EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Member Gear Reviews › 4 days at Alta on MX88s and Bonafides
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

4 days at Alta on MX88s and Bonafides - Page 3

post #61 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2late View Post



I wasn't trying to summon a recommendation, but thanks. I ski the East...Southern VT and Gore, Whiteface. I am a level 7-8 skier that ski's most days on a Volkl Racetiger SL 165. Love that ski, just looking for something for more varied terrain after a snow fall or when the snow softens up in the afternoon. I am 6', 220 pounds and am thinking that a 3 ski quiver might look something like the Racetiger, MX 88 and the Bones. I love the "idea" of a powder ski, but in all honesty I think that a 98 underfoot will more than suffice for my "powder days" here. Am also curious about the Bushwacker at 88 underfoot being that I already a ski for the ice and hard pack that we see so often. Looking to improve my off-piste and bump skiing this season. Any input would be great. Thanks again.


I just tried a pair of Blizzard Bushwaker (180) today and I didn't liked them at all on the hard pack. I think its because of the tip rocker; as hard as I tried, I couldn't engage the tip that kept fluffing over the snow and it was like if I had to ski with skis too shorts for me: they became very unstable and shaky if I ride too fast or tried to be more demanding). I think they would be terrific for someone near 190 (I'm 215 lbs) because I had a lot of fun in bumps and trees (and they have great grip on ice ) Since last year, I'm on Dynastar Sultan Legend 85 and I would'nt change it for the Bushwaker... I tried them because even if i love the Legend, i would like skis more light, less of a tank.

 

I will keep searching! Any suggestions?
 

 

post #62 of 72



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogsie View Post


I just tried a pair of Blizzard Bushwaker (180) today and I didn't liked them at all on the hard pack. I think its because of the tip rocker; as hard as I tried, I couldn't engage the tip that kept fluffing over the snow and it was like if I had to ski with skis too shorts for me: they became very unstable and shaky if I ride too fast or tried to be more demanding). I think they would be terrific for someone near 190 (I'm 215 lbs) because I had a lot of fun in bumps and trees (and they have great grip on ice ) Since last year, I'm on Dynastar Sultan Legend 85 and I wouldn't change it for the Bushwhacker... I tried them because even if i love the Legend, i would like skis more light, less of a tank.

 

I will keep searching! Any suggestions?
 

 



   Blasphemy! You are the devil. How dare you say anything negative about one of this years chosen Viral Skis. biggrin.gif

  

 

post #63 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogsie View Post


I just tried a pair of Blizzard Bushwaker (180) today and I didn't liked them at all on the hard pack. I think its because of the tip rocker; as hard as I tried, I couldn't engage the tip that kept fluffing over the snow and it was like if I had to ski with skis too shorts for me: they became very unstable and shaky if I ride too fast or tried to be more demanding). I think they would be terrific for someone near 190 (I'm 215 lbs) because I had a lot of fun in bumps and trees (and they have great grip on ice ) Since last year, I'm on Dynastar Sultan Legend 85 and I would'nt change it for the Bushwaker... I tried them because even if i love the Legend, i would like skis more light, less of a tank.

 

I will keep searching! Any suggestions?
 

 

In that waist width range, the Head Peak 90 has a very light touch, yet is a more powerful ski than the BW.  Volkl Kendo is very stable and powerful, but a bit heavier, it seemed.  Rossi E88 is a very good ski and worth trying (no metal, not too heavy), as is the Elan Apex; has metal and a milled out core, so very light for the weight.  None of these feel overly damp or heavy.  I only sell the Elan and Head, but have skied or owned the others, and like them all (we also sell Dynastar, and the Sultan 85 has a damp, glued to the snow feel. I can relate.  Some love it, some don't).  
 

 

post #64 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogsie View Post


I just tried a pair of Blizzard Bushwaker (180) today and I didn't liked them at all on the hard pack. I think its because of the tip rocker; as hard as I tried, I couldn't engage the tip that kept fluffing over the snow and it was like if I had to ski with skis too shorts for me: they became very unstable and shaky if I ride too fast or tried to be more demanding). I think they would be terrific for someone near 190 (I'm 215 lbs) because I had a lot of fun in bumps and trees (and they have great grip on ice ) Since last year, I'm on Dynastar Sultan Legend 85 and I would'nt change it for the Bushwaker... I tried them because even if i love the Legend, i would like skis more light, less of a tank.

 

I will keep searching! Any suggestions?
 

 



If you're a bigger guy it's very easy to overpower the Bushwacker.  I have the same feeling as you and we're about the same weight.

It is a very lightweight ski that works best for a lighter or less agressive skier.  They're really easy for the intermediate skier to ski but

a heavier more aggressive skier will find limitations in the ski.   I wish we had made it one size longer.  The ski was designed to be

a bit of a crossover ski for the European touring market as it is very lightweight for what it is.  Unfortunately there are no Blizzard skis

to reccomend that would replace your legend 85.  I would say the 8.7 but those tend to be slightly more groomer specific and not really

a great comparison to the Legend 85.  You'll have to wait one more year for a Blizzard that would be comparable.  Rossi E88, Kastle 88,

Kendo, might be a better ski for your size.

post #65 of 72

IM leaning towards the Kendo but I'm still hesitating because of his stiffness...I do a lot of Glades and moguls... but at the same time, stiffness could be ok for a 210 skier, no?

post #66 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post

In that waist width range, the Head Peak 90 has a very light touch, yet is a more powerful ski than the BW.  Volkl Kendo is very stable and powerful, but a bit heavier, it seemed.  Rossi E88 is a very good ski and worth trying (no metal, not too heavy), as is the Elan Apex; has metal and a milled out core, so very light for the weight.  None of these feel overly damp or heavy.  I only sell the Elan and Head, but have skied or owned the others, and like them all (we also sell Dynastar, and the Sultan 85 has a damp, glued to the snow feel. I can relate.  Some love it, some don't).  
 

 



I still think that the Sultan 85 is an awesome ski to introduce someone to all mountain skiing because you can really count on it and it give you the confident to go  to a next level... but ounce you're there, it shows its limitations ( too heavy)...

 

post #67 of 72

I'm only 165 - 170 pounds and the kendo is great in the bumps for me - it's not so stiff that it throws me around, so I doubt it would be an issue for you.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogsie View Post

IM leaning towards the Kendo but I'm still hesitating because of his stiffness...I do a lot of Glades and moguls... but at the same time, stiffness could be ok for a 210 skier, no?



 

post #68 of 72

Ok! So I finally exchange it for the Kendo. I'm still a little nervous about the stiffness but I decided to give it a chance. It was the second choice after the Bushwaker at the shop where I bought them.

They really are confident about it! I think it will be nice!smile.gif

Thank you guys for your advises! May the snow be with you!!!!snowfalling.gif

post #69 of 72
Quote:

 

It would be much better to be an awesome skier on a crappy ski than a crappy skier on an awesome ski. 

 

 

I think this is one of the wisest things I've heard on this forum yet!  

 

Over Christmas I saw a guy skiing Red Dog Face at Squaw (the only "black" open on the mountain) on a pair of MX88's.  From my vantage point going over on the lift right above, the guy was absolutely flailing--clearly on a run way above his ability level.  It was painful to watch somebody on kick-ass skis not really having the slightest clue how to ski them.  He was complete back-seat while skidding off the run sideways and then falling on his side.  Granted, there were rocks, twigs, ice and dirt on that run that day (I skied it once and said "screw this"), but I saw plenty of european skiers on rental K2's skiing that shit with perfect "1980's" parallel form straight out of Hot Dog. 

 

The same day I saw a dude on 190 Volkl Shiro's and beaming about them as if they were made for ice, dirt and rocks....  To me, it's much more impressive seeing someone skiing a powder board on ice and looking good doing it then it is seeing someone skiing an expensive front-side oriented ski in the same condition and flailing...

 

Skiing the current conditions in Squaw really give you a chance to to observe and learn from the better skiers on the mountain, especially when there are only like 2 runs open.  The true experts could be skiing antique wooden ski's from the 1930's in those conditions and look great doing it.  I had to quietly laugh at the ski's and gear some of the European's were rocking that I shared lift rides with that day.  But I was very quickly humbled when they proceeded to bomb those dreadful runs in perfect technique while sporting shitty equipment.  

 

 

 

post #70 of 72

Yes...it is very wise thinking... but I will add 2 things:

About the persons that ski like crap on nice skis: at least, they skis and they help to pay the bills...as long as they don't hurt anybody...

About the true experts : I'm always amazed and appreciative...and I take it as a reminder of what I am trying to achieve... They add to the beauty of the day...and about the ones who ski on crap; well, by not buying new equipment, they help to fight global warming and disparition of the snow...biggrin.gif

post #71 of 72

Finally pulled the trigger on a pair of mx88's about a week ago and nothing but good things to say. I'm coming from rc4's and a pair of progressor's so I was looking for something a little wider for the east coast that could still rip and boy are these great. They really come as advertized. I must say the conditions were not great, not much fresh snow, mostly man-made with a few icy patches. I would probably have been better off with my Progressors but I couldn't wait any longer to try them.  Powerful, no speed limit, really stable at any speed. When doing a litle bigger arcs the ride is like a cadillac..incredible. The ski is always asking for more so be ready. On the other hand they were very versatile, felt very comfortable in bumps & trees and absolutely blasted through any crud. The skis were very responsive and precise and I could only imagine how even better they will be when we get a few inches of fresh snow..can't wait. I think this is pretty much as close to a one ski quiver you can get.  I bought these without a demo or anything, mostly based on this thread actually and let me tell you if anybody is on the fense and thinking of purchasing these skis, they actually live up to the hype if it's at all possible. I don't wanna repeat what everybody has already said about them so let me just thank those who contributed to this thread Re-Skier, Ski314, Philpug, DAWG and everybody else. Thanks for making me spend another g on a ski..lol well worth it I guess!

 

On a side note, my brother purchased a pair of mx78's on the same day with me and I also skied them a few days later and I must say I was left speechless. For the conditions we were skiing in (cold eastern hardpacks) the 78's were even better suited. Seriously, If you live in the east and you don't own the mx78 you are missing out on something special.  Don't read any reviews, don't ask questions, just save up some cash, go to a ski shop a get yourself a pair of mx78 and be happy. I don't even want to start describing the how they left me feeling because I won't find the words.

 

post #72 of 72

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Gear Reviews
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Member Gear Reviews › 4 days at Alta on MX88s and Bonafides