I've turned to here successfully for advice in the past and I've been an avid reader who has been swept up in the momentum related to the Bonafides, but I'm seriously second guessing my decision and wanted to gather opinions before i get these things mounted
East Coast 5'9" 185 pounds
I wouldn't rate myself as an 8 or 9 -- even 7 is a stretch but i'm pretty self critical. I ski 20-30 days a season here on the east coast primarily at sunday river or sugarbush. Take a trip out west every year to Colorado, Utah, Tahoe, etc
I'm currently on a pair of Volkl AC30s with a length of 170. I really enjoy them, but when I go out west I always rent skis, and as myself and my friends are getting more experienced, we're finding ourselves in bumps and trees much more, which is a task I've always found brutal. To be clear, I am 100% sure that my form is the lion's share of the problem, and I'll take lessons to make myself a better skier, but I'm also pretty certain that the AC30s aren't really the tool for the job for me, so I started looking to increase my quiver. My primary problems being bumps, crud, powder, and trees. Basically, I can rip my AC30s on any groomer you can find, but I'm really struggling in nearly any other scenario.
So the ski I'm looking for is one to complement the AC30 on East Coast "better days" where there might be snow or the snow is good enough that I'd consider a few runs through the trees. Essentially looking to expand on and a bit off the mountain, plus pick up a ski I could take with me out west so that I'm not running around to rental/demo shops and dealing with all of that. That said, it wouldn't shock me if the ski I'm purchasing now becomes more of my "daily driver" and my AC30s become more relegated to the days when it's just plain hard out (which is often here in the EC anyway)
This is where the bonafide came in, and reading the reviews of the ski it seemed to fit my profile, although I agonized over whether the Bushwacker would be a better choice for me. This is problem #1.
Problem #2 is the length. I was able to find a pair of Bonafides here in 180cm, which is much longer than any ski I've been on. Given my height and weight, it seems like this is the ski most here would recommend I get on, but I'm having serious concerns that increasing this dramatically in both width and length will leave me unimpressed with what seems to be by all accounts a very impressive ski. Should I consider returning the 180s and seeking out the 173 in either the bones or the bushwhacker?
Honestly I'm just confusing the hell out of myself. Of course, the best option here would be to run a few demos, but this ski is in such incredibly short supply that I'm not sure that's much of an option. Nonetheless, I agree, I'm much less likely to waste my money if i run that risk and simply wait. This, however, is a risk I'm willing to run, so assuming I MUST purchase (and I know that's a bit of a fallacy), what would be the line of thinking you all would subscribe to?