This doesn't have to do with skiing - but I wanted to pass on a scary experience that I think everyone should be aware of:
Yesterday, my wife got up early and was roasting peppers over the stove. It wasn't very smokey, but it set off all our fire alarms. We have a redundant fire / smoke alarm system, 2 in the downstairs hallway (1 hardwire and 1 redundant battery operated system), another redundant system at the top of the stairs in the hallway in front of one of my sons rooms, and another at the other end of the upstairs hallway in front of my other sons room. All 5 smoke/fire alarms went off. I was in the garage waxing skis (the relevance to a skiing discussion post) and heard all alarms go off. Everything was ok, and there was absolutely no danger, but I was curious why 2 of my 3 sons didn't even bother to come down to see what was going on. I went up to their rooms and my 2 teenage sons were sound asleep ! The smoke alarms were still going off, and they were sleeping right through them. I woke them to ask if they heard them, and they half woke up, mumbled no, and went back to sleep. It was a very scary thought that if this was a real fire, they could have slept right through 5 smoke alarms going off ! Three of the five smoke alarms were right in front of their bedroom doors, and their doors were open - still didn't wake them up !
I'm now installing a smoke alarm in every bedroom, right over everyone's bed !