EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Arcteryx Stinger Bib: Who the heck designed these?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Arcteryx Stinger Bib: Who the heck designed these?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

 

I have been skiing my whole life. I'm not really a ski bum but I have always been a man of modest means.  Now, I've finally reached a point where I can afford Arcteryx clothing. I bought myself a Stingray jacket and love it - but I can't find a pair of pants to go with it. I have tried the Stingray pants, Theta AR bib, Sabre pants, and Stinger bib but none of them fit.  I am really trying to like the Stinger bib, as it has just about everything I want. But what's with the huge bubble butt?  Seriously, I look like some kind of Cirque du Soleil clown when I wear them.  All of the pants I listed above have this same problem except the Sabre but the Sabre is the kind of pant meant to be worn below my butt, expose my underwear and make me look like another kind of clown. I'm too old for that.

 

Is it just me or do others have this same experience with Arcteryx? All I'm really looking for is a quality pair of Gore Tex shell pants, plain black (just black - no flashy colored stitching, zippers, highlights, etc.) and preferably with cargo pockets and a conservative logo. Too much to ask?  Any other suggestions?

 

Thanks

post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by notirebasura View Post

 

I have been skiing my whole life. I'm not really a ski bum but I have always been a man of modest means.  Now, I've finally reached a point where I can afford Arcteryx clothing. I bought myself a Stingray jacket and love it - but I can't find a pair of pants to go with it. I have tried the Stingray pants, Theta AR bib, Sabre pants, and Stinger bib but none of them fit.  I am really trying to like the Stinger bib, as it has just about everything I want. But what's with the huge bubble butt?  Seriously, I look like some kind of Cirque du Soleil clown when I wear them.  All of the pants I listed above have this same problem except the Sabre but the Sabre is the kind of pant meant to be worn below my butt, expose my underwear and make me look like another kind of clown. I'm too old for that.

 

Is it just me or do others have this same experience with Arcteryx? All I'm really looking for is a quality pair of Gore Tex shell pants, plain black (just black - no flashy colored stitching, zippers, highlights, etc.) and preferably with cargo pockets and a conservative logo. Too much to ask?  Any other suggestions?

 

Thanks



Too funny. I also own the Stinger bib and they do look really bad with that bubble butt. That's why I only wear them in the worst of conditions............I also own the Theta SV and will say that the products can't be beat when it come down to weathering really bad conditions. Let me know when you find that perfect bib.

post #3 of 15

Funny first rant. Welcome to Epic. I have a pair of Thetas, have owned others, never found issues with the butt although the "athletic" legs tend to be on the thin side (and I'm a beanpole, 165 lbs). Have tried on the Sabres, no butt exposure, they're designed for the backcountry/freestyle crowd, though with relaxed fit. Arcteryx quality/durability is first rate, gotta say. 

 

At the risk of sounding rational, if Arcteryx ain't your body's cuppa tea, what about trying a different brand? 

post #4 of 15

You need to decide what you want. While some manufacturers cut tighter and some looser, there's usually some thinking that goes into what is happening with any given piece of high end technical gear. The Stinger is pretty nicely articulated, which you might appreciate if you were bootpacking, skinning, etc. Those of us with bigger butts definitely appreciate it... :)

 

Look at any of the top quality tech gear manufacturers. Patagonia, Norrona, TNF Summit Series, Mammut, etc., etc. See which of those kinds of brands/models might be closer to what you want. Given what you've said, consider the Norrona Narvik 3 ply GoreTex pants in black.

 

The bottom line though is that the better tech wear is largely focused on function - and interestingly in this context, a number of Arcteryx models are IMO arguably somewhat more fashion cut than they ought to be... If things like fashion cut, subdued colors, etc matter to you, then maybe a more fashion oriented line would make more sense?

 

FWIW, given a choice, I prefer my gear screamingly unnatural in color. The crazier the better. I want to be visible in the trees and snow...

post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post

FWIW, given a choice, I prefer my gear screamingly unnatural in color. The crazier the better. I want to be visible in the trees and snow...

^^^^ This also. 
 

 

post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

Funny first rant. Welcome to Epic. I have a pair of Thetas, have owned others, never found issues with the butt although the "athletic" legs tend to be on the thin side (and I'm a beanpole, 165 lbs). Have tried on the Sabres, no butt exposure, they're designed for the backcountry/freestyle crowd, though with relaxed fit. Arcteryx quality/durability is first rate, gotta say. 

 

At the risk of sounding rational, if Arcteryx ain't your body's cuppa tea, what about trying a different brand? 


Beyond. I also own different Arcteyrx pants (with Theta being one of them) that fit me just fine. The stinger bib is really bad. They do look like clown pants ROTF.gif

 

With that being said, I have worn these in rain, sleet and snow for the whole day and never even a touch of dampness underneath. IMO, you just can't beat Arcteryx for their technical gear.

 

Man, we really need snow in the northeast!! I'm commenting on clothing  when I would normally be skiing now frown.gif

 

 

 

post #7 of 15

^^^^ Yeah pretty bad when I'm cruising the clothing thread. This is my second. redface.gif It's getting colder through. I hope you folks out west are feeling our pain in the midst of your early season powder.

 

But the more important issue is why Epic is displaying so much insensitivity toward clowns...roflmao.gif

post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 

Funny Video

 

More chatter about clowns <-- That's a reference to my first post--> http://www.epicski.com/t/107600/arcteryx-stinger-bib-who-the-heck-designed-these

I saw people wearing these in Colorado and Europe last year. 

 

Smileage_Floater-Thumb.jpg Clownage_Floater-Thumb.jpg Clencher_Floater-Thumb.jpg Fangster_Floater-Thumb.jpg Smoochie_Floater-Thumb.jpg

 

 

This video cracks me up.

 

http://www.rabblemask.com/shop/page/5?shop_param=


 

post #9 of 15

I have owned several Arcteryx jackets and bib pants over the years.  It have been my impression that ever since the company was sold and was no longer independent that their quality and form have slowly deteriorated.  These are still good products, but my impression is that the products are not as good as before.  I still have my oldest Arcteryx jacket, which is now over 10 years old, and it is in great condition - used mostly for backpacking and backcountry skiing, but also for DH a couple of years.   they later changed materials and the newer jacket (four years old) just didn't hold hold up.  the Goretex material on the front of the jacket sort of pilled after one season and and no longer was hydrophobic.  Had to DWR treat the jacket, but this only helped a little.   My bibs, which were several years old, were worn out with normal cuts and tears from skiing, but I found the cut of the newer bibs to be odd (e.g. Theta and Stinger) and overall less functional - so I didn't buy.  Ended up  going with Mammut Aleyska and I'm very happy with the functionality and quality.

post #10 of 15

Now that you can afford really good stuff. Realize that the name most popular as the "top" with a given set isn't necessarily so. There are TONS of other high quality manufacturers out there.

post #11 of 15

Last season I purchased a pr of  Norrona Stratas and they're excellent!  Very high quality, totally waterproof, great fit adjustments.  I also got Holdup skiing suspenders from Holdup Suspender Co http://www.suspenders.com/skisuspenders.htm  which have worked out well.  Very pleased with this combination!

post #12 of 15

Well, I'm the bean-poliest mature adult male I know (57yo, 5' 10", < 140 lbs) and I love my Stinger Bibs (and Stinger jacket too).

 

Of course I tend to stare at other skier's butts more than my own...

 

roflmao.gif

 

post #13 of 15

Sorry if I'm resurrecting an old thread here but I love the way arcteryx items fit my body, including the stinger bib.  I fit a small in arcteryx where I would normally have to go for at least a medium and deal with too big of a waist to accomodate my (apparently) big bubble clown butt (mostly from cycling).   To the OP, I agree with the sentiment that you should look at another top quality brand.  RAB might have the fit you are looking for, or Norrona, or mammut.  You will find the brand with the fit you like, arcteryx is mine, but I think you will find yours elsewhere.  Good Luck! 

post #14 of 15

I just scored Stringer bib at REI's Garage Sale for $99, deal of the century. I also noticed a little too much room in the butt area, but I'm not exactly sporting a big butt. I'm 6'0", 170LBS and normally need a large in ski pants. However, with these, I got a medium. Interestingly, the garage sale item was a return and the return memo said "Returned due to being too large". They still had tags so I suspect the owner returned them and never skiied in them. So it sounds like they run a tad big actually. I've found the opposite of Arc'teryx shell jackets.

 

Other than the butt issue, great bibs. I got the ridiculous orange ones as my wife regularly complains she has a hard time seeing me on the mountain. Right now I have white Market Gore-Tex pants, plan to throw those up on eBay.

post #15 of 15
I have Theta SV bibs, and also once ordered the Stinger pant.
I returned the Stingers as way too baggy.
Methinks the Stinger cut is geared more towards snow boarders, whose posture is typically more bent over and need more room in their clothing to flex.

My main complaint about Arcteryx is not enough pockets.
My Theta SV bibs and Modon jacket are seriously under-pocketed.

I also have Noranna Lofoten bibs -> they are near perfection IMO !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Arcteryx Stinger Bib: Who the heck designed these?