Looking for advice on purchasing advanced- expert skis for hard pack, steep, goat path tight glades.
Related Forum Threads
- Top 3 spring skiing Mountains in New England? Last post on 4/2/16 at 8:35pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Cannon - Burke - Jay - MRG Last post on 3/11/14 at 4:34am in Trip Reports
- East Coast Suggestions Last post on 11/4/13 at 7:19pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Ski Discounts 2013/2014 Season - EAST [Northeast lift tickets] Last post on 12/15/13 at 3:04pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Volkl RTM?? Last post on 3/29/15 at 8:24am in Ski Gear Discussion
The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain Resort
Last edited: 6/15/16
- Cannon Mountain, NH Unofficial GuideLast edited: 9/6/13
- In Praise of the Anti-ResortsLast edited: 5/28/13
- There's Something About Skiing New HampshireLast edited: 5/28/13
- 2011 Mid Fat Ski Reviews By DawgcatchingLast edited: 5/25/11
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Ski the Eastpost #1 of 1111/9/11 at 2:09pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 1111/9/11 at 2:17pmQuote:
what resorts? weekend warrior? storm chaser? everyday ski?post #3 of 1111/10/11 at 7:56amThread Starter
Cannon, Tues. & Thurs., Jay Peak 1-2 weekends per season, Loon to hang with friends that work there or live close, free place to crash. Mad River when they get a dump on week days. Sunday River, 3-5 midweek company trip and some Wednesday trips with the ski club. love to get back to Stowe it's been too long.Ski 40+ days. My replies maybe slow, I suck at typing and I'm working at home on my day off. Any info will be appreciated, I ski Volkl 724 EXP/ 170cm. The price was right, this is the demo winter for me. Skis that I would like to demo are Nordica Fire Arrow 80 Pro,Blizzard Magnum 8.7 & Volkl RTM 84, any suggestions?
Edited by Myles - 11/10/11 at 12:43pmpost #4 of 1111/11/11 at 10:58ampost #5 of 1111/11/11 at 11:12am
Whats your weight and height? The blizzard bushwacker, fischer watea 88/84, volkl kendo, and a bunch of other skis come to mind for what your looking for. Granted I'm slightly slanted towards tree performance than piste performance, there is enough glade skiing on cannon I don't really need to ski groomers if I don't want to. It seems like you hit a lot of soft snow days but listed all mnt skis that are hard snow orriented.
BWPA knows his stuff when it comes to eastern trees.post #6 of 1111/11/11 at 11:20ampost #7 of 1111/15/11 at 4:31pmThread Starter
My weight 215 lbs. height 5'9, 47 yrs.of age. The skis you mentioned I'll add to my demo list and probably demo them @ Cannon mid-week in January when tree skiing is good. The skis I listed
were recommended. Thank you for your suggestions.post #8 of 1111/15/11 at 4:35pmThread Starterpost #9 of 1111/15/11 at 5:20pm
Going from a 724 I think you will absolutely love the Nordica FA 80 Pro. Not that I have skied it! But I am coming off of the Top Fuel and that ski is an animal. The next generation is that much better. Just bought last years model. Not a great choice for the woods though.post #10 of 1111/15/11 at 5:50pm
Not this. It's a solid ski, but not for you or what you say you want to do.
Quote:Originally Posted by Paul Jones
Going from a 724 I think you will absolutely love the Nordica FA 80 Pro. Not that I have skied it! But I am coming off of the Top Fuel and that ski is an animal. The next generation is that much better. Just bought last years model. Not a great choice for the woods though.
This. Firearrow Pro will be great for the groomers, bumps, but not what's I'd choose for you for glades. Ditto for another great frontside and bump ski, the Stockli Rotor 84. You may need to make some priorities. If glades are up there, along with bumps, but you're not talking soft snow, I'd recommend something like a Prophet 90 if you like twins, an Elan Apex if you like smooth and damp, a Blizzard 8.7 if you like light and beefy, a Kastle BMX88 if you like precise and maneuverable. Of these, the Apex or the Blizzie will be most reliable on steeps, but in all honesty, the east doesn't have prolonged steeps. It has steep pitches, then bumps. If you try to concentrate on softer snow, then I'd think seriously about one of these: Blizzard Bonafide, Stockli Stormrider 95, Kastle BMX98, Line Prophet 98.
Good luck.post #11 of 1111/16/11 at 5:23pmThread Starter
I take it Jay is your home Mtn. Spent alot of time in Montgomery in my mid 20s, great hiking and skiing in the area. 2 years since I've been to Jay Peak. The company I work for go to Sunday River the last Sunday in January every year for 5 days. The new ski trip leader wants to head to Vt. I'm thinking Jay is the place to play. Maybe we get lucky and have the Jay cloud do it's thing.
The 724s will become my rock skis, I'll check out the Nordica FA 80 Pro. Thanks for the input.
- Ski the East
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Cannon Mountain, NH Unofficial Guide
- › Sun Peaks BC, 2016/17 Season 4 minutes ago
- › Best ski location on the east coast??? 5 minutes ago
- › Killington Opens tomorrow (October 25th) 7 minutes ago
- › Help me analyse some of my turns? 19 minutes ago
- › First Time Buying Skis and Boots - Do It All Together? 27 minutes ago
- › February: Big White vs Sun Peaks vs SilverStar 28 minutes ago
- › FS: Hestra Heli Gloves, Black, Size 8 - Brand New $95 shipped to... 35 minutes ago
- › Little Areas That Rock! 39 minutes ago
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 41 minutes ago
- › 2016-2017 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion 43 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer