EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Atomic Blackeye TI-X vs Atomic Blackeye TI
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Atomic Blackeye TI-X vs Atomic Blackeye TI - Page 2

post #31 of 47

i did more research and those when i saw them at sport chek...they are 2009-2010 series...the giveaways are:

1-- the waist ('79 vs current 82)

2-- and there is no stepdown sidewall

3--and the lengths available also are the 2009 lengths.

4--no adaptive camber of later models

 

I had this ski when it was in was originally sold.... in red (sold it, but a nice ski nonetheless)

 

...so in short it was just a marketing remake over of this ski to look more like the current 2010-11/and (unchanged aside

 from graphics) 2011-12 model (i have 2010-11 model, step down side wall, 167 in 82mm waist)

post #32 of 47

I bought those Atomic Blackeye Ti-X about 1 month ago, i used them 6 times since and i can say that i'm very pleased with them, even though they may not be the real thing, as this thread says. I was a bit worried at first when reading this thread because i had something different in mind when i entered the store but after looking at a few models and discussed with the guy at Sports Experts (Quebec's version of Sportcheck), i got those TI-X in 164cm lenght. 

 

Technically, i'm in the advanced-intermediate range and i love them.  I don't claim to be an expert, i'm just enjoying skiing sometimes agressively with long or short carving turns, and sometimes i'm going for the quiet smooth ride.  Also tried some backcountry and moguls. They've responded well in all conditions i've met so far, and i feel safe at high speed and on uneven terrain or steep/icy slopes, they are very stable.  I haven't met real powder yet since i'm sking east and we have a bad year for snow here, but overall they really suits my needs and i don't feel limited.

 

Hope this helps some of you folks.

 

 

post #33 of 47

This is clearly a significant problem.  I was looking for skis for my 13 year old son and went to Sportchek.  The salesperson tried to sell me the "special" Ti-X model which were clearly not the Atomic 2012 model.  Fortunately, I found this website.  I then went back to have a look at their other skis to see if the issue was more widespread.  It was.  They had a womens ski called a Salomon Origins Violet which wasn't on the Salomon website.  Most of the skis that I could identify were at least two years old.

 

 

post #34 of 47

This is a common practice at Sport Chek(and other retailers) to have manufacturers make up special store models.  Not just common in skis but lots of other products.  Sport does have these skis tested by SKI Canada.  When they do their normal test, they also test a number of other model skis for Sport Chek.  Ski Canada gets a fee from this to help pay for the ski tests they put in their magazine.

These can be good skis - unfortunately hard to demo and once you try them you can't return them unless defective in some way.

Atomic, Soloman, Rossi Vokl, K2 and others all participate in this.

For beginner and intermediate skiers it is a great way to get a decent ski at a reasonable price.  Expert skiers may have to be a a little fussier but they may still find a good deal.

 

Cheers

J

post #35 of 47

The radius and width is usually printed on the ski.  Is it the right radius and width for what you plan on doing with it and what you prefer?

 

A good ski needs to be torsionally stiff.  Can you twist it easily or is it torsionally stiff?

 

A ski needs to be stiff enough to distribute your weight to the tip and tail and resist folding up on you at speed, and soft enough to bend into shape in soft snow, if that's your thing.  Is the ski stiff enough for your weight and the snow and  speeds you will see with it?

 

That's the basics.  You can get into more detail, like softer tips, stiffer middle and tail, or uniform flex, but the above is probably enough to go on. Armed with answers to the above questions, it should be be pretty easy for you to decide if the skis are worth the price, regardless of what they call it.  You could end up with a good ski at a good price.  On the other hand, if you have my budget, you would be better off with buying left-over new in plastic bargains on E-bay, and if you have the budget of many on this board, you could just pay your favourite ski shop what they want for an item of well-known quality, and get good service.  There are different options for different budgets.

 

post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by movado watches View Post

If anything goes wrong by means of possibly of which solutions, a new renewed aspect is usually t  chanel borse  he merely option. people have a relatively large amount with regards to the application, he explained. Basic a chic region it is no wonder your procuring settings downwards it extraordinary vicinity may also be very high-end with the help of towering the malls, modern retailers together with north western top   prada handbags  retail stores filling that road. It s different almost any bag in the marketplace exactly where immediately after four years, its going to tear quite easily  sac longchamp  . Fowls solution well-being difficulties in ways depends upon all around the fowl, the species, together with positiv  movado watches  e well-being challenge. To attract attention away from a good multi sensible comprehensive physical appearance, it appears to be re  Polo Ralph Lauren pas cher  commended to explore obtain an multi function provide virtually any one 2-3 many weeks.

 

Word.

post #37 of 47

Anyone able to find any more data / reviews on these skis? I picked these up thingking they were the real deal :(.

 

The price was so right however.

post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sepallo View Post

 

The price was so right however.

 

And more than a year old.

post #39 of 47

Thanks for your reply. I know its an old thread. Its really all I could find on the subject however.

post #40 of 47

Try a Google search something like this: "atomic blackeye: epicski".  The Tags (right of Post #1) lead to the EpicSki info about those models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepallo View Post

Thanks for your reply. I know its an old thread. Its really all I could find on the subject however.

post #41 of 47

myself and others already have given you alot of information between the 2 sets...

there's nothing more to cover.

 

...i've had both series and enjoyed them both....one of my ski 

instructors even had the 'x' version, so what's not to like?

 

 they weren't a $1200 purchase needing so such research

(and you've gotten plenty of info in the replies on how they differ from one another).

 

....you got them for a fab price (as did I at the time, too,

as per that sportchek boxing day deal for $400ish with bindings, including taxes if i recall)

   they're a good ski....

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepallo View Post

Anyone able to find any more data / reviews on these skis? I picked these up thingking they were the real deal :(.

 

The price was so right however.


Edited by canali - 12/28/12 at 9:52am
post #42 of 47

Are you talking to the OP (long done) or Sepallo who just joined EpicSki today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canali View Post

myself and others already have given you alot of information between the 2 sets...

there's nothing more to cover.

 

...i've had both series and enjoyed them both....one of my ski 

instructors even had the 'x' version, so what's not to like?

 

 they weren't a $1200 purchase needing so such research

(and you've gotten plenty of info in the replies on how they differ from one another).

....you got them for a fab price (as did I at the time, too 

sportchek boxing day deal for $400 with bindings, including taxes if i recall)

   they're a good ski....

 

bottomline. enjoy them or sell them

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepallo View Post

Anyone able to find any more data / reviews on these skis? I picked these up thingking they were the real deal :(.

 

The price was so right however.

post #43 of 47

obviously i was thinking of the 'long done' person (my bad)...guess that is what

happens when an old thread gets picked up and we dont' read the details on my small screen

...new poster gets mixed in with the older one...rolleyes.gif  mia apologia

 

but for sepallo (welcome by the way..sorry for misreading you as someone else)

 re read this whole thread, as the gist of what i said still stands:  

all the info is there for you ... and both sets are good atomic quality skis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post

Are you talking to the OP (long done) or Sepallo who just joined EpicSki today?


Edited by canali - 12/28/12 at 10:07am
post #44 of 47
Thank you very much for the replies smile.gif it has eased my mind.

Trying them this weekend.
post #45 of 47

Hi,

 

I bought a pair of these blackeye ti-x skis just after christmas from sportchek kelowna on special for $399 including XTO10 bindings thinking they were the real blackeyes. Im an intermediate skier and they felt great to me but after looking them up i twigged after i notcied you cant get the real blackeyes in 157cm length.

 

anyway after finding this thread (only one really about ti-x) i started to worry a bit. The 2012/2013 blackeye ti-x looks just like the 2011/2012 real blackeye ti graphics wise.

 

i emailed the Atomic rep through the atomic website abouty differences and he replied

 

I have been informed that the Blackeye Ti-X ski is the same as the Blackeye Ti ski. The only differences being is the Graphics on the actual ski’s themselves are different and it comes with a different binding.

 

Also according to the sportchek web site http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=13029642&cp=3733354.10968095.3767837.3767842.3758120 they contain all the same features (step down/sidewall tech and woodcore).

 

So.. im not sure what the believe if they are pretty much legit with a downgraded binding or if they are missing a few techs and only have cap fibre core. I would like to own them for a while and worry about them packing out after a few seasons (not that there is much i can do about it now).

 

If they were the real deal i dont know how they could sell them so cheap but surely the atomic reps wouldnt lie outright? i'm sure the sportchek website would just claim "confusion" if they were caught out claiming the the ti-x had woodcore etc when in fact they might not.

post #46 of 47

Atomic Blackeye TI-X  is 79mm wide (2011-2012, the one i got. Don't know if they have a 2013 version with different stats).  Atomic Blackeye Ti is 82mm wide.  Not exactly the same, but i do like mine a lot.  I've been using them for almost 2 years now and i really progressed with those.  Stable at high speed, best suited to more agressive skier.

post #47 of 47

giveaway will be the waist (82 is current vs 79 older)...and step down sidewall

...when i was in sportchek it was the current model that went on that boxing day sale,

so you got a SMOKIN' DEAL.

 

my 2 cents for what it's worth, bud: be happy, enjoy and don't overanalyze ...

atomic blackeye ti, even the 79 waisted model with no stepdown,

is a very good ski (as noted in earlier comment one of my ski instructors was on it ).

 

your current 82 mm waisted/step down sidewall model is even more highly rated by ski canada:

http://skicanadamag.com/ski-tests/ski-test-2012/atomic-nomad-blackeye-ti

 

i still regret the breakup with me selling her, to be frank, (''wanted to try something new...'')

but my kastle mx78 and nordica steadfasts replaced her and we're hitting it off wonderfully.

 

lastly i highly doubt sportchek compromised on the integrity of your blackeyes due to the sale price.

the bindings i got on it, when i bought it a season or so at the end for $650ish, had some atomic 10 binding.

(so again the price you paid is fantastic)

 

sportchek's boxing day sale for a few brands is an awesome event for us ski lovers,

for anyone in canada with one in their neighbourhood.

 

few, if any, ski only retailers can match some of their boxing day sale prices

(of course they're now owned by the large cdn tire company. previously by the forzani group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswiss84 View Post

Hi,

 

I bought a pair of these blackeye ti-x skis just after christmas from sportchek kelowna on special for $399 including XTO10 bindings thinking they were the real blackeyes. Im an intermediate skier and they felt great to me but after looking them up i twigged after i notcied you cant get the real blackeyes in 157cm length.

 

anyway after finding this thread (only one really about ti-x) i started to worry a bit. The 2012/2013 blackeye ti-x looks just like the 2011/2012 real blackeye ti graphics wise.

 

i emailed the Atomic rep through the atomic website abouty differences and he replied

 

I have been informed that the Blackeye Ti-X ski is the same as the Blackeye Ti ski. The only differences being is the Graphics on the actual ski’s themselves are different and it comes with a different binding.

 

Also according to the sportchek web site http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=13029642&cp=3733354.10968095.3767837.3767842.3758120 they contain all the same features (step down/sidewall tech and woodcore).

 

So.. im not sure what the believe if they are pretty much legit with a downgraded binding or if they are missing a few techs and only have cap fibre core. I would like to own them for a while and worry about them packing out after a few seasons (not that there is much i can do about it now).

 

If they were the real deal i dont know how they could sell them so cheap but surely the atomic reps wouldnt lie outright? i'm sure the sportchek website would just claim "confusion" if they were caught out claiming the the ti-x had woodcore etc when in fact they might not.


Edited by canali - 1/21/13 at 7:33pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Atomic Blackeye TI-X vs Atomic Blackeye TI