EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › best boilerplate carvers?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

best boilerplate carvers?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

Hi all, 

 

Looking for the top boilerplate carvers of the past couple of seasons. What would you recommend and why? Suggestions for short radius, medium radius, and large radius skis welcome! 

post #2 of 21

Anton Gliders

post #3 of 21

The FIS-legal SL, GS, and SG skis made by the brand of your choice, in the length that suits your skill and morphology, and the year that suits your price?

 

Race skis are pretty much one-trick ponies, but carving boilerplate is the trick they do really, really well..

post #4 of 21

I find the Stockli SX to be a reasonable choice for most front-side conditions, including ice and variable/changing. It's 70mm wide under foot, and in my 178cm length is a 17 meter radius. This is a non-FIS skier-cross ski.

post #5 of 21

Kastle RX12, Stockli SX, Fischer Progressor 9+/10+/1000, Blizzard SLR IQ and Supersonic, Head Supershape series, Elan Waveflex 14 are a few good ones. Most any ski brand with a race pedigree and racers on the WC offer an exceptional carver. 

post #6 of 21

Out in California, we are getting more and more into "boilerplate carvers". I'm buying another pair of Stockli XL's for the situation. they totally rip. man, these conditions really emphasize a skis performance. It broke my heart to tear up my XL's on this sketch coverage, so I had to do something for the pain: buy another pair.

post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoisvert View Post

The FIS-legal SL, GS, and SG skis made by the brand of your choice, in the length that suits your skill and morphology, and the year that suits your price?

 

Race skis are pretty much one-trick ponies, but carving boilerplate is the trick they do really, really well..



I hadn't skied on my race skis for a couple of years and almost forgot how good it feels.  With the FIS changing rules yet again, you'll be able to pick up il- legal skis cheap, cheap, cheap.

I feel bad for all the race families that have to buy all new skis!

post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post

Kastle RX12, Stockli SX, Fischer Progressor 9+/10+/1000, Blizzard SLR IQ and Supersonic, Head Supershape series, Elan Waveflex 14 are a few good ones. Most any ski brand with a race pedigree and racers on the WC offer an exceptional carver. 


Another vote on the Blizzard SLR IQ's as well as the GSR IQ's. I'm selling my SLR IQ's though. Too short. Most importantly, on the skies mentioned above. A dam good tune from someone that knows what they are doing.

 

post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonfme View Post


Another vote on the Blizzard SLR IQ's as well as the GSR IQ's. I'm selling my SLR IQ's though. Too short. Most importantly, on the skies mentioned above. A dam good tune from someone that knows what they are doing.

 



I'd say the tune is the second most important thing.  IMHO, most important things when it comes to a ski holding on boilerplate:

  1. A damn good pilot who knows what they're doing
  2. A damn good tune from somebody who knows what they're doing
  3. The skis

 

There are skis that sure will make the pilot's life easier, but without #1 and #2, you are going to lose.

 

All that said, my vote into the "best boilerplate carver" are the Blizzard G-Power FS IQ skis (these)

post #10 of 21

NON-Fis Atomic D2 GS Med. Radius 18.4 in a 179

 

Non-FIS Atomic D2 SL Short Radius   11.5M in a 165cm

 

 

Long Radius  any Atomic D2 Super-G   34.5 in a 201cm

 

 

Don't kid yourself, you don't need a FIS ski. Generally speaking they have too big a radious (GS particulalry for freeskiing) and are way too stiff longitudianlly.

 

In oreder to ski biolerplate you need  torsional stiffness not longitudianl stiffness (And to carve on it lots of skill, particulalry as the slope steepens)  but you have got to be able to bend the ski into an ARC, hence my recommendation to go for the smaller racius master's Race GS & SL!

 

No choice bu FIS on the SG's but the 201 at 34.5 is women's ski!

 

 

 

post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post

Don't kid yourself, you don't need a FIS ski. Generally speaking they have too big a radious (GS particulalry for freeskiing) and are way too stiff longitudianlly.


I agree you don't need one.  It's just the easiest way to make sure you're getting a real ski that's torsionally stiff and grips like crazy on boilerplate.  I haven't been on nearly as many skis as a lot of the folks here, but the consumer race skis I've been on that have less metal, etc don't hold as well as the real thing.

 

There's no rule you have to follow the FIS regs for your category, though.  I've got a pair of women's GS skis (178cm, >23m) that are great on boilerplate and perfectly manageable for me (at 5'7", 165lbs).  You could also go older and get a >21m ski.  Either way, my only real point was that race skis are where it's at for this, and if you don't know the category really well, looking for the FIS legal ones makes sure you're getting the real thing and not a consumer ski with the same topsheet but different construction that won't work as well.

 

I've heard great things about the non-FIS D2 skis you suggested btw, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

post #12 of 21

I skied 3 skis back to back at a Demo days.

 

All non-FIS

 

Fischer Rc4 Pro 175cm 

 

Head i.speed 180cm

 

Atomic D2 Gs 179cm

 

The Head and the Fischer were so damn onitudianally stiff and ridiculously damp, that I knew they would be unmanagable in a Race Course for me. And these were the NON-FIS Master's skis.

When i cam back the fischer Rep. siad, if you think the 175cm is stiff (and he knew they were)  he said the 180 is a total beast.

 

All the skis held well. it was a very hard snow day, but the Atomic's held better then the other 2 and were so much smoother yet lievelier and much easier to ski. The tip wasa softer so they hooked up and started bending more easily but became progressively beefier as the control deck began engaging.

 

Al my ski buddies boiught a pair too. We bought 5 pair of them at once. This was at the begining of lat season. All these guys can ski andall of hte kids were top notch Junior racers all the way to J1's .

 

this is all of theri favorite ski.

 

 

I have a garage full of FIS legal Atomic GS and Slaloms and 212 Atomic downhill, 209 SG and 204 Super G. A Head 188 i.GS Race Stock, HGEad i.SL RD

 

I skied on the D2 almost exclusievely last year unless there was pow or a few daysmid-week on my 209 SG's!

post #13 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post

I have a garage full of FIS legal Atomic GS and Slaloms and 212 Atomic downhill, 209 SG and 204 Super G. A Head 188 i.GS Race Stock, HGEad i.SL R

 

 Yould prolly sell some of those at bargain bin prices before your garage is totally full.biggrin.gif

post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post

Kastle RX12, Stockli SX, Fischer Progressor 9+/10+/1000, Blizzard SLR IQ and Supersonic, Head Supershape series, Elan Waveflex 14 are a few good ones. Most any ski brand with a race pedigree and racers on the WC offer an exceptional carver. 



The Stockli Laser SC is still produced and skis differently depending upon the length.  Not a FIS ski, but not particularly tiring or demanding either.  I'm still waiting to demo the SX and CX.  There are a lot of good carvers and "lite" race skis out there, and most of the "smoother" ones seem to be still be made the old fashioned way.   I just wish I could demo more of them like dawgcatching.

post #15 of 21

Hands down: Blizzard G-Power or if you're looking for a rec racer, R-Power. Most grip this side of actual racing skis, quiet, very light and very quick to initiate, go edge to edge. 

post #16 of 21

I skied the Dynastar Omeglass ti today in 165cm: the tune "out of the wrapper" sucked, but the ski was super fun.  Going to get an edge on it tonight and give it another go tomorrow.  Very powerful in short to medium radius arcs, easy to ski too, instant feedback.

 

post #17 of 21

Is that a FIS Omeglass, or consumer? I have a pair of wish year old Omeglass64s (that I got from Erik Schlopy) which grip on ice like nothing else. You pretty much can't even tell you are on ice. I'm talking about serious hardcore eastern ice where I'd just hold on and ride the slide on just about any other ski.

 

It's hard to imagine any consumer ski that grips like a FIS ski does, but I think the best one I've been on in that department is the Kastle RX. I'd love to have a go with the Atomic D2 cheaters though. The Blizzard Supersonic I tried last year was good on ice, I just didn't like everything else about the ski, I felt kind of detached from it, like it gripped fine and turned fine, but it didn't really want me to be involved in the process of skiing it.

post #18 of 21

The other plus with the D2's is that Atomic's factory tune is simply amazing. A perfect, cermic disc finish exact 1/3. I dind't touch mine out of the wrapper and the skied perfectly.

post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

Is that a FIS Omeglass, or consumer? I have a pair of wish year old Omeglass64s (that I got from Erik Schlopy) which grip on ice like nothing else. You pretty much can't even tell you are on ice. I'm talking about serious hardcore eastern ice where I'd just hold on and ride the slide on just about any other ski.

 

It's hard to imagine any consumer ski that grips like a FIS ski does, but I think the best one I've been on in that department is the Kastle RX. I'd love to have a go with the Atomic D2 cheaters though. The Blizzard Supersonic I tried last year was good on ice, I just didn't like everything else about the ski, I felt kind of detached from it, like it gripped fine and turned fine, but it didn't really want me to be involved in the process of skiing it.



Yeah, the RX is the ballsiest "consumer" ski I have ever been on.  It is close to race stock in feel, fully functional in gates.  I would imagine that a off-the-shelf SL FIS ski would be super fun: not a true race stock that only sponsored guys get, but just something like a Fischer WC SL is going to hold awfully well. 

 

 

post #20 of 21

Blossom's Flere SL race carver!!!

 

Why? : more fogiving than a fis skil, w all the bite!

(&BSmeter.gif I am the importer!!!)

post #21 of 21

How does the Dynastar Omeglass compare to the Dynastar Speed Course Ti ?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › best boilerplate carvers?