or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Uproar at Snowbasin? - Page 3

post #61 of 259

Did any of you read the Facebook page that Toecutter posted a link too?  The resort has apologized for the overreaction.  I'd say they are pretty standup about the whole thing.

 

Mike

post #62 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeUT View Post


I'm very well aware of what the word graze means, and I've got a few more definitions for you if you'd like to PM for them.


1 - I really don't think you are, so I'll help you. Graze is defined as touching lightly. Where in the vid did the boarder touch the bluecoat guy?  

 

2 - no, but thanks for the invitation.

 

From what I saw in the video there was nothing risky or punishable in what the boarder did. Too fast? No. Too close?  It would have been close if the other skier was moving, but he wasn't. THe kid was long gone. There was no out of control riding. There was a massive over reaction - at least in relation to what occurred on video.

 

 

 

 

 

post #63 of 259

"Unfortunately they're not similar. You duck the rope at a mountain like Snowbasin, you deserve what you get including but not limited to yelled at and pass revoked. The fact that you say "We started off cooperative" and mention that the manager wanted nothing to do with you suggests that not only did you blatantly duck a rope right in front of the lift but you probably mouthed off about it too. The kid in the video may not have deserved what he got, but I'm guessing you did. Now I'll never know (or care much) because all I have is your incomplete half of the story, but I have a pretty strong idea."

 

@joeUT

1) telling people you don't care after a whole series of responses isn't very accurate.

2) I get the feeling that the sole reason my point isn't getting through to you is that you can't comprehend that "at a mountain like snowbasin" they would ever do such a thing.  Proof above in the video... They did and they do.

3) Getting your pass pull / learning the rules of the mountain can be done in a respectful manner.  Something that i have now seen snowbasin twice fail to do.

post #64 of 259

You don't have kids, and until you do you'll never understand.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post


...and you'd still consider the boarder the dangerous one on the mountain?
 

 



 

post #65 of 259

Sorry, all i see in this video is a ski patrol telling a minor to...well you know.  If I owned a business and one of my employee's said that to a customer i would probably have to fire them.  What makes this any different?

post #66 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post

Did any of you read the Facebook page that Toecutter posted a link too?  The resort has apologized for the overreaction.  I'd say they are pretty standup about the whole thing.

 

Mike



Good enough for me.  Let it go.

post #67 of 259

If you all want to read comments directly from the snowboarder in the video, here you go:

 

http://easyloungin.com/forum/topic.php?id=9246

post #68 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post

Did any of you read the Facebook page that Toecutter posted a link too? The resort has apologized for the overreaction. I'd say they are pretty standup about the whole thing. Mike

They have too apologize.
Edited by huhh - 12/29/11 at 9:56pm
post #69 of 259

Cant see much wrong with what those kids did. 

 

Just casual comment  keep a little more space was the most required, the kid seemed respectful enough to respond to that!  Power trippers piss me off!   I am pleased to see snow basin management have taken responsibility,  I would expect the mere fact they took the time to appolygise on a forum suggests the patroller will have been given a chill warning.

 

Richo

 

 

post #70 of 259

The f bomb imo isn't warranted in any situation.  That being said, I didn't see anything the kid did that was overly dangerous to warrant the reaction from the kid got from the "cops".  He seemed very in control to me, unlike a lot of people I've seen.  But the camera doesn't catch exactly how close he was from the angle provided.   Ski patrol overreacting has been a theme it seems for the past couple of years.  I watched a ski patrol chase down a guy on a very hard "black" run and tell him he was going to fast, there wasn't one person within 50 feet of him all the way down as I was behind them.  The appology doesn't make up for the rude behavior. 

post #71 of 259

That's pretty bad.  

 

But it seems it was the second person in the blue coat that called over the patroller, who then got hostile.

 

I once was grabbed and tackled by a hostile patroller at Jackson.  It pissed me off like hell.  I looked at the guy's name tag and thought about sending in letters to his director and resort management, but I let it go.  Why?  Because what the F is one person's letter going to do?  Helmet cam-captured BS shared on the internet carries far more weight.

 

Moral of story... always ski with your helmet cam!

post #72 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttimez View Post

The f bomb imo isn't warranted in any situation.  That being said, I didn't see anything the kid did that was overly dangerous to warrant the reaction from the kid got from the "cops".  He seemed very in control to me, unlike a lot of people I've seen.  But the camera doesn't catch exactly how close he was from the angle provided.   Ski patrol overreacting has been a theme it seems for the past couple of years.  I watched a ski patrol chase down a guy on a very hard "black" run and tell him he was going to fast, there wasn't one person within 50 feet of him all the way down as I was behind them.  The appology doesn't make up for the rude behavior. 



WHAT THE F-IN F___  are your F-in talking about!    :P

post #73 of 259
post #74 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post

Now this is funny,  nice net,,,, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz0SlRyA9LQ&feature=related



Now that is Fnnn funny....how in the F....does that happen....lol

post #75 of 259


Yr right that is funny,   wonder if they will take his pass for jumping in a roped area.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post

Now this is funny,  nice net,,,, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz0SlRyA9LQ&feature=related



 

post #76 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyymc View Post


1 - I really don't think you are, so I'll help you. Graze is defined as touching lightly. Where in the vid did the boarder touch the bluecoat guy?  

 

2 - no, but thanks for the invitation.

 

From what I saw in the video there was nothing risky or punishable in what the boarder did. Too fast? No. Too close?  It would have been close if the other skier was moving, but he wasn't. THe kid was long gone. There was no out of control riding. There was a massive over reaction - at least in relation to what occurred on video.

 

 

 

 

 


Here's a definition for you, guy: slight exaggeration. Maybe he didn't physically touch him, but he was damn close, closer than I'd be looking to get to anyone on the slopes, especially a staff member. That's just asking for trouble right off.

 

Funny how all the people that actually know Snowbasin--we'll define that as "full context"--understand where the patroller was coming from even though they think he went about it wrong. The armchair experts from upstate NY, Oregon, etc., on the other hand, are the ones that don't (maybe can't) quite get it. The run is perhaps the biggest $#it show Snowbasin has had in years and patience is short, tempers are flaring.

 

Now in light of the fact that Snowbasin apologized, what is left to debate?

 

post #77 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by CascadeConcrete View Post

"Unfortunately they're not similar. You duck the rope at a mountain like Snowbasin, you deserve what you get including but not limited to yelled at and pass revoked. The fact that you say "We started off cooperative" and mention that the manager wanted nothing to do with you suggests that not only did you blatantly duck a rope right in front of the lift but you probably mouthed off about it too. The kid in the video may not have deserved what he got, but I'm guessing you did. Now I'll never know (or care much) because all I have is your incomplete half of the story, but I have a pretty strong idea."

 

@joeUT

1) telling people you don't care after a whole series of responses isn't very accurate.

2) I get the feeling that the sole reason my point isn't getting through to you is that you can't comprehend that "at a mountain like snowbasin" they would ever do such a thing.  Proof above in the video... They did and they do.

3) Getting your pass pull / learning the rules of the mountain can be done in a respectful manner.  Something that i have now seen snowbasin twice fail to do.



Your point didn't get through because it was lacking. Did you notice that outside of myself the rest of the three-page thread has categorically ignored you? Because your story isn't comparable. Any skier/rider with half a brain knows you don't duck ropes without risking getting kicked off the mountain with a swift, steady boot.

 

Snowbasin failed once; your situation still doesn't count. The sooner you take responsibility for what was completely your fault, the better you'll be for it.

post #78 of 259

The Blue coat guy was looking right at him and he was not that close.


 

Also I would not be stanidng directly in front of an obvioys little kicker. But the video most likely makes it look even closer the it is.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeUT View Post


Here's a definition for you, guy: slight exaggeration. Maybe he didn't physically touch him, but he was damn close, closer than I'd be looking to get to anyone on the slopes, especially a staff member. That's just asking for trouble right off.

 

Funny how all the people that actually know Snowbasin--we'll define that as "full context"--understand where the patroller was coming from even though they think he went about it wrong. The armchair experts from upstate NY, Oregon, etc., on the other hand, are the ones that don't (maybe can't) quite get it. The run is perhaps the biggest $#it show Snowbasin has had in years and patience is short, tempers are flaring.

 

Now in light of the fact that Snowbasin apologized, what is left to debate?

 



 

post #79 of 259

Snowbasin's fb page is crackin me up.  They should take it down while they're behind.

post #80 of 259

That kicker wasn't that obvious--it was a small piece of packed snow on a slow ski run. It's not in the park and no one has any obligation to keep it clear, particularly a ski instructor watching over a tiny kid. As others have suggested, he might have been purposely blocking it to prevent the dumb masses from launching into his lesson. Whatever the case, it wasn't worth so obviously cutting right in front of a staff member for. That was just dumb.

post #81 of 259

If it is not clearly a closed area within the run, the guy should not be standing there. He is ripping off paying customers from having a little fun. That kid enjoys that little bump; they have no right to take it away from him without good reason and clear marking. No, you're right, I don't get it.  Also, spending time and effort on that kind of thing takes personnel away from real issues on the hill.

 

That kicker was not obvious to whom? I can see a developed track leading to it. The kid was aware of it, as was the safety guy (instructor? not?) as was patrol I'm pretty sure.

 

I am seriously opposed to a ski area using "safety monitors" , or whatever, instead of patrol, at least not to a large extent simply to save money. reason: safety monitors do not have to have much or any specific training for their job, I wouldn't think, thus the lower salary, I assume. It's like asking the busboy to wait tables. Good for the restaurant bottom line that night....not so good for the customers. It's a formula for many more problems dealing with the public. It can happen with patrol, but not nearly as likely due to their experience.

post #82 of 259

Not defending anyone here because the boarder was much too close to the instructor and little guy, and the patroller is liguistically impaired, but one thing that alpine instructors should be aware of is the location of the little hits and other jibby'ish odds and ends features that boarders and ski groms like to hit. We've got several in a big teaching area, and after nearly getting clobbered with a class near one, I stay a good distance away. Honestly, all alpine instructors, if they haven't or don't do so regularly, should go out with some boarder buds (or aquaintences as the case may be) and see how they see the mountain. It'll open your eyes and honestly make your 'familiar' mountain a little more new and interesting.

post #83 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post

I was playing with some gasoline and figured I could throw some on the fire with impunity...

 

What if the kid was the ski resort owner's son, and he demanded that the ski patrolled be fired along with anyone else in an authority position hat was involved?   What if we didn't actually have video of the exchange on the hill?



Hahaha!  Need a light?



Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post

Did any of you read the Facebook page that Toecutter posted a link too?  The resort has apologized for the overreaction.  I'd say they are pretty standup about the whole thing.

 

Mike


 

Already way ahead of SSV
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post

Snowbasin's fb page is crackin me up.  They should take it down while they're behind.



Damage control..

 

 

I've seen this kind of scenario play out before a couple of times.  There is nothing on the video that doesn't make the staff look like fools and the snowboarder look like Amanda Knox.  However, there wasn't any video of the 30 minutes of police chase before Rodney King got assaulted (not that there is any excuse for that) either.  What I am suggesting is that it is possible that the snowboarder was out of control on a different run earlier and the staff was watching him, just waiting for any excuse at all to kick him out.  They just happened to catch up to him when he wasn't doing anything at all wrong LOL!  Or, there may have been another kid dressed like him that was wreaking a little havoc around the mountain and they nabbed the wrong kid. 

 

Total snafo for the resort staffredface.gif.  Nobody should lose a ticket or even be warned for what occurred on that video.  I suspect there were other mitigating circumstances (right or wrong.. doesn't matter now) that we'll never know about. 

post #84 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

If it is not clearly a closed area within the run, the guy should not be standing there. He is ripping off paying customers from having a little fun. That kid enjoys that little bump; they have no right to take it away from him without good reason and clear marking. No, you're right, I don't get it.  Also, spending time and effort on that kind of thing takes personnel away from real issues on the hill.

 

That kicker was not obvious to whom? I can see a developed track leading to it. The kid was aware of it, as was the safety guy (instructor? not?) as was patrol I'm pretty sure.

 

I am seriously opposed to a ski area using "safety monitors" , or whatever, instead of patrol, at least not to a large extent simply to save money. reason: safety monitors do not have to have much or any specific training for their job, I wouldn't think, thus the lower salary, I assume. It's like asking the busboy to wait tables. Good for the restaurant bottom line that night....not so good for the customers. It's a formula for many more problems dealing with the public. It can happen with patrol, but not nearly as likely due to their experience.




If you listen to the video, it sounds like he was purposely trying to block it. The other blue coat says that the guy told him not to go off it. That's why he got stopped. It was a dumb move for an incidental "feature."

 

Sorry, no patron has the right to ignore slow signs and no-jump warnings because of the entitled "we're paying customers" load of BS. And anyone has the right to stop on the side of the trail. WTF are you even talking about? The need to keep the trail safe for ALL skiers and riders > the "right" of a few bored skiers or riders to launch themselves off every single feature on the hill.

 

It's not that hard to understand: The run is a huge choke point of skiers of all abilities due to its location. It's a green run with multiple "slow skiing signs". No one has the right to launch themselves and put others in danger. That's what staff was looking out for. It's a problem there that anyone that's been is aware of. I'd hate to be first-timer or little kid there, but since it's a green, it's where you go. If you want to hit features all day without dealing with any issues go to the friggin terrain park.

post #85 of 259

I keep hearing about this HUUUUGE CHOKING POINT BOTTLE NECK being brought up by the defenders of Tim Taylor and the resort along with the claim that it is in full context...how about the context that there wasn't really anyone else around?  How about the boarder stopping within inches of the patrol guy without hitting him?  The bro brah doesn't even have a single arm flail the whole time.

post #86 of 259


I think that the history (circumstances) which bears on this event is deep in the past of the staff members. time for some relaxation therapy if being in the mountains isn't sufficient to mitigate their character flaws.

bold mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post



Hahaha!  Need a light?


 

Already way ahead of SSV
 



Damage control..

 

 

I've seen this kind of scenario play out before a couple of times.  There is nothing on the video that doesn't make the staff look like fools and the snowboarder look like Amanda Knox.  However, there wasn't any video of the 30 minutes of police chase before Rodney King got assaulted (not that there is any excuse for that) either.  What I am suggesting is that it is possible that the snowboarder was out of control on a different run earlier and the staff was watching him, just waiting for any excuse at all to kick him out.  They just happened to catch up to him when he wasn't doing anything at all wrong LOL!  Or, there may have been another kid dressed like him that was wreaking a little havoc around the mountain and they nabbed the wrong kid. 

 

Total snafo for the resort staffredface.gif.  Nobody should lose a ticket or even be warned for what occurred on that video.  I suspect there were other mitigating circumstances (right or wrong.. doesn't matter now) that we'll never know about. 


 

 

post #87 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post

I keep hearing about this HUUUUGE CHOKING POINT BOTTLE NECK being brought up by the defenders of Tim Taylor and the resort along with the claim that it is in full context...how about the context that there wasn't really anyone else around?  How about the boarder stopping within inches of the patrol guy without hitting him?  The bro brah doesn't even have a single arm flail the whole time.



You know this because the video showed the whole run (it didn't) or because you're telepathic? If you're using that to defend the kid, there was no reason to be within inches of the instructor. Is it that difficult to skip the f*ckin jump and hit it the next time down? That's what anyone with common sense would do if there was someone basically standing on top of the feature, especially a staff member. He had to slow down to the point where he basically moguled the thing--what exactly was the point?

 

post #88 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeUT View Post




If you listen to the video, it sounds like he was purposely trying to block it. The other blue coat says that the guy told him not to go off it. That's why he got stopped. It was a dumb move for an incidental "feature."

 

Sorry, no patron has the right to ignore slow signs and no-jump warnings because of the entitled "we're paying customers" load of BS. And anyone has the right to stop on the side of the trail. WTF are you even talking about? The need to keep the trail safe for ALL skiers and riders > the "right" of a few bored skiers or riders to launch themselves off every single feature on the hill.

 

It's not that hard to understand: The run is a huge choke point of skiers of all abilities due to its location. It's a green run with multiple "slow skiing signs". No one has the right to launch themselves and put others in danger. That's what staff was looking out for. It's a problem there that anyone that's been is aware of. I'd hate to be first-timer or little kid there, but since it's a green, it's where you go. If you want to hit features all day without dealing with any issues go to the friggin terrain park.



You can't be serious.  If I had skied that same situation, it probably would have been in a similar manner.   And even if these ^^^ points are true, just tell em not to do it!

 

You are allowed to ski the terrain, nothing wrong with that as long as you obey the code.  There were no features.

post #89 of 259

I'm telepathic.

post #90 of 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post



You can't be serious.  If I had skied that same situation, it probably would have been in a similar manner.   And even if these ^^^ points are true, just tell em not to do it!

 

You are allowed to ski the terrain, nothing wrong with that as long as you obey the code.  There were no features.



I'm sure you would have.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion