Looking for advice on purchasing advanced- expert skis for hard pack, steep, goat path tight glades.
Related Forum Threads
- 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . Last post on Yesterday at 9:22 pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Top 3 spring skiing Mountains in New England? Last post on 4/2/16 at 8:35pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Cannon - Burke - Jay - MRG Last post on 3/11/14 at 4:34am in Trip Reports
- East Coast Suggestions Last post on 11/4/13 at 7:19pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Ski Discounts 2013/2014 Season - EAST [Northeast lift tickets] Last post on 12/15/13 at 3:04pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
A Brief History of Alpine Skiing
Last edited: 2/13/17
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ResortLast edited: 6/15/16
- Cannon Mountain, NH Unofficial GuideLast edited: 9/6/13
- In Praise of the Anti-ResortsLast edited: 5/28/13
- There's Something About Skiing New HampshireLast edited: 5/28/13
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
This is the most incredibly over-the-top country-club-like resort we've been and we've skied all over USA. It's so cool I took pictures of the bathrooms! Beautifully done. Three gondolas keep...
I went to Maverick the day after a day at Big Sky and what a dramatic difference. As opposed to Big Sky's massive area (which seemed to me to ski much smaller than its size), hard skier packed...
Easily the best hill (let's not get crazy calling these mountains) in Minnesota. It's fairly spread out across four separate hills (though, I'd call them two). There's a gondola that connects the...
Ski the Eastpost #1 of 1111/9/11 at 2:09pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1111/9/11 at 2:17pmQuote:
what resorts? weekend warrior? storm chaser? everyday ski?post #3 of 1111/10/11 at 7:56amThread Starter
Cannon, Tues. & Thurs., Jay Peak 1-2 weekends per season, Loon to hang with friends that work there or live close, free place to crash. Mad River when they get a dump on week days. Sunday River, 3-5 midweek company trip and some Wednesday trips with the ski club. love to get back to Stowe it's been too long.Ski 40+ days. My replies maybe slow, I suck at typing and I'm working at home on my day off. Any info will be appreciated, I ski Volkl 724 EXP/ 170cm. The price was right, this is the demo winter for me. Skis that I would like to demo are Nordica Fire Arrow 80 Pro,Blizzard Magnum 8.7 & Volkl RTM 84, any suggestions?
Edited by Myles - 11/10/11 at 12:43pmpost #4 of 1111/11/11 at 10:58ampost #5 of 1111/11/11 at 11:12am
Whats your weight and height? The blizzard bushwacker, fischer watea 88/84, volkl kendo, and a bunch of other skis come to mind for what your looking for. Granted I'm slightly slanted towards tree performance than piste performance, there is enough glade skiing on cannon I don't really need to ski groomers if I don't want to. It seems like you hit a lot of soft snow days but listed all mnt skis that are hard snow orriented.
BWPA knows his stuff when it comes to eastern trees.post #6 of 1111/11/11 at 11:20ampost #7 of 1111/15/11 at 4:31pmThread Starter
My weight 215 lbs. height 5'9, 47 yrs.of age. The skis you mentioned I'll add to my demo list and probably demo them @ Cannon mid-week in January when tree skiing is good. The skis I listed
were recommended. Thank you for your suggestions.post #8 of 1111/15/11 at 4:35pmThread Starterpost #9 of 1111/15/11 at 5:20pm
Going from a 724 I think you will absolutely love the Nordica FA 80 Pro. Not that I have skied it! But I am coming off of the Top Fuel and that ski is an animal. The next generation is that much better. Just bought last years model. Not a great choice for the woods though.post #10 of 1111/15/11 at 5:50pm
Not this. It's a solid ski, but not for you or what you say you want to do.
Quote:Originally Posted by Paul Jones
Going from a 724 I think you will absolutely love the Nordica FA 80 Pro. Not that I have skied it! But I am coming off of the Top Fuel and that ski is an animal. The next generation is that much better. Just bought last years model. Not a great choice for the woods though.
This. Firearrow Pro will be great for the groomers, bumps, but not what's I'd choose for you for glades. Ditto for another great frontside and bump ski, the Stockli Rotor 84. You may need to make some priorities. If glades are up there, along with bumps, but you're not talking soft snow, I'd recommend something like a Prophet 90 if you like twins, an Elan Apex if you like smooth and damp, a Blizzard 8.7 if you like light and beefy, a Kastle BMX88 if you like precise and maneuverable. Of these, the Apex or the Blizzie will be most reliable on steeps, but in all honesty, the east doesn't have prolonged steeps. It has steep pitches, then bumps. If you try to concentrate on softer snow, then I'd think seriously about one of these: Blizzard Bonafide, Stockli Stormrider 95, Kastle BMX98, Line Prophet 98.
Good luck.post #11 of 1111/16/11 at 5:23pmThread Starter
I take it Jay is your home Mtn. Spent alot of time in Montgomery in my mid 20s, great hiking and skiing in the area. 2 years since I've been to Jay Peak. The company I work for go to Sunday River the last Sunday in January every year for 5 days. The new ski trip leader wants to head to Vt. I'm thinking Jay is the place to play. Maybe we get lucky and have the Jay cloud do it's thing.
The 724s will become my rock skis, I'll check out the Nordica FA 80 Pro. Thanks for the input.
- Ski the East
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain Resort
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 15 minutes ago
- › ***** CHEAP & HIGH QUALITY SKI IN IRAN ***** 25 minutes ago
- › Mammoth Mountain for 2016-2017 44 minutes ago
- › How to get a razor edge? 48 minutes ago
- › Mountain Collective 17/18 is out 48 minutes ago
- › Bump turn on flats 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › Side/base angles: please explain, thanks 1 hour, 12 minutes ago
- › 105-110 powder ski that can handle ice 1 hour, 29 minutes ago
- › 2010/2011 Kastle MX 88 Replacement 1 hour, 30 minutes ago
- › Skis, boots, or me? 1 hour, 32 minutes ago
- › Kneebinding Knee Friendly Binding by barunrm
- › Snowbird by MBrady
- › Snowbasin by MBrady
- › Maverick Mountain by Roadrash
- › Lutsen Mountains by comfortstarr
- › Tremblant by jzmtl
- › Panorama Mountain Village by Pacobillie
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by vieuxcrouton
- › Mt. Baker by jhkc
- › Manning Park Resort by davidykay
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview
- › Fan Traverse Drill
- › Complete Ski Packages - Skip the Rental Line!