.

 

Dennis

 

 

I've had these in the noninsulated version for the last couple seasons and can't complain a bit.  I'm sure there are "nicer" high dollar pants, but these have kept me warm and dry and haven't had any durability issues at all--what more can you ask?
 

 

post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhh View Post


You said under $300, most of TNF pants are under $300.


You are rite, I thought many were between $300 and $500. How about the "free thinker" pants? Are you familiar with this one? 

 

 

P.S. could somebody compare free thinker to 686 3-in-1 cargo pants in terms of warmth? There's no physical store near my town carrying both brands.

 


Edited by gavin1911 - 1/2/12 at 9:41am
post #8 of 16
Free thinker are gore-Tex pro shell, absolutely bomber, but you pay for it. Incursions are hyvent alpha, a laminate like gore-Tex, just not as good, really tough though. Freedom are just hyvent, not a laminate, not bad but I've had hyvent jackets rip on branches, never had my incursion pant rip and I've hit a lot of branches.
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhh View Post

Free thinker are gore-Tex pro shell, absolutely bomber, but you pay for it. Incursions are hyvent alpha, a laminate like gore-Tex, just not as good, really tough though. Freedom are just hyvent, not a laminate, not bad but I've had hyvent jackets rip on branches, never had my incursion pant rip and I've hit a lot of branches.


How about warmth of free thinker? is it good enough with a single base layer for a day that is around 5-10 ºF?

 

post #10 of 16

I got a new pair of TNF Fargo Shell pants this season, for like $130 or something.  They are warm enough without long underwear in typical sunny tahoe weather so far (30F-40F), and the vents are big enough to make them pretty comfortable even when the temps get up towards 50-60.  They have this cool drawstring in the thigh pockets that pulls the back of the cuffs up, so that the cuffs don't drag if you are walking around in shoes instead of ski boots.

 

-Mark

post #11 of 16

If cost is an issue, try a warmer base layer with your current pants.  I haven't had insulated pants since I was 12 years old and with the right base layer it's never been an issue.

post #12 of 16
Freethinker is just a shell, no insulation. So not warm.
post #13 of 16

Re shells vs insulated: I'm fully in the shell camp (same w/ jacket). I like me some control.

 

I picked up an obnoxious construction-worker orange TNF Cryptic pant from an outlet store for $60 ($159 msrp, I think) in November. It's Hyvent DL I believe-- and while cut baggier, I find them very comfortable, great for range of motion, and I'm damn easy to spot. Vent is big, and in a place that really chimney's the air through, cooling me off quick when needed. I go base layer + shell for most days into the single digits F. 

post #14 of 16

If you're trying to not spend a lot of money, how about layering your Burton pants over a pair of fleece pants (~$60)?  Most Burton pants are really roomy.

 

Baselayer+fleece+shell should be plenty warm.

post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin1911 View Post


How about warmth of free thinker? is it good enough with a single base layer for a day that is around 5-10 ºF?

 



Free Thinker is super burly and WARM.  Definitely not lined, but they are heavy material and block out all wind/moisture and do a pretty good job of insulating.

 

I regulalry wear mine with a single base layer and have not been cold in them.  I find hands and feet to be my weak link....never the legs.  And I'm talking temps below 0 ºF!

post #16 of 16

I ditched my insulated pants years ago for shell pants. They're much more versatile since you can vary your base layer(s) according to the weather. For typical mid-winter conditions, I wear fleece pants, adding a poly-prop base layer on colder days; in the spring, sweatpants or even shorts.

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Ski & Snowboard Pants - Recommendation?