post #1 of 29

Recently I've found myself at home more than usual.  For a certain reason, stealing away for a sunrise hike with the dogs hasn't been as easy as in the past.  Luckily (did I really just call it that), the snow hasn't begun falling in the Tahoe basin just yet.  But this year, for me, that's okay.

With all this time at home I've found myself perusing some usual internet forums.  This, TGR, and a pitcher-takin' forum.  Without a doubt, too many.  But I was inspired.  In the TGR photo forum and the other photo forums there are many people who are attempting a picture-a-day project.  1 photo, each day, for a year.  They can't possibly be your greatest shot each day.  Sometimes they must be, well, average.  But the point is to practice, envision, and try something new.

I've been stuck close to home, but here I am, 6 days in to 365, and I thought I'd share a little.

Keeping in mind, I've been close to home.

day 1 (an unplanned but very necessary trip to the store late at night)

p156796126-4.jpg

day 2 (still life of a very deserved, shared bottle of wine at home)

p1037675219-4.jpg

day 3 (on this day, I wasn't only able to get the dogs out for a hike, but encouraged to get the dogs the hell out.  still life of granite)

p21541571-4.jpg

day 4.  much closer to home.  a quiet day with a quiet photo.

p132408755-4.jpg

day 5.  the Heisman announced.  I've never watched so much t.v.  At least it's college basketball season and Nevada ain't bad.

p868899674-4.jpg

and day 6.  a discarded unopened flower from day 4 found on the floor.

p405164932-4.jpg

and I guess after all this, I should mention why I've been stuck at home.

Aiden Mikel Brown arrived on November 30, 2011 at 19:57

this is him, 25 minutes after he arrived.

p1067466369-4.jpg

and the first full day home.

p208865152-4.jpg

Thanks for readin'

post #2 of 29
Beautiful.

In so many ways.

Many congratulations to you and Mom and little Aiden.
post #3 of 29

Wow, your picture a day is pretty amazing, right down to the best reason of all for being home.  

Welcome to the world lil' Aiden!

post #4 of 29

should be an interesting year

post #5 of 29

thanks Bob and Trish...  It's amazing how long the days are at 1am, but how fast they go when split into a million 2 hour increments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ster View Post

should be an interesting year

the wife swears I'll be able to snowboard.  Or at least get out for dawn patrols.  Which, admittedly, if I had to a limited amount of skiing, it would be pow day dawn patrols and my trip down to tioga with dakota, and this year esme, in the spring.

I actually believe I'll get more, but if I don't, my wife is very committed to sleeping in with Aiden while I climb some goddamn hill at 5:00 in the morning to ski a couple of laps at sunrise and be home by 9:00 to take over and be Dad.

Besides, that's the good light for photos and it beats the kooks with guns skinning in the daytime rolleyes.gif.

I do love driving down the hill when all the other subarus and tacomas with splitboards and tele binders are driving up...

And by the time tioga opens, she'll probably need a break from dakota, ez, and me...

post #6 of 29

Congratulations, Splitter and Mrs. S! The first photo of your beautiful baby boy now graces our homepage. 

(Don't worry about the time away from the slopes. The mountains will be waiting for you. Your baby, on the other hand, is growing up at an incredible pace, and if you miss a minute you'll miss out.) 

post #7 of 29

Great pics!  I have a little guy coming at the end of January and have been wondering what my ski life will look like post-baby. Should be an interesting and wonderful time. Congrats!

post #8 of 29

Congrats!!  My wife and I had our first on Dec 21 almost 2 years ago.  (can't believe how fast time goes)  You may not get as many days on the mountain, but they will definitely be enjoyable.  And just think, it won't be long before you have a little buddy to take along to the mountain. 

post #9 of 29

Major congrats!  IMHO, one of the most beautiful moments in life...seeing and experiencing your new child the first time.  So moving.  As a father of very small children (4 yrs and 20 mos), I admit to being worried about how it would impact my winter activities.  It definitely did have an impact, but I still get out a decent amount, but am anxious to not be gone too long.  This year, I will really be working to get out with my oldest son since he has shown an interest in "going skiing with daddy in the mountains"...which thrills me.  I expect I'll have less Epic days where I go from first tracks to the closing bell and probably more time chilling on the bunny hill with him as he practices making snow plows. The excitement of get as many huge days as I could, has now been replaced by the excitement of starting to share an activity that I love with a person that I love.  Life has a weird way of always evolving and replacing the old with new.  Enjoy!

post #10 of 29

Ah, now -- that's what it's all about!  Congratulations !!!  And on my birthday, too!  Welcome, you little Sag, you.  Couldn't ask for a better day to be born!

Stick around for a while, Splitter.  This is going to be good.  (And tiresome -- gotta sleep in shifts for a few weeks.  Or months.)

post #11 of 29

Congratulations. Love that last picture. You guys have wonderful opportunities ahead of you  - take it slow -soak it in and enjoy. Live in the present. Locknload, you are in for a change of life -those days with your four year old will soon be your favorite times and the occasional challenge with the boys will become an occasional diversion. Who knew green runs could be so much fun!

post #12 of 29

As a Dad whose only kid is mostly grown (19 years old and off at college) I miss those baby years.  (At least in the warm, fuzzy glow of memory.)

Get him involved in what you like to do.  It's what he is going to want, anyway.  (Well, thats a few years off still.  And toned down for a few more, but still tons of fun.).

post #13 of 29

Congratulations on the new life you and your wife brought into the world.  I'm also impressed that you are tackling the 365 photo challenge.  Photography is one of my hobbies, but I have yet to try something like that.  

post #14 of 29

Congrats Splitter!

post #15 of 29

Splitter, like your pictures; beautiful.  You are going to miss a bunch of days on the mountain, and that is how it supposed to be.

In 30 or 40 years you'll have a lot more vivid happy memories about raising kids than skiing probably.  Enjoy every moment that you can of parenthood.

post #16 of 29

While all of your pictures are beautiful, the ones of your newborn are just precious!  It seems so long ago that my teenagers were like that.  Congratulations to you and your wife.

post #17 of 29

Thank you all for the well wishes.  

I'm definitely not too sad about missing a few ski days this year.  Hell, it ain't even snowed in Tahoe.  I'm lucky, my work gives me 8 weeks of paternity leave.  I've taken two to spend these first couple of weeks with him and my wife.

She'll be off until the end of January, maybe a little into February, and then I'll take over, mainly working 3 days a week until summer when she is off (she's a school teacher).

In light of that, and 2 grandmas overselling themselves to beat each other at watching the little man, I'll be able to sneak out for a few.  But as mentioned, the excitement for our new family far outweighs some ski days.  Hell, climbing a mountain for a few pow turns is almost as tiring as learning a baby (winkeez).

I also can't wait until I'm able to spend days with him on green groomers.  We are also lucky as we have the Sky Tavern Junior Ski Program here in Reno.  Which is essentially like youth sports, akin to soccer or little league, for the youngin's to learn to ski or snowboard.  I'll get stuck teaching a few classes I'm sure, but it is also right on the way to my usual skintracks.

I was able to sneak in a quick photo between diapers today.

p810346282-4.jpg

post #18 of 29

Congrats,, it wont be long before he is beating you down the slopes. (I cant keep up with any of my 3 anymore)

post #19 of 29

Enjoy the time it goes way too fast.....congrats!

post #20 of 29

You know, it wouldn't be too difficult to ski with Little Splitter in a chest sling on bunny hills and greens. Those would be great pics to go along with the future NASTAR and Olympic tryout pics.

Congrats! beercheer.gif

post #21 of 29

Congratulations on the newly arrived bundle of joy.

365 consecutive days of imaging is a great task to set for yourself. Your photo chops will grow and you'll push yourself in directions that you've yet to conceive of. Should result in quite a portfolio.

You've got some marvelous days dead ahead. Smooth sailing and hope that you all love every minute of the journey.

post #22 of 29

Welcome Little Bear

Mr. & Mrs. Splitter welcome to the best days of your lives

icon14.gif beercheer.gif

post #23 of 29

Mazel Tov! What a blessing, it's a great time of life.

Seems like only yesterday I brought my first baby home, hard to believe he's in high school. Thanks for the beautiful pictures.

BTW, I hate to have to tell you this, but we kooks with guns go out at dawn too. No worries.... wink.gif

post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilehed View Post

Mazel Tov! What a blessing, it's a great time of life.

Seems like only yesterday I brought my first baby home, hard to believe he's in high school. Thanks for the beautiful pictures.

BTW, I hate to have to tell you this, but we kooks with guns go out at dawn too. No worries.... wink.gif

Thanks for taking a look.  I have a hard time believing, even as slow as I've been known to skin at dawn, that you'll beat me to the top of my hill, from (is it) Louisiana(?) for a quick ski down before work.  Most of the kooks from Incline Village don't.  With or without guns.

winkeez!!!

post #25 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by splitter View Post

Thanks for taking a look.  I have a hard time believing, even as slow as I've been known to skin at dawn, that you'll beat me to the top of my hill, from (is it) Louisiana(?) for a quick ski down before work.  Most of the kooks from Incline Village don't.  With or without guns.

winkeez!!!

biggrin.gif  Wish I was close enough to try!

Michigan, but I grew up in South Florida.

post #26 of 29

How's the photo journal going?  (baiting for pics of baby splitter)

post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

How's the photo journal going?  (baiting for pics of baby splitter)

Hey TC, just noticed this got bumped.

365 is quite a project to undertake with a new baby.  I've been shooting, I haven't been processing much.  Here's a few randoms and some of the little man...

p565092580-3.jpg

p636274372-3.jpg

p446267343-3.jpg

p387715609-3.jpg

p71362390-3.jpg

p978615615-3.jpg

p827001359-3.jpg

p293148062-3.jpg

p625119420-3.jpg

post #28 of 29

Congratulations, Splitter!

As usual, I am late to the thread (that's what happens when one is pregnant, injured, and bitter about not being able to ski . . . until she realizes that there is no skiing to be had this year).

Great shots, Splitter. Thanks for sharing! Aiden is awesome and your photos are, as usual, stunning.

I'm due 2/11 . . . so anytime. Sitting and waiting. Got my first SLR for Christmas. Guess I should start practicing now, eh? My husband is also somewhat of a photog, so I am sure there will be plenty to post . . . if I can ever get him to process. rolleyes.gif

Looking forward to seeing more of your 365.

D.

post #29 of 29

Beautiful photos

Beautiful and healthy looking baby - CONGRATS!

Being a dad is good now and will be great in the future

My son turns 17 on Friday and we are going skiing together on Saturday.  Did I mention that he is way better than I will ever be?

Enjoy these years while your kids are home, they are over way to quickly.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports