New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

186 Rossi S3s?

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 

So, I tend to have a disease to buy skis that are to long for me! It's starting to get annoying, so I'm going to ask your oppinion here.

I'm a high intermediate to advanced skier, am 5'11" and 145lbs. I'm wondering if 186 Rossi S3s will be too big for me? I want to use these as a one ski quiver in the Rockies, but will be doing as much offpiste with these as possible. Does anyone know the actual running length on these as well, I can't seem to find it? I have read that they run 10-15 cm shorter, but would actually want some accurate facts. If you need more info, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

post #2 of 5

They should be fine for you , they ski  shorter than they seem for length. I'm 6' 205lbs and have the 186cm S3. I really enjoy them in powder and tracked off chopped up conditions. Tips won't dive on you, love to float up, great for floating up over downed trees in the woods. Ok on groomers, will get you back to the lift. Probably won't like them on scraped up hardpack like we have in the east. As for length in open spaces they will be great. In really tight trees on steeps as in 2-3' spacings the physical length on the ski for manuverability is a bit long. As for the feel of actual running length I would say it is in the 155-165cm length. Although when you lay them over on groomers and let the whole edge length engage ( there is a slight delay compared to a stiff carver ski)  you can feel the full length of them.

post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the great input, Snowbowler. So you think that 186s should work for me? I'm not planning on doing to many super tight trees, but still want them to be able to do trees. Also, actual ski lenth is something like 182.5 cm, so that also makes it shorter.

post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post

So, I tend to have a disease to buy skis that are to long for me! It's starting to get annoying, so I'm going to ask your oppinion here.

I'm a high intermediate to advanced skier, am 5'11" and 145lbs. I'm wondering if 186 Rossi S3s will be too big for me? I want to use these as a one ski quiver in the Rockies, but will be doing as much offpiste with these as possible. Does anyone know the actual running length on these as well, I can't seem to find it? I have read that they run 10-15 cm shorter, but would actually want some accurate facts. If you need more info, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!


The two factors that I highlighted would indicate to me that the 178 would be a better choice for a daily driver ski. The 186 has quite a bit more rocker than the 178 so while the advertised length is obviously different, the running length is very similar. While you will get more lift in deep snow from the 186, that is probably the only area where it will be better than the 178. Figure it this way, the 186 will be a better call 10% of the time but the 178 will be better the remaining 90%.

 

The longest size in any ski is planned for the biggest skiers and that ain't you. Of course speed and aggressiveness can make up for stature to some degree but at your ability level, you're probably not at the top of the scale there either. Given you weight and ability, I'd be suggesting a 170(ish) ski on a single rise model and for the S3 the 178 is plenty.

 

SJ

 

 

 

post #5 of 5
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the great input, SJ. That was way more what I was thinking. I've also been considering the 182 Moment PB and J. Can anyone compare these? I know the PBs are a bit more chargy, but are still playful and slarvy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion