Originally Posted by CallMeAl
I'm looking for a ski lock, that I'll be using to lock one pair of skis, maybe two pairs at the most.
I've done some reading of similar threads looking for options, but so far I haven't find a best match to what I think would be a good skis lock.
What I'm looking for it's something that should be:
- decently safe, meaning not easily picked in a matter of seconds/minutes;
- decently strong cable, not easily cut in a couple of seconds neither
- small enough to fit a pocket.
What I've seen so far in terms of locks:
- combination locks of sorts - these seem to be easily picked, plenty of tube videos on that
- retractable cable locks - good portability, but not very secure as most of the time the cable is very thin
- safeman locks - better than retractable and portable enough, but cable is only 4mm which I'm not sure if it's strong enough to need some obvious cutting device that it's not easy to hide from onlookers
- cable locks that seem stronger being thicker ( 6-8mm or more ) with key lock, not combination lock. Some from Master Lock or similar manufacturers. These seem rather good in security, but seem they won't fit easily into a pocket, and I don't think I'd want some bulky metal in my backpack, can't do much good in case of nasty fall.
For instance I've seen the OnGuard 5029 which seems rather good at 8mm ( even if on their scale 1-5 is "only" 2+ in terms of security ), but at 440g, it doesn't look that pocketable after all.
And by simple mathematics, a 6mm cable lock in the same length would weight around 330g, which is a bit better, but still on the rather heavy end. So in order to go below 250g, the cable would be 4mm maybe 5mm tops. And again, if some kind of cutting device deals easily with a 4mm, it will deal almost equaly easy with a 5mm. Hmmm, the Doberman 5029 is 180cm long, I think it's two long even for two pair of skis, would a 120cm do ? This way the weight will be ... around 300g for an 8mm, meaning 200g for a 6mm ...
Am I missing something, is there a better solution ? Is 6mm better than a 4mm or only slightly better ? Or below 8mm is about the same level, so I'll have to make a compromise in security or deal with heavy pockets ?
Thank you for any idea, suggestion, alternative ...