New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Breck/Vail 1/16-1/21 - Page 2

post #31 of 45

I was just looking at the Vail mid mountain cam. Snowing like crazy at just before noon MST, and very cold. Then I take a look at Snowmass webcam, and it is partly overcast, with no snow coming down. Although, they did report 2" new the past 24 hrs.

 

Weather is a fickle thing, especially when you are dealing with big topo items, like for instance, 14,000' peaks and such.

 

It does sound a bit encouraging with a possibility of weather pattern shift going into MLK weekend. The cold weather we are currently experiencing in WA is nice, and that forecasted cool mosit air on its way from AK will be very welcome when it arrives on Saturday night/Sunday morning. I'm not going to wax the big boards just yet. (Don't want to jinx anything.) But it is encouraging. I won't total my snowfall, until after it hits the slopes though.

post #32 of 45

How's the front side of Vail looking?   Annual college-buddy trip coming up, next week, and this is the first time in eight years that I can recall the back bowls/blue sky not being open at all.  That said, there are parts of the front side I've never skied because we spend most of our time either in the back, or working our way there from lionshead. 

 

What about BC?  Breck?   I skied a day at BC years back, but preferred Vail, and really dont remember GC at all.  Have never done Breck - at least not since I was barely walking in the early 60's.  I alternate between blue and black runs usually and am not terribly fond of big moguls unless they're covered with fresh snow ... all black = done by noon :)   Others of us will be bored on blues but that's their problem :p  Another is a skier turned boarder as of last spring (traitor!)  so he'll be happy on blue.  

 

Anyway, any opinions on BC and Breck?  Take advantage of Vail's backside being closed and trekking to Breck for a day?    I've also thought of playing in the parks - my one encounter with a rail a few years ago was a disaster and discouraged me trying again :p 

 

Looks like when we get back from CO there'll be snow in our backyard (Tahoe) ... nice thing about Tahoe is one good solid storm  is all it takes to provide a base ...

 

think snow

mark

post #33 of 45

Breck is Vail without the back bowls. Oh, and the money, and the park rats. Still worth a day for variety if Vail back bowls are not open. BC is also worth a day. Grouse Mtn is nice. Variety is the spice of life. Who knows, you could luck out and Vail gets dumped on and you're stuck skiing the same resort over and over again.

post #34 of 45

I didn't ski this past weekend in Summit County as I am skiing this week in Aspen.  Aspen is a totally different game than Summit County was the weekend of the 1st.  There is considerably more terrain open here.  I skied Snowmass on Monday, Aspen Mountain yesterday, and Highlands today.  There is decent skiing to be had.  Would it be better if we had another foot to cover up some of the rocks?  Of course.  But you can ski some off piste terrain, and the snow has some of that nice styrofoam density to it.  We had an inch or two overnight and it softened many of the runs considerably.

 

Yep, there is a fair amount of terrain that's closed.  And there's obstacles (mineral and organic) in the off piste terrain that's open.  But there is decent skiing at Aspen Snowmass considering how dry it has been.

 

Fyi, I thought about delaying my trip.  But I come to Aspen to ski with a member of the PSIA national team, and I didn't want to leave him in a lurch.  Boy, am I glad I came. I've made some major changes in my skiing, and it is not bad.  Perhaps others are pickier than me, but a week of decent skiing in Aspen is a hell of a lot better than a week in the office.

 

Mike

post #35 of 45

 

Quote:

How's the front side of Vail looking?   ....

What about BC?  Breck?

Bad on all counts.  I posted the TR's from the friend who skied the beginning and end of last week at Vail/BC and appreciated my advice to spend the rest of his week at Wolf Creek.  Breck rates to be worse with less natural snowfall, worse exposure and probably even more skier density tearing it up over the holidays.

 

I'm quite convinced the more favorable reports from Aspen are due less intense hoilday traffic causing less damage to the fragile base. Snowfall numbers are similar.  But even there note the longtime regular says it was the worst of his 26 seasons there.

post #36 of 45

BC (and Copper) normally has less skier traffic than Breck and has a higher % of terrain open.  IMO, the runs that they blow snow at Breck tend to be very flat for the most part.  Sure much of the best Expert stuff is closed everywhere, but I think you would likely be better off mixing in a day at Copper and a day at BC rather than making the haul over to Breck from Vail.

post #37 of 45

Winter Park is getting snow (a foot this week and another 5-10 today and tonight, with another storm coming in a few days). .      Just a little off the beaten path but closer to denver than Summit county/Dillon.     www.skiwinterpark.com      Thats my 2 cents

post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post

Winter Park is getting snow (a foot this week and another 5-10 today and tonight, with another storm coming in a few days). .      Just a little off the beaten path but closer to denver than Summit county/Dillon.     www.skiwinterpark.com      Thats my 2 cents


Might be a good call for those looking for someplace close to Denver...some recent stats

 

WP 11.5" last 7 days (and more likely to be reported 1/12) 705 acres open

Vail 9" 1487 acres

BC  11" 1372 acres

Copper 10" 884 acres

Ski Cooper 7" 400 acres

Breck 9" 1259 acres

Keystone 5" 1232 acres

A Basin 5" last 3 days 157 acres

LL 8" last 7, 349 acres

Aspen 8" last 3 days 661 acres

Aspen H 5" last 3 days 729 acres

Snowmass 8" last 3 days, 2046 acres

buttermilk 8" last 3, 402 acres

Steamboat 12" last 4, 2022 acres

Wolf Creek 1" last 4 days 1600 acres

Sol Vista 7" last 3, 340 acres

Silverton 2" last 3, 1819 acres

Crested Butte 7" last 4, 400 acres

 

Despite some inconsistency in the number of days back the snow reports go, most got their snow since Saturday (reported Sunday am) and none of the above includes Thursday am reports.

 

 

 

 

 

post #39 of 45

After all the hand-wringing and lost cancellation dollars-sometimes it's better to just go and take your chances.   Beck/Vail turned out to be much improved this week after all: both resorts got snow

 just before MLK weekend and

Breck got 5 inches on 1/16

Vail got 10 inches that same day.

For the week the 2 resorts were skiing pretty well. Back Bowls and Blue Sky openned 1/19-1/20

While you would not have been there for the 1/21-1/22 storm (14 inches for the 24 hour period for Vail) Colorado is always unpredictable-sometimes for the better.

 

post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiLover View Post

After all the hand-wringing and lost cancellation dollars-sometimes it's better to just go and take your chances.   Beck/Vail turned out to be much improved this week after all: both resorts got snow

 just before MLK weekend and

Breck got 5 inches on 1/16

Vail got 10 inches that same day.

For the week the 2 resorts were skiing pretty well. Back Bowls and Blue Sky openned 1/19-1/20

While you would not have been there for the 1/21-1/22 storm (14 inches for the 24 hour period for Vail) Colorado is always unpredictable-sometimes for the better.

 



That's been my experience when booking far in advance for a winter ski trip. Sadly for me, I usually seem to book the week before or after the big snow storms. Rarely has my timing been right on when it comes to ski vacations. I have had some trips with 7 straight days of bluebird and no snow. And I have had trips where it has snowed just a pittance. And a few times I've lucked out and had a few 10"-12" dumps. But that's the nature of ski vacations where you might not have the ability to book last second and chase the storms.

 

post #41 of 45

 

Quote:
That's been my experience when booking far in advance for a winter ski trip. Sadly for me, I usually seem to book the week before or after the big snow storms. Rarely has my timing been right on when it comes to ski vacations. I have had some trips with 7 straight days of bluebird and no snow. And I have had trips where it has snowed just a pittance. And a few times I've lucked out and had a few 10"-12" dumps. But that's the nature of ski vacations where you might not have the ability to book last second and chase the storms.

Lots of powder is always a low probability event on an advance booked ski trip. http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6822  The current situation with areas half or less open, which means minimal challenging terrain and sometimes sketchy coverage on open runs, is another situation entirely.  If you know this is the situation, it does not make sense

Quote:
  to just go and take your chances.

if you can pay a few extra $ and go somewhere else that's completely open with reasonable snow conditions.  Or get out with some penalty and save the vacation time for a more worthwhile occasion.

post #42 of 45

After the recent storm, how far behind are the resorts in the summit county area from the average snow pack?

post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post

 

Lots of powder is always a low probability event on an advance booked ski trip. http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6822  The current situation with areas half or less open, which means minimal challenging terrain and sometimes sketchy coverage on open runs, is another situation entirely.  If you know this is the situation, it does not make sense

if you can pay a few extra $ and go somewhere else that's completely open with reasonable snow conditions.  Or get out with some penalty and save the vacation time for a more worthwhile occasion.


  Thanks for the crunching the numbers, Tony.   Given the stats I feel like I have been luckier than I realized on my 3-4 trips a season to the Colorado I-70 resorts. Unfortunately, although I'm very fortunate to

be able to get out West that often from the East Coast, the only way I can afford it is to buy an Epic Pass for the Vail resorts, book well in advance and take my chances. I've come to terms with the snow conditions whatever they may be. I realize that for many/most who only get out there once or twice a year,  maximum coverage/powder are a priority. You make a very good point on advance booking for these situations. 
 

 

post #44 of 45

Well, I guess now I can say, I'm not unlucky when it comes to powder days on a 7 day advanced booked ski trip. I think I will stay away from the blackjack tables next time I'm in Reno.

post #45 of 45
Thread Starter 

Interesting follow ups, I did read about the snow storms during that time. Uncertain if it would have been worth it; I shifted my money into a Whistler trip for early March instead. I might grab a last minute CO deal in late Feb or late March if a good snow storm pops up.

 

I was genuinely surprised CO had so many issues getting rolling this year; wish I could have done late Jan, these giant snowstorms have me drooling. Don't even get me started on Europe and Japan lol, watching people shovel away in Saravejo on TV is torment - they can't use it and I am dying for it, the stuff is just in the wrong place!
 

Rough year for skiiers :(

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel