EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Denver to _______ Dec 9th ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denver to _______ Dec 9th ?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

Booked a super cheap flight from MIA to DEN @ $235 rt non stop......  Dec 9-13

 

We have no plan other than to drive to wherever has the most runs open.... 

 

I have been watching but cant get a good feel for anything yet...

 

Not booking hotel until the night before we depart....

 

Just curious - at this point which direction from DEN looks most favorable ?

 

I-70 or South to Telluride area ? 

 

I know think will change - just excited ....

 

Thanks

 

NNN 

post #2 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post

Booked a super cheap flight from MIA to DEN @ $235 rt non stop......  Dec 9-13

 

We have no plan other than to drive to wherever has the most runs open.... 

 

I have been watching but cant get a good feel for anything yet...

 

Not booking hotel until the night before we depart....

 

Just curious - at this point which direction from DEN looks most favorable ?

 

I-70 or South to Telluride area ? 

 

I know think will change - just excited ....

 

Thanks

 

NNN 


Telluride is 7+ hr from Denver; I doubt you will want to spend 2 whole days of a short trip driving. Not sure what it's been doing in Steamboat, but keep an eye on it. Also 3-4 hr from airport, but much better than the SW part of state, and likely to have decent snow. Otherwise, the I-70 resorts are no-brainer.

 

post #3 of 26

Just bumping !  flying into Den 12/7/11 for 3 days also

 

As it looks now will stay in Georgetown and  do loveland  &  A-basin. Maybe Copper

 

post #4 of 26
Thread Starter 

T-ride is a hump and would not be my first choice for sure - other than my friend owns a home in town and we can crash for free.....

 

Ideally we would do the Beav..... 

 

Aspen and Steamboat would be the farthest.... 

 

Keeping an eye on the weather ....

 

Thanks 

 

 

post #5 of 26

I love Beaver Creek, but the last time I skied it that early in the year, I thought the snow was much better in Summit County.  Could be different this year, but they are at a lower elevation and open later for a reason.

 

 


Edited by MEfree30 - 11/17/11 at 1:23pm
post #6 of 26

Copper is slow to open it's terrain compared to Breckenridge.  And with the Speed Training Center open for downhill training, it's possible the SuperBee and that side of the mountain may not be open on December 7.  It depends on when they are going to close the race training.  That weekend is the first Women's speed events at Lake Louise, so it is possible that the speed center will close before that weekend, although what I heard from patrol was that the speed center will be open until the 10th.  

 

Even without the complexity of the speed center, Breckenridge has been opening their alpine terrain a couple of weeks earlier than Copper for the past 4-5 years.  I'd expect the same this year.  It'll be more crowded at Breck, but probably more terrain.

 

I'd second the Steamboat suggestion.  Along that same line, keep an eye on Snowmass.  The good thing is you don't need a bunch of planning at that time.  Lodging will be plentiful and should be cheap (relatively speaking).  Watch the snow and see what develops.

 

Mike

post #7 of 26

Highland's opens the 10th.  Snowmass and Aspen almost always open up additional terrain that weekend as well.

I've been bringing my waterski buddies out for at least 10 years and we've never really been disappointed?

I'll be there this weekend and then back on the 7th.  I'll try to remember to post an updated conditions report.

post #8 of 26

I think it would make sense to book reservations for lodging somewhere like Frisco and do a diffferent Summit Co resort each day, that way you would get some variety.

post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post

Booked a super cheap flight from MIA to DEN @ $235 rt non stop......  Dec 9-13

 


 

Dang I had to use cc points to get the fare that low from FLL Dec 8-18 how'd you do that?

post #10 of 26

FWIW, Last year (with higher than normal snow) I skied some great terrain early at Copper including many rope drops which were a lot of fun- I definitely had the powder skis out BEFORE Thanksgiving.  Do what I did the last 3 seasons- base yourself at Chalet Frisco, look at CPF and the morning reports and then decide where you are going!   

 

I should add that time is running out for those who don't have season passes yet.  LL stops selling their transferable $129 4 pack Nov 20 and A-Basin just added their 4 Pack to their website until Dec 5 for $148

post #11 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock108 View Post


 

Dang I had to use cc points to get the fare that low from FLL Dec 8-18 how'd you do that?

 

I know it was crazy low..... I was just searching Kayak and it came up.... Frontier - and it was an 8am Depart and 4pm return.... Cant ask for more than that !!!  

 

We are not the type to base from Frisco - but that does make the most sense - we will see what resort has most runs open and get a ski in/out for the 4 days....  Yes, we are lazy... 

 

The web cams at the Beav look really good - but snow totals dont ???  
 

 

post #12 of 26

Do your 411 on Dec 8th, www.coloradoski.com    Should not have a problem finding a room that's priced fair, after all its still early season!

  Hoping a Big one rolls in for all of us!

post #13 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vertical View Post

Do your 411 on Dec 8th, www.coloradoski.com    Should not have a problem finding a room that's priced fair, after all its still early season!

  Hoping a Big one rolls in for all of us!

 

Getting a bit nervous - Not much open and no snow in the forecast.... Hope something happens soon......  
 

 

post #14 of 26

             Ten days to go, anything can happen. Few inchs this weekend, something maybe Wed- Thurs. Looking for my Rabbits Foot!

post #15 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vertical View Post

             Ten days to go, anything can happen. Few inchs this weekend, something maybe Wed- Thurs. Looking for my Rabbits Foot!



I hear ya  - 12 days until we actually hit the ski lift ....

 

Weather doesnt look good this week - but we all know these guys cant see much more than a few days out.....   

 

Not asking for powder  - just enough blue runs to keep us interested for a few days .... 

 

As of today - Steamboat is our destination..... 

 

Fingers crossed,,, praying for Ullr to show ,,,, snow dance, etc..... 

 

post #16 of 26

Steamboat wouldn't be a bad choice.  Just get away from Denver.  When the skiing is limited, the hoards just beat the crap out of the open terrain.  

 

I would also seriously consider Aspen.   Aspen Mountain is skiing good and they would have a lot more terrain open,  if it wasn't for the World Cup events.  The courses are in really good shape.

Once they get all the fences taken down, they'll have top to bottom on both sides of the mountain. 

 

When we get more snow, they will open up the additional terrain faster than just about any other resort. Highland's opens the 10th and I'm willing to bet at least some of the bowl will be open?

post #17 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

Steamboat wouldn't be a bad choice.  Just get away from Denver.  When the skiing is limited, the hoards just beat the crap out of the open terrain.  

 

I would also seriously consider Aspen.   Aspen Mountain is skiing good and they would have a lot more terrain open,  if it wasn't for the World Cup events.  The courses are in really good shape.

Once they get all the fences taken down, they'll have top to bottom on both sides of the mountain. 

 

When we get more snow, they will open up the additional terrain faster than just about any other resort. Highland's opens the 10th and I'm willing to bet at least some of the bowl will be open?


Thanks.... Aspen/Snowmass is target #2...... Agree - we are driving far away from Denver....  

 

post #18 of 26

      Just a thought, if your not in a rush to get to Steamboat, I would stop on the way at www.skiloveland.com on the way. Good value, low key & a Great place ( as long as the wind is calm). Speaking of winds, Steamboat had to close today due to high winds (120mph).

  Depends on what the weather does, but Loveland might have better early conditions then Steamboat as I type. What you save in a lift ticket @ Loveland could go towards Dinner @ the Boat.

     We should be at Steamboat on 12/5 for the day, will let you know how it Looks! 


Edited by Mr. Vertical - 12/2/11 at 4:11pm
post #19 of 26

If you aim for the boat check out their web site on package deals ... they have an early season deal that runs though the 16th ...

 

If you rent a car, drive out you can pick up a 'cheap' Ski Free Early season deal.   The deal says you must stay 3 nights min but you get 2 lifts per bedroom for each night stayed less one ... so a 3 night stay in a "one bedroom" will get 2 people each 2 days (4 lifts) for the stay, extra day lifts are $50 each.  the nice thing here is if you plan on sleeping the 9th, 10th, 11th and 12 (leaving the morn of 13th) you have can rent for 4 days a one bdrm, get 6 total lifts and if so inclined, blow another $100 for 2 more lifts. the 4th day is a bit of a wash even if you don't ski and plan to leave a night before, you can use the extra night for 2 lifts, likely pay less than buying 2 more lifts for that day and leave late after showering and resting up.

 

they have some slopesides down just over $600 for the 4 nights (just checked) so your effectively paying close to the face value of the lifts.  town has some cheap stays too.

 

lastly, you can cancel 3 days out if your getting just room.

 

i've reserved a 2bd + loft for the 10th-14th thinking i had 5-6 folks, but i looks to be falling through but .. i can cancel on the 7th and not be out.  i can shift dates, etc too so, while the mountain may be limited, the boat does have some other things going.   I planned on WP having a season lift, but as said, things fell though for most my crew.

 

one thing you can do as noted, at this time of year you can book at the last minute, follow snow.  can check with weather.com and do a search under "outdoors" tab at top, pick ski and check for Co and snow locations:   http://www.weather.com/life/ski/

 

 

post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post

 

 

one thing you can do as noted, at this time of year you can book at the last minute, follow snow.  can check with weather.com and do a search under "outdoors" tab at top, pick ski and check for Co and snow locations:   http://www.weather.com/life/ski/

 

 

Colorado Powder Forecast was my go to site last year, but they have changed their format and website (now http://opensnow.com).  Joel is still doing the forecasting, but I haven't found the site to be as user friendly.

 

For last minute at Chalet Frisco, you can call 970--368--6144.  We have availability starting on Dec 6th and can set it up as a 1, 2, 3 or 4 bedroom.  There are a couple of other Bears in town starting the 8th or 9th.  A-Basin and Copper are still selling their 4 Packs and Vail extended Summitt/Epic pass sales until Dec 5.  All but Copper can be done online (where new purchasers have to sign up in person)

 

post #21 of 26

Looks like my plan will be as follows.

Fly into Den Wed nite (12/7/11) got a priceline room in Stapleton  dirt cheap At the Holliday Inn

Ski the next day at loveland  or A-basin using my gems card 

then driving to the boat  to stay  for 3 days with  2 days free tickets for for 2 on the "Ski free " deal offered on on their  site ( $ 177 + taxes)

I can cancel 3 days before if i want but looks like this  is the way it  will  happen

watching the weather close !

 

post #22 of 26
Thread Starter 

Looks like Jackson Hole has some serious terrain open.....  Looks like 8 hour drive from DEN ??? 

post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post

Looks like Jackson Hole has some serious terrain open.....  Looks like 8 hour drive from DEN ??? 



if you want to make the voyage, go for it.

post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post

Looks like Jackson Hole has some serious terrain open.....  Looks like 8 hour drive from DEN ??? 


If you are lucky (as in miss the cops AND have good weather), you might make it in 8 hours.  A more reasonable time is 10.

 

Mike

 

post #25 of 26
Thread Starter 

I think we changed the plans;

 

Friday - Arrive 10am DEN / drive to Wolf Creek

Sat/Sun - Ski Wolf Creek

Sunday - After skiing (3pm) drive up to Vail

Monday and Tue - Ski vail and beav....

 

Anyone know how the drive is to Vail from Wolf Creek ?  

 

Thanks again for all the suggestions...

 

NNN 

post #26 of 26

You could probably ski half a day at Loveland on Friday?  WC to Vail would be about 4 hours, mostly in a valley between ranges,  up 285/24.

  You would pass right through Salida and could ski Monarch depending on Conditions?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Denver to _______ Dec 9th ?