or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Volkl RTM?? - Page 3

post #61 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsnowgirl View Post


 Based upon what I had read and what my boyfriend has I'd say those are not the RTM81s.  I would even say the 80.  I was slightly interested in the 80 until I read that it doesn't have vertical sidewalls and doesn't bite as well on ice as the 81s.  My guy has the 81s and he swears by them on ice. 

Personally, I found the RTM 80 to be wonderfully stable. On ice, I liked them much better than the E84 I tried in the same length, and going to the next size up in length certainly helped.
post #62 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarnett View Post


Personally, I found the RTM 80 to be wonderfully stable. On ice, I liked them much better than the E84 I tried in the same length, and going to the next size up in length certainly helped.

You just answered one of my long standing questions......  I was contemplating the Rossignol E84 over the Volkl RTM 81, but decided to stay with what I knew.  Glad I did.

post #63 of 89

My two cents-System bindings are generally a great addition to narrow more groomer oriented skis.  

IMO-a little extra height is fine and they provide another benefit by smoothing out the ski's flex.

Also, I would add that Tyrolia is exceptional and needs to be considered when talking about Salomon.

        The Attack series for wider flat skis

        FreeFlex 14-20 for narrow and race skis

        PRX system.

post #64 of 89
You have not skied the RTM81, if this is your impression of "RTM". The RTM81 is a stiff ski and a great carver at any speed and I ski a lot of skis. The 81 is an advanced to expert ski, that will reward you if you stay on it and punish you if you get back, so it's not for everyone, but if you're an experienced driver... it's amazing!
post #65 of 89

I think the RTM 81 and 84 will be too much for me.  I think I am going to give the RTM 75 a whirl and see if I like it. 

post #66 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsnowgirl View Post
 

I think the RTM 81 and 84 will be too much for me.  I think I am going to give the RTM 75 a whirl and see if I like it.

 

Demo first, then think.

 

Don't discount the RTM 81.  It's easy to ski, and, so far as my experience goes, it isn't punishing.  When I demoed it, I felt nothing but confidence, and I'm no expert.  In fact, it was the most confidence-inspiring ski of the six I demoed that day.

 

Don't take my word for it, or anyone else's.  Try the ski, then decide. 

post #67 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsnowgirl View Post
 

I think the RTM 81 and 84 will be too much for me.  I think I am going to give the RTM 75 a whirl and see if I like it. 

What is your height/weight/skiing style?  My significant other (5'4"/145lbs/intermediate) compared the RTM 75 to the Rossignol T80.  It will be on the softer side with an edge grip.  You may want to consider the RTM 77

post #68 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespapa View Post
 

 

Demo first, then think.

 

Don't discount the RTM 81.  It's easy to ski, and, so far as my experience goes, it isn't punishing.  When I demoed it, I felt nothing but confidence, and I'm no expert.  In fact, it was the most confidence-inspiring ski of the six I demoed that day.

 

Don't take my word for it, or anyone else's.  Try the ski, then decide. 

 

Ok good point.  My all mountain ski is the Kenja and I was deterred from skiing that one because of what the ski is. I one day said I am trying it anyway and now I own it.  Is it a little too much for me, a little beyond my ability probably.  However, I feel I have become a better skier in the 2 months I've had it.   I will give the RTMs a whirl this weekend if I get the chance.   Thanks for the vote of encouragement. 

post #69 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikolbyi View Post
 

What is your height/weight/skiing style?  My significant other (5'4"/145lbs/intermediate) compared the RTM 75 to the Rossignol T80.  It will be on the softer side with an edge grip.  You may want to consider the RTM 77

 

I am 5'6" and 175ish lbs.  I would say I am a conservative skier but have potential to be more aggressive.  My all mountain ski is the Kenja and its made me a better skier in the 2 months I've had it.  I am still pokey but feel comfortable going faster on the Kenja as she's given me confidence.  

post #70 of 89

The RTM 81 at my local resort is only available in 171 and 176 so too tall for me so I will have to skip this demo.   They have the RTM 75 in 166 so I can try this.  My question is I am really interested in the RTM 77 cause it has steel in it but can't demo this one.  I can demo the 75.   What is the difference between these two skis besides metal/no metal and 2 mm of width.  I was thinking of demoing the 75 just to get a feel but then buying the 77 cause this seems to be my only option.   I currently ski a Volkl Kenja in 163 but this is my all mountain ski so I'm looking for a narrower frontside carver with metal so that's where the RTM comes in.  I am 5'6" and approx. 175lbs.

post #71 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsnowgirl View Post
 

The RTM 81 at my local resort is only available in 171 and 176 so too tall for me so I will have to skip this demo.   They have the RTM 75 in 166 so I can try this.  My question is I am really interested in the RTM 77 cause it has steel in it but can't demo this one.  I can demo the 75.   What is the difference between these two skis besides metal/no metal and 2 mm of width.  I was thinking of demoing the 75 just to get a feel but then buying the 77 cause this seems to be my only option.   I currently ski a Volkl Kenja in 163 but this is my all mountain ski so I'm looking for a narrower frontside carver with metal so that's where the RTM comes in.  I am 5'6" and approx. 175lbs.


Sorry, I don't see the need for a front side carver when you have a Kenja. If you want that much of a change I'd get a SL ski at this point.

 

I'm more of an all-mountain guy. I do ski my Kendo's when its icy. But I also tend to ski where there's snow pushed up.

 

 

What are your Kenja's tuned at ? They should hold good on ice.

 

 

Oh just read your above post. My GF is a bit lighter then you but is enjoying her Kenja's in 156cm she sounds about your level too. May be try the Kenja in 156.

 

She has also improved on the Kenja. She's had them since Xmas, when her son-in-law saw her ski last Sunday from the last time during Xmas... he was amazed at how much better she is. His comment was, "look at her go, she's doing great".

post #72 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Capacity View Post
 


Sorry, I don't see the need for a front side carver when you have a Kenja. If you want that much of a change I'd get a SL ski at this point.  I'm more of an all-mountain guy. I do ski my Kendo's when its icy. But I also tend to ski where there's snow pushed up.  What are your Kenja's tuned at ? They should hold good on ice.

 

Oh just read your above post. My GF is a bit lighter then you but is enjoying her Kenja's in 156cm she sounds about your level too. May be try the Kenja in 156.  She has also improved on the Kenja. She's had them since Xmas, when her son-in-law saw her ski last Sunday from the last time during Xmas... he was amazed at how much better she is. His comment was, "look at her go, she's doing great".

 

Just had the Kenja tuned up and last weekend was solid frozen snow over sheets of ice and yes the Kenja did just fine, really fine, great in fact.  I didn't slide once and really felt in control.    I did demo the Kenja in 156 but with my height/weight it was recommend I am in a 160-165cm ski.  Glad your GF has had a similar experience with the Kenja, its pretty invigorating.   I really want my BF to try the Kendo.

 

I just would prefer a narrower but just as stiff ski for those super ice/hard pack days.  That's why I was looking at the RTM's or the Charisma because they are just as stiff but narrower underfoot and front side ice is really their specialty. 

 

What is a SL ski and what are some recommendations?

post #73 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsnowgirl View Post
 

 

Just had the Kenja tuned up and last weekend was solid frozen snow over sheets of ice and yes the Kenja did just fine, really fine, great in fact.  I didn't slide once and really felt in control.    I did demo the Kenja in 156 but with my height/weight it was recommend I am in a 160-165cm ski.  Glad your GF has had a similar experience with the Kenja, its pretty invigorating.   I really want my BF to try the Kendo.

 

I just would prefer a narrower but just as stiff ski for those super ice/hard pack days.  That's why I was looking at the RTM's or the Charisma because they are just as stiff but narrower underfoot and front side ice is really their specialty. 

 

What is a SL ski and what are some recommendations?


Slalom ski.

 

Here's my new favorite site, http://www.skiessentials.com/ They have lots of skis at great prices.  I checked and they don't have any more SL ski this year.

 

With spring coming you have all summer to research and find a good ski in the mid 70's waist. I'm a Volkl guy so the RTM 77 would be a good choice. Read Volkl's site and google the ski you want and read the reviews.

 

Just noticed the extended the 20% sale.

post #74 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Capacity View Post
 


Slalom ski.

 

Here's my new favorite site, http://www.skiessentials.com/ They have lots of skis at great prices.  I checked and they don't have any more SL ski this year.

 

With spring coming you have all summer to research and find a good ski in the mid 70's waist. I'm a Volkl guy so the RTM 77 would be a good choice. Read Volkl's site and google the ski you want and read the reviews.

 

Just noticed the extended the 20% sale.


I love, love, love the ski essentials site.  I have several skis including carvers on my wish list so I can watch their prices.   Who makes a good slalom ski?  I am absolutely a volkl girl since I haven't yet met a volkl I didn't like.  I am thinking either the RTM 77 or the Charisma.

post #75 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsnowgirl View Post
 


I love, love, love the ski essentials site.  I have several skis including carvers on my wish list so I can watch their prices.   Who makes a good slalom ski?  I am absolutely a volkl girl since I haven't yet met a volkl I didn't like.  I am thinking either the RTM 77 or the Charisma.

 

I read someplace that the Allura and RTM 75 are the same ski, just different graphics

post #76 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikolbyi View Post
 

 

I read someplace that the Allura and RTM 75 are the same ski, just different graphics

Thanks, that would make sense because the Charisma has a counterpart on the RTM side as well.   I am looking forward to demoing the RTM 75 this weekend if its still around, hopefully no one has bought it. 

post #77 of 89
post #78 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikolbyi View Post
 

 

I read someplace that the Allura and RTM 75 are the same ski, just different graphics

 

I just did some reading on the allura and it sounds awesome.  Sounds like a great ski bit I think I'd be inclined to go with the allura over the RTM 75 because the allura has steel the RTM 75 does not. 

post #79 of 89

 

Thanks for these.  I am semi in love with the Charisma and have demoed it in 156 so this is very possibly my ski.   Just want to see if I can grab the RTM to demo but aside from that I don't need any arm twisting to buy the charisma. 

post #80 of 89

Hopefully you can write a review of your time on the RTM's It would be nice to what women thinks of them.

post #81 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsnowgirl View Post
 

 

I just did some reading on the allura and it sounds awesome.  Sounds like a great ski bit I think I'd be inclined to go with the allura over the RTM 75 because the allura has steel the RTM 75 does not. 

The 75is has steel as well, the only difference between the 75 and 75is.  You can purchase the 2014 model year new on eBay

post #82 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikolbyi View Post
 

The 75is has steel as well, the only difference between the 75 and 75is.  You can purchase the 2014 model year new on eBay


Ok, I will try the 75 and if I like it, then maybe will look for the 75is online.  Thank you.

post #83 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikolbyi View Post
 

The 75is has steel as well, the only difference between the 75 and 75is.  You can purchase the 2014 model year new on eBay


 Steel?

post #84 of 89

Here's another idea surfsnowgirl, instead of looking for a thinner ski, why not put that money towards lessons and get better. Then you can ski off the groomers, get into skiing more of the mountain and getting off the ice. Also get away from the crowds.

 

My thinnest ski that I ski is my Kendo's. 

post #85 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakespapa View Post
 


 Steel?

 

Steel?

post #86 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Capacity View Post
 

Here's another idea surfsnowgirl, instead of looking for a thinner ski, why not put that money towards lessons and get better. Then you can ski off the groomers, get into skiing more of the mountain and getting off the ice. Also get away from the crowds.

 

My thinnest ski that I ski is my Kendo's. 

 

That is a great idea except for the fact that where I ski is a small mountain without much choice besides groomers.  I don't think my desire for a thinner ice carver is indicative off my ability at all. I do regularly take lessons and am a pretty good skier.  If I skied somewhere regularly where there were more options for this I might consider forgoing a front side carver.  However, I have to think of where I ski the most and what is best for that type of skiing.  My kenja will get plenty of use so I'm not worried about that.  I know plenty of folks who have a front side carver for ice/hard pack, an all mountain ski for mixed conditions as well as a powder ski.  One of the demo reps at Mount Snow was telling me the same thing that new england really dictates one having at least 2 skis; a front side carver and an all mountain so that's kind of where I am headed

post #87 of 89

good to know more background. I was hinting at "owning a short radius turn". I found that opened up the whole mountain for me.

 

Yesterday and most likely today the snow is going to be firm at Okemo. Skied the morning yesterday, well slide around. Was much worth skiing it was so firm.

 

Not sure a front side carver would even have helped. Friends and I had a good morning, it becomes more of a social thing then a skiing thing. 

post #88 of 89
@surfsnowgirl, if you're keeping the Kenjas and want a real carver, why take a halfway measure and get ANOTHER all mountain ski like an RTM or charisma, that's just a LITTLE bit narrower and is still designed as a compromise ski? Too much overlap there imho. If you're going to do it, get a real carver. Won't try to fight the all Volkl all the time theme here, so what about the 2014-15 Volkl slalom that everyone seems to rave about?

http://www.volkl.com/skis/alpine/racetiger/rt-speedwall-sl-uvo.html?type=16347
post #89 of 89
I'll play the heretic. Why does it have to be Volkl? Nordica makes some women specific carvers, think Fire Arrow for women, that are excellent skis. There is a world of skis out there , why limit yourself to only one brand?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion