New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tahoe 17th & 18th

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

I'm flying in to Reno next weekend and planning to ski Sat/Sun.

Looking for a little guidance, and best conditions driving from Reno.

 

Also, would be glad to join up with someone if interestedicon14.gif

 

Thanks

 

Ray

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #2 of 8

Unfortunately we have little natural snow, but it's been pretty cold so the snow guns have been going, If you come up the 80 from the airport, in Truckee you can take 267 to Northstar, which appears to have the most terrain open, or take the 89 to Squaw and Alpine. Squaw has some of the lower mountain open, Alpine opens this weekend. Mt Rose also opens this weekend - don't know what they have for coverage. You can access Mt. Rose from the 431 (Mt. Rose Hwy) just south of Reno.

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1254 View Post

Unfortunately we have little natural snow, but it's been pretty cold so the snow guns have been going, If you come up the 80 from the airport, in Truckee you can take 267 to Northstar, which appears to have the most terrain open, or take the 89 to Squaw and Alpine. Squaw has some of the lower mountain open, Alpine opens this weekend. Mt Rose also opens this weekend - don't know what they have for coverage. You can access Mt. Rose from the 431 (Mt. Rose Hwy) just south of Reno.


Thanks,

I'll start a list with those you've listed and pull the trigger as the weekend approaches.

Since I've never skied the Tahoe area, I may try a couple areas for future vacations.

 

 

post #4 of 8


I would say bring rock skis. By the 17 and 18 the weather may start to turn, but it will need to get with the program. I'm hearing Northstar has the most runs to offer, Squaw is the Red Dog ribbon of death, haven't hit Alpine yet, but probably not much more then Round House there. 

 

Pray for SNOW!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayl1964 View Post

I'm flying in to Reno next weekend and planning to ski Sat/Sun.

Looking for a little guidance, and best conditions driving from Reno.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 

Man, I was hoping to get some runs in on my new skis. I guess its rent time, and save my bases for Feb. trip.

 

North Star is currently my first choice.

 

post #6 of 8

You could bring them if you stayed in the middle of the runs at Northstar. However don't let a little new snow tempt you into going off piste, if you did that they won't be new for long.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayl1964 View Post

Man, I was hoping to get some runs in on my new skis. I guess its rent time, and save my bases for Feb. trip.

 

North Star is currently my first choice.

 



 

post #7 of 8

There is some snow in the forecast for the end of next week, so pray that it holds up.  Northstar has way more open than anywhere else - it's not even close right now.

post #8 of 8

not sure but i think heavenly has the best stuff now. Comet and dipper are running up at 10k feet with the intermediate cruiser trails. Nstar is worthless without the steeper trails because  the intermediate is too easy. Alpine has just roundhouse, squaw- red dog which is ok. So definitely check it out before you go so not to be disappointed

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion