I'm starting a new job in March 2012 and have roughly a month of free time starting late Jan. Right now I'm leaning towards using that time to disappear into the mountains for a while. Sadly my usual snow buddies are either broke or busy, so if I went it'd be solo.
Essentially, I am thinking of heading off to any ski town in Nth America and renting/subletting a room for a month. I've done a full season before (Whistler) so I'm aware of most of the ins and outs of mountain life.
Any suggestions for a place to go, given that:
- I'm a capable skier, I was probably comfortable with 90-95% of the terrain at Whistler
- I'm after good powder snow
- I'd like a good variety of terrain; I don't care for the park
- Since I'll most likely be solo, I wouldn't mind a semi-vibrant place where it's easier to meet people (I'm 27), although I don't need Whistler-esque levels of liveliness
- I won't have a car
- I won't be on a shoestring budget, but neither will I have the cash to rent a place to myself for a month, so finding share accommodation with relative ease is a necessity
- USA or Canada will be good, I don't mind either
- I won't be working
I realise this is a hopelessly broad question, but any input will be appreciated regardless! Also, feel free to tell me that my 'mini-season' is a silly idea if that's what you think, or to suggest something else.