EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 2012 Smith I/O comes with no hard case?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012 Smith I/O comes with no hard case?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

Hi,

 

I finally got a hand on the new Smith I/O goggle this week-end, I bought the Vantage + I/O combo and absolutely love the look/fit... however I was quite disapointed when I realised there was nothing to carry the goggles and the extra lens. My father has the same combo, from one or two years ago , and the goggles originally came with that big ass hard case they sell for 35$ with whom you could safely carry all your goggles accessories. I would expect it to be included when you snap a price tag of 190$ on a pair of lens!!

 

Can you guys confirm it does not come with or have I been screwed?

post #2 of 20

Actually, Smith lowered the price last year when they removed the case from the I/O packaging. It went from $180 (US) to $165 (US), Canadian pricing might be different. 

post #3 of 20

Uh, who actually uses a case for their googles? Correct procedure is to leave them attached to your helmet, flip them over the back and into the interior. Which is padded. Ideally after a few days, both goggle strap and interior of helmet will take on same ineffable  odor, which signals you're a serious skier. Correct procedure for the extra lens, which will be lost in first three weeks, is to toss it into your ski bag bottom, perhaps with a soft covering if you're a candidate for analysis. Extra points for it ending up in the boot pockets, where you can stomp it in a slurry of snow and mud as you put away your boots. 

 

 

post #4 of 20
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

Actually, Smith lowered the price last year when they removed the case from the I/O packaging. It went from $180 (US) to $165 (US), Canadian pricing might be different. 


Oh thanks, Well in this case, they obviously did not change the pricing up here...

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by beyond View Post

Uh, who actually uses a case for their googles? Correct procedure is to leave them attached to your helmet, flip them over the back and into the interior. Which is padded. Ideally after a few days, both goggle strap and interior of helmet will take on same ineffable  odor, which signals you're a serious skier. Correct procedure for the extra lens, which will be lost in first three weeks, is to toss it into your ski bag bottom, perhaps with a soft covering if you're a candidate for analysis. Extra points for it ending up in the boot pockets, where you can stomp it in a slurry of snow and mud as you put away your boots. 

 

 


Thanks beyong, I like your point ;)

 

post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

Actually, Smith lowered the price last year when they removed the case from the I/O packaging. It went from $180 (US) to $165 (US), Canadian pricing might be different. 


I've gotten some without (usually from SAC) and some with the case, so I don't know that what you say can be used as a blanket statement.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

Uh, who actually uses a case for their googles? Correct procedure is to leave them attached to your helmet, flip them over the back and into the interior. Which is padded. Ideally after a few days, both goggle strap and interior of helmet will take on same ineffable  odor, which signals you're a serious skier. Correct procedure for the extra lens, which will be lost in first three weeks, is to toss it into your ski bag bottom, perhaps with a soft covering if you're a candidate for analysis. Extra points for it ending up in the boot pockets, where you can stomp it in a slurry of snow and mud as you put away your boots. 

 

 


Of course you're correct, but I love the case as I can put a frame and a few set of lenses in a bag that usually arrives without damage. With quiver in FL and SLC, I must have broke about 5-6 A-Frame lenses getting crushed in the ski bags getting shipped to CO or CA. I've now bought plastic cases (the large Glad sandwich plastic boxes work great) to put the A-Frames in to ship.

 

post #6 of 20

still waiting to snag a pair for a rediculous price. I don't really need them

post #7 of 20

Hey Deep Turn Today,  that is B.S. that you didn't get the case with those goggles! Two years ago i bought some for myself and my wife ( we absolutly love our I/O's ) and for that kind of cash.....YOU GOTTA HAVE THE CASE....I take better care of those goggles than i do my kids!!!!When i get back to the condo i clean both sets  (goggles and lense es) put them in THEIR CASE and warn everybody  not to touch them! And by the way DO NOT USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE BAG TO CLEAN THEM,trust me it cost me some more serious cash to replace the lenses.

post #8 of 20

Actually...

 

I would strongly suggest that you DO NOT use the bag to clean them.  They pick up all sorts of dust,dirt,crap,grit that you want to keep as far away from your lenses as possible.

 

Fastest way to scratches - short of a boot stomp in the lot or that invisible pine branch off trail.

 

Pick up a good quality micro-fiber cloth from your local optician.  Shouldn't cost you more than a couple bucks if that...many have them free - we do.  And remember to n-e-v-e-r clean your goggle lenses if they are wet, particularly on the inner lens surface.  You can do some serious damage to the anti-fog properties if you do.  Keep your separate cloth in your goggle case or pocket and use as needed.  Secondly WASH the damn thing.  At least once a week if you're skiing more than 3 days a week.  Slightly less so if you're not up as often.  But keep the cloth clean, and use it gently on your lenses...barring any face-firsts into the boilerplate, you'll likely enjoy many days scratch free.

 

Cheers!

 

Bri~

post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post

Actually...

 

I would strongly suggest that you DO NOT use the bag to clean them.  They pick up all sorts of dust,dirt,crap,grit that you want to keep as far away from your lenses as possible.

 

 

Bri~



Use the INSIDE of the bag, never made a scratch on my I/O from cleaning it with the goggle bag.  They stay nice and clean in my backpack, how do you get the bag that dirty?

post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhh View Post



Use the INSIDE of the bag, never made a scratch on my I/O from cleaning it with the goggle bag.  They stay nice and clean in my backpack, how do you get the bag that dirty?


I don't get the bag dirty, as I keep it in the hard case.  But I also never use it to clean any lens surface with - inside or otherwise.  It's asking for trouble, and believe me..as an optician, I've seen more scratched lenses and claims of "I just used the supplied bag!" in the past couple weeks than most of us probably see in a lifetime.  It's asking for trouble, particularly when replacement lenses can cost many tens if not hundreds of dollars each.  Ever wonder why the mfrs always stitch that little tag onto the bags emploring you to clean everything with it?  Think they mind selling you replacement lens after replacement lens?  ;)  (They really really don't!)  Just sayin as one in the know...no good can come of using the bag...

 

post #11 of 20

I've had 3 pairs and none of them came with the hard case.

 

CJ

post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJO View Post

I've had 3 pairs and none of them came with the hard case.

 

CJ



You had 3 pairs??? Do you go through a pair every year?

post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post


I've gotten some without (usually from SAC) and some with the case, so I don't know that what you say can be used as a blanket statement.

 



I can say it as a blanket statement because that is what happened. Did you consider that SAC just carries closeouts and leftovers and the ones that you got from them with cases were older generations. I believe it was either last year that Smith changed the pricing/packaging structure. 

post #14 of 20


Worse, I haven't worn any of them yet.  I got the first pair off of ebay.  They were advertised as brand new but had scratches on the lenses, so I resold them.  The second pair I am reselling because the color isn't want I want.  I have my third pair, which is what I'm going to be using.

 

CJ
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Turn Today View Post

Quote:



You had 3 pairs??? Do you go through a pair every year?



 

 

post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post



I can say it as a blanket statement because that is what happened. Did you consider that SAC just carries closeouts and leftovers and the ones that you got from them with cases were older generations. I believe it was either last year that Smith changed the pricing/packaging structure. 



Just one more reason to use AC instead of B&M stores apparently.

post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post



Just one more reason to use AC instead of B&M stores apparently.



It is if you want a 2+ year old model and colors. The versions with the cases are diminishing in inventory though. 

post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post


"I've gotten some without (usually from SAC) and some with the case..."


Uh, guys...Sno stated he got them from SAC *without* cases.  Why would this be a reason to abandon your local b&m shop?  As an employee of a very small business myself, with definite skin in the game, this sort of thinking makes no sense.  I can tell you that anyone smart enough to grace my door will more than benefit from the few dollars more their goggle might cost over a cut rate online discount warehouse.  Custom ordering, expert fit advice, full digital Rx capabilities, complete warranties, easy returns if needed...  Perhaps I missed your point though?

 

Cheers

 

B~

post #18 of 20
Thread Starter 

thanks for the answers guys, that's appreciated. Someone cares to explain what AC/SAC and B&W stroes are??

thanks!

DTT

post #19 of 20

AC- not sure??

SAC- steepandcheap.com

B&M stores- brick and mortar stores as opposed to online ones

 

CJ

post #20 of 20
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJO View Post

AC- not sure??

SAC- steepandcheap.com

B&M stores- brick and mortar stores as opposed to online ones

 

CJ


thanks!

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 2012 Smith I/O comes with no hard case?