New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

360 HELP

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Hi,

 

 So today was the first day I actually tried a 360 and my first try I did barely over a 180, next try I did a little more rotation and crashed, the next try I got like a 270, then I tried one more time only with a little more speed, I tried to commit as much as possible, I did just over like a 270 and felt I got more air than the last few times, I took a bad fall, the last times one my falls my skis actually came off and it didn't hurt, this time my ski didn't come off and when I got back up my left calve and shin hurt like crazy where the top of the boot had forcefully levered into my leg somehow and I could barely ski back down, infact I was limping around for a bit. I feel like my ski popping off would completely rid of the problem, my DIN is set correctly. If you don't know what I am talking about, have you ever jumped off of a cliff too far backseat with an icy landing and barely rode out way back? Your boot presses hard into your calves and makes it sore where they contacted. I am thinking this might keep me out for a few days because it's my shin and back of my leg for some reason. Should I wait for some powder before I try again? and why can't I get the complete spin around? I think the jump is big enough because I saw someone 720 on a jump half the size.

 

I am willing to keep trying and trying but my crash on my last run definately left me on a bad note. I have my leg iced in hopes I will be able to ski tommorow.


Edited by drainbamage - 12/23/11 at 5:44pm
post #2 of 16

Took me a few years to really feel comfortable hucking 3's. Practice spinning on groomers without getting any air. Once you can fluidly spin on the ground, you'll have a better sense of where on your edge you should be on your landing. Then you won't eat shit every time you land slightly off rotation.

 

From there, focus on popping 180's. Riding and landing switch really got me comfortable with spinning a full 3.

 

From there, practice, practice, practice. I find it easier spinning off of lips than kickers, so I'd look for a catwalk that drops out. Obviously have a downhill spotter to make sure there's no traffic coming on the catwalk or below the lip. Nothing's more obnoxious than people pulling tricks while putting other people at risk.

 

I can just about spin a 3 by hopping off of my tails now so you really don't need much air. Wait for some fluffy snow and don't forget to commit to a full rotation.

post #3 of 16

There are quite a few threads if you do a search. 

 

Here is a stop frame image from A-basin last season...

 

LL

post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 

I got my 180's down and I am decent switch although I could be better.

 

Dang a couple years is a long time. In like 20 ski days if I really work on 360's could I get them pretty much down? And then when could I incorporate some style? I know it takes forever and I am just starting to get comfortable throwing big airs but I'll work on it a lot knowing I will definately eat sh*t here and there.

post #5 of 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post

I got my 180's down and I am decent switch although I could be better.

 

Dang a couple years is a long time. In like 20 ski days if I really work on 360's could I get them pretty much down? And then when could I incorporate some style? I know it takes forever and I am just starting to get comfortable throwing big airs but I'll work on it a lot knowing I will definately eat sh*t here and there.



I think you can pretty much get the hang of it in a couple of days if you have some decent pow. For me, the technique, like most of skiing, was about muscle memory. I had a day with lots of falls, slept on it, and the next day I seemed to have the hang of it. What took a couple years was getting to the point where it felt second nature. Where I didn't need to psyche myself up to huck, and just did them. I'm still reticent to spin on huge kickers. Then again, I don't have age on my side any more.

 

Are you comfortable spinning 180's from switch as well?

post #6 of 16

This guy sums up exactly how to do it.   The key is to lead with your head, well that's how I learned how to do it.    Learning in powder is also the best way, cause it doesn't hurt...most of the time lol

 

post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhh View Post

This guy sums up exactly how to do it.   The key is to lead with your head, well that's how I learned how to do it.    Learning in powder is also the best way, cause it doesn't hurt...most of the time lol

 



I would strongly disagree with how that guy teaches 3s, setting your spin and spinning your entire body at once is a far more effective and stylish way to spin than the way he advocates (pre rotating your shoulders and head). How is he ever going to grab his skis if his body is continually 90 degrees ahead? Just watch the only demo he gives (and nearly crashes) to see that he has no idea what he is talking about. Yes you want to be looking round the spin, but at the same time as your body, not ahead of it. 

 

If you can find a side hit that's a bit like a hip, taking off in the same direction as you spin, that'll help a lot, as you will need to spin less to get the 3 around. Also if you can find a pipe, or even a bank, and practice alley oops (180s up the hill), that'll get you feeling how a 3 will come around. Failing that, find a jump and huck yourself as hard as you can. I took a few laps with a new instructor here the other day, he had done a few 3s before, but never off park jumps, first hit he landed a three, next lap almost got 5s. It's all about attitude, balls are your friend!

post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim. View Post



I would strongly disagree with how that guy teaches 3s, setting your spin and spinning your entire body at once is a far more effective and stylish way to spin than the way he advocates (pre rotating your shoulders and head). How is he ever going to grab his skis if his body is continually 90 degrees ahead? Just watch the only demo he gives (and nearly crashes) to see that he has no idea what he is talking about. Yes you want to be looking round the spin, but at the same time as your body, not ahead of it. 

 

If you can find a side hit that's a bit like a hip, taking off in the same direction as you spin, that'll help a lot, as you will need to spin less to get the 3 around. Also if you can find a pipe, or even a bank, and practice alley oops (180s up the hill), that'll get you feeling how a 3 will come around. Failing that, find a jump and huck yourself as hard as you can. I took a few laps with a new instructor here the other day, he had done a few 3s before, but never off park jumps, first hit he landed a three, next lap almost got 5s. It's all about attitude, balls are your friend!

 

He did a 360 with like 2' of air, most people couldn't do that with 6' of air.  I really don't care how graceful he was when he did the trick, he's teaching you "HOW" to successfully accomplish a 360.  The OP can't even do a full rotation and you're talking about how pretty he looks in the air and ski grabs?  How about we throw in a tail grab while he learns.   The OP needs to learn how speed up and actually land and be confident in the landing and not eat it everytime, which means he needs to speed up and spinning the whole body with his head will slow him down.  The most basic fundamental of learning a 360 on skis is "Lead with your Head".   I would really like to see a video of you showing your awesome skills at 360...bet it's not pretty.

 

 

post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhh View Post

 

He did a 360 with like 2' of air, most people couldn't do that with 6' of air.  I really don't care how graceful he was when he did the trick, he's teaching you "HOW" to successfully accomplish a 360.  The OP can't even do a full rotation and you're talking about how pretty he looks in the air and ski grabs?  How about we throw in a tail grab while he learns.   The OP needs to learn how speed up and actually land and be confident in the landing and not eat it everytime, which means he needs to speed up and spinning the whole body with his head will slow him down.  The most basic fundamental of learning a 360 on skis is "Lead with your Head".   I would really like to see a video of you showing your awesome skills at 360...bet it's not pretty.

 

 

Helicopters are flat spins, you don't need much air at all.
 

 

post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

Helicopters are flat spins, you don't need much air at all.
 

 


When you're learning you do or you under rotate and fall on your face, or worse.  For beginners you need to spot your landing and have your body follow, or you'll keep falling and lose confidence.

 

post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhh View Post


When you're learning you do or you under rotate and fall on your face, or worse.  For beginners you need to spot your landing and have your body follow, or you'll keep falling and lose confidence.

 



I disagree. For learning, a spine or a step up is easiest to learn on, you can cheat with a 270 and work it around. I have been doing them for 30+ years and I can still cheat them around for an old fart. 

post #12 of 16
The OP's problem is rotation speed, leading with the head before the pop will speed him up.
post #13 of 16


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhh View Post

 

He did a 360 with like 2' of air, most people couldn't do that with 6' of air.  I really don't care how graceful he was when he did the trick, he's teaching you "HOW" to successfully accomplish a 360.  The OP can't even do a full rotation and you're talking about how pretty he looks in the air and ski grabs?  How about we throw in a tail grab while he learns.   The OP needs to learn how speed up and actually land and be confident in the landing and not eat it everytime, which means he needs to speed up and spinning the whole body with his head will slow him down.  The most basic fundamental of learning a 360 on skis is "Lead with your Head".   I would really like to see a video of you showing your awesome skills at 360...bet it's not pretty.

 

 


Surely the point of an instructional video would be to show people the best way to do it though, so being good at doing them yourself might be a good place to start. I never said that you shouldn't look through the rotation, I just think setting your spin with your hands, then rotating your whole body together is more likely to get results, along with looking better. Plus I gave him a progression to work through, got problems with that too? Also, why would you think my threes wouldn't be pretty? I'm a qualified park and pipe coach, full cert instructor and teach people how to do threes all year round every year, what quals do you have that make you such an internet ski god? No vids, but how about some photos.67557_446545042382_508737382_5049167_8206885_n.jpg33550_446544362382_508737382_5049150_2824296_n.jpg

 

No, not the prettiest, but tidy enough. Yours?

 

post #14 of 16


 

 
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim. View Post


 


Surely the point of an instructional video would be to show people the best way to do it though, so being good at doing them yourself might be a good place to start. I never said that you shouldn't look through the rotation, I just think setting your spin with your hands, then rotating your whole body together is more likely to get results, along with looking better. Plus I gave him a progression to work through, got problems with that too? Also, why would you think my threes wouldn't be pretty? I'm a qualified park and pipe coach, full cert instructor and teach people how to do threes all year round every year, what quals do you have that make you such an internet ski god? No vids, but how about some photos.67557_446545042382_508737382_5049167_8206885_n.jpg33550_446544362382_508737382_5049150_2824296_n.jpg

 

No, not the prettiest, but tidy enough. Yours?

 



Not pretty enough? I would kill to be able to 3 with half that style. I don't have a park to try my 3's in (alta) but I am just going to wait for fresh snow before I try 3's again and work on 180's for now.

post #16 of 16

Powder, and huck it, what else do you need to know? Lol, trying some butter 3's will help, butter around 180 at first, pop and spin, then do 90, then three. Thats how I learned, my 3's are still sketchy though, listen to Jim, he's alot better than most of us.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Instruction & Coaching