Forever on the search. I have my powder/ touring ski S7 by Rossingnol fitted with Dynafit touring bindings. I have my teaching ski, the Volkl Auras with Marker Barons (like my touring boots). I need a carver. Female, old knees but young at heart, not a speed demon but want a ski with energy. Tried Heads Magnam and Titan- too stiff. Rossingnol Avenger 76 Nordica Doberman and Fire Arrow, Blizzard 8.1TI. They were all ski-able but nothing special. Then I tried the Kastle MX 88 WOW Loved this ski but too stiff for me. It was a real knee destroyer. But couldn't stop myself from one more run, then one more run. Shot me across the hill like a rocket. Exciting with a capital E with loads more to give then I could handle. Hobbled into the Rep. and he suggested I try the 70 (think it was the MX) and it felt like a wet noodle compared to the MX88. Where do I go from here? RX????? Need a little more forgiving but love the energy of the MX88. Help please....Any thoughts would be greatly received.
- brandDawgcatchingtagged by System, 11/28/11
Related Forum Threads
- Lighter backcountry/sidecountry skis: Blizzard Kabookie vs Fischer Ranger 96ti Last post on 12/17/14 at 9:35pm in Member Gear Reviews
- Just scored some Kastles at Dawgcatching's big spring sale Last post on 3/27/14 at 5:38pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Playful wider all-mountain ski shootout: Rossignol Soul 7 vs. Blizzard Peacemaker Last post on 12/30/13 at 12:39pm in Member Gear Reviews
- 2013 Elan Waveflex SLX 170cm review Last post on 12/2/13 at 2:41pm in Member Gear Reviews
2011 Big Mountain Ski Reviews By Dawgcatching
Last edited: 4/25/11
- 2011 Mid Fat Ski Reviews By DawgcatchingLast edited: 5/25/11
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
This is the most incredibly over-the-top country-club-like resort we've been and we've skied all over USA. It's so cool I took pictures of the bathrooms! Beautifully done. Three gondolas keep...
I went to Maverick the day after a day at Big Sky and what a dramatic difference. As opposed to Big Sky's massive area (which seemed to me to ski much smaller than its size), hard skier packed...
Easily the best hill (let's not get crazy calling these mountains) in Minnesota. It's fairly spread out across four separate hills (though, I'd call them two). There's a gondola that connects the...
- 2011 Mid Fat Ski Reviews By Dawgcatching
Kastle Ski Lineup Reviews 2012 - Page 2
Welcome to Epic! IMO the RX70 is the ski you want for a carver if you ski in the east or midwest. Thicker metal, stiffer than the MX70, but still friendly, not a race ski, and still has that Kastle light feeling smoothness. If you ski in the far west or Rockies, then the MX78, which carves nearly as well, bit more stability in crud, feels lot like a MX88 light, but even more energy.
Or if you knees are really shot, you might think about a Stockli. They're a touch damper in front and more planted in rough snow than Kastles, touch less energy, otherwise lot of similarities. The SX has received raves if you want a more GS-ish carver, no known speed limit but friendly even at low speeds. It'll be a bit more of a pure front side ski than the RX70, but so grippy that many are liking them for Beer League. The CX also a wonderful cross design, bit more Sl-ish. Impervious to crud and rough transitioning snow.
Also keep in mind that the narrower the ski, the less torque it'll put on your knees as you go up on edge. If this is a ski you're using a lot, I'd stay below 80 mm...
A little more forgiving sounds like the LX (82/92).
- Kastle Ski Lineup Reviews 2012
- › Spring Skiing in ColoRADo! March 17 - 19 3 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 5 minutes ago
- › 2016/17 PNW thread: news, weather, anecdotes, history, gossip and... 6 minutes ago
- › Can you please comment on my skiing? 11 minutes ago
- › FS 2016 Salomon X Pro 130, Mondo 27.0 / 27.5 18 minutes ago
- › Top 20 Boots, Skis, and Bindings 20 minutes ago
- › Total Noob Question [about installing bindings] 23 minutes ago
- › ***** CHEAP & HIGH QUALITY SKI IN IRAN ***** 23 minutes ago
- › When Couldn't You Keep Up? 27 minutes ago
- › Dynafit One PX 28.5, Worn Once, $165.00 shipped USA only 30 minutes ago
- › Kneebinding Knee Friendly Binding by barunrm
- › Snowbird by MBrady
- › Snowbasin by MBrady
- › Maverick Mountain by Roadrash
- › Lutsen Mountains by comfortstarr
- › Tremblant by jzmtl
- › Panorama Mountain Village by Pacobillie
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by vieuxcrouton
- › Mt. Baker by jhkc
- › Manning Park Resort by davidykay
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview
- › Fan Traverse Drill
- › Complete Ski Packages - Skip the Rental Line!