EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Gaper post alert- Bandana's Cotton or poly wicking?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gaper post alert- Bandana's Cotton or poly wicking?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

I started wearing bandana's under my bike helmet this year and really like how they keep my hair off my face and sop up sweat. I am going to use one this year skiing.  Since I am not skiing and over thinking things, I was wondering if anyone has used both cotton and a bandana made out of a wicking material like the "buff" brand bandanas and if they felt one was better or worse

 

thats it, yes, this is a total gaper post and I apologize. 

post #2 of 18

bicycling it was worn around the forehead as a sweat band....skiing it will be used over the nose (tucked into the goggles), mouth, chin for sunburn  and windburn protection?

 

will that be worn with or without a helmet?? (just kidding)

post #3 of 18

Yes, if you are using a cotton bandana under helmet, be sure to pre wet it.

post #4 of 18

Huge fan of the merino wool buffs.

 

It's long, thin and has lots of stretch. You can double it up, go single coverage, even up to 4 layers if you need serious face coverage or a headband.

 

  The 3 layers over your ears, one over your mouth,  2 over neck - seems to be my go to configuration on cold  days. This also allows you to easily pull down or up the face layer without disrupting the ear/neck coverage.

 

 

 

post #5 of 18

 

 


Edited by segbrown - 11/5/11 at 2:16pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

Did I ever post this pic? Last year at Thanksgiving, it was well below zero -- merino buff covered everything but my eyes. I hate hate hate stuff on my face, but this is easy enough to breathe through, doesn't fog the goggles, kept me frostbite-less.

 

IMG_6401.jpg



Edit ... I was sort of replying to the last post ... not the first. Don't know about sweat, I don't do that when I'm skiing. Seems like the polypro buff would work, though ... I think the wool would be too warm.

post #7 of 18

Why would you use a bandana instead of a neck gaiter? (I understand the OP's asking about it on top of his head, which I also don't understand, but it looks like ppl are posting with these bandanas around their necks instead of gaiters)

post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphor_ View Post

Why would you use a bandana instead of a neck gaiter? (I understand the OP's asking about it on top of his head, which I also don't understand, but it looks like ppl are posting with these bandanas around their necks instead of gaiters)



What segbrown posted is a /buff/ which is a cross between bandana and gaiter, with a number of ways it can be worn.

 

 

 

OP wants the Marco Pantani vibe, and apparently plain helmet liners just don't have that.

post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

I started wearing bandana's under my bike helmet this year and really like how they keep my hair off my face and sop up sweat. I am going to use one this year skiing.  Since I am not skiing and over thinking things, I was wondering if anyone has used both cotton and a bandana made out of a wicking material like the "buff" brand bandanas and if they felt one was better or worse

 

thats it, yes, this is a total gaper post and I apologize. 



Does that mean that when skiing, you are overthinking things?  I think the Buffs wool (very thin, for neck warmer mode used it doubled) or one of their microfleece/poly

setups would work.  All depends on your thermostat.  I run hot.

 

post #10 of 18

Yo, yo.  Cotton kills, yo.

 

That merino buff looks like a good option, yo.  Wonder if it comes in paisley?

 

For me, a wellpict baliclava quiver is gold.

post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post



What segbrown posted is a /buff/ which is a cross between bandana and gaiter, with a number of ways it can be worn.

 

 

 


Yeah, what it doesn't show well is that my eyes are peeking out of the hole in the top ... the thing is so long, you just pull it all the way up over your head and forward, poke your face out, like a babushka, and put on everything else.

 

post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 

thank to all for your kindness in replying to this very important thread!

 

Yeah, i have balaclava's but this is just for wearing on top of head not necessarily for warmth. I have to look up the Marco Pantini vibe thing, sounds like it could be a new look for me?  

 

also, yes on the mtn bike thing, just around head unless it's cold....  

 

Seg, that picture is very manly....

 

do I think too much when skiing?  Not anymore really- its used to be a real problem- seriously! 

 

 

OK, so I will take Mr. Bumpa del La Freak's "cotton kills" advice... 

post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

I started wearing bandana's under my bike helmet this year and really like how they keep my hair off my face and sop up sweat. I am going to use one this year skiing.  Since I am not skiing and over thinking things, I was wondering if anyone has used both cotton and a bandana made out of a wicking material like the "buff" brand bandanas and if they felt one was better or worse

 

thats it, yes, this is a total gaper post and I apologize. 


If you need a bandana to sop up sweat while skiing well I have no experience with this aspect of skiing. If excessive sweat is a problem for you I would suggest wearing less, not more clothes.  I do have a O/R skullcap and / or balaclava that i sometimes wear under my helm when it is REALLY cold, these thin layers do add considerable warmth. If you are not doing this to add warmth then why are you considering it?

 


Edited by tromano - 11/6/11 at 7:16am
post #14 of 18

There's nothing gaper about it.  It's the best way to prevent your glasses and goggles from fogging while cycling or skiing.  Instead of a full bandana you should be using a wicking headband, though, because it will be more comfortable.  I've been using one under my bike helmet and while skiing for years to prevent fogging and keep the sweat off my face (cycling), and it makes a huge difference.

 

Up until this year I used a Pearl Izumi wicking headband under my helmets or ski hat.  The current model is called the Transfer Lite.  This past summer I switched over to the Halo 'Halo II' headband for cycling because it has an inside seal that directs sweat away from your forehead and past your temples.  This makes it even more effective for keeping sweat off your face and preventing your glasses and goggles from fogging.  I'll probably use it for skiing this year, too.

post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpfreaq View Post

Yo, yo.  Cotton kills, yo.

 

That merino buff looks like a good option, yo.  Wonder if it comes in paisley?

 

For me, a wellpict baliclava quiver is gold.


We have Serius buffs in stock at Bud's shop, IN PAISLEY!!!!

 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by exracer View Post

There's nothing gaper about it.  It's the best way to prevent your glasses and goggles from fogging while cycling or skiing.  Instead of a full bandana you should be using a wicking headband, though, because it will be more comfortable.  I've been using one under my bike helmet and while skiing for years to prevent fogging and keep the sweat off my face (cycling), and it makes a huge difference.

 

Up until this year I used a Pearl Izumi wicking headband under my helmets or ski hat.  The current model is called the Transfer Lite.  This past summer I switched over to the Halo 'Halo II' headband for cycling because it has an inside seal that directs sweat away from your forehead and past your temples.  This makes it even more effective for keeping sweat off your face and preventing your glasses and goggles from fogging.  I'll probably use it for skiing this year, too.


I agree.  We had a lengthy discussion about neck gaiters a while back, and while I'm not one to wear one often, the times I do, i find it extremely uncomfortable to wear anything that doesn't wick and breathe.   Frozen mankey gaiter = YUCK!

 

post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 

in all seriousness, these look perfect!  thanks the Halo II or the anti-freeze looks perfect. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by exracer View Post

There's nothing gaper about it.  It's the best way to prevent your glasses and goggles from fogging while cycling or skiing.  Instead of a full bandana you should be using a wicking headband, though, because it will be more comfortable.  I've been using one under my bike helmet and while skiing for years to prevent fogging and keep the sweat off my face (cycling), and it makes a huge difference.

 

Up until this year I used a Pearl Izumi wicking headband under my helmets or ski hat.  The current model is called the Transfer Lite.  This past summer I switched over to the Halo 'Halo II' headband for cycling because it has an inside seal that directs sweat away from your forehead and past your temples.  This makes it even more effective for keeping sweat off your face and preventing your glasses and goggles from fogging.  I'll probably use it for skiing this year, too.



 

post #17 of 18

Finn,

Check out the full Halo Protec. I use this all cycling season and it does a great job of sweat control. Nice and thin to get under a helmet. You would look sooo baaad in on one of these!

 

 

http://www.rei.com/product/710873/halo-protex

post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 

thanks Mike! Appreciated. I will check it out. I really don't need warmth, just something to keep hair and sweat out of my face.  Halo has some great products! 

 

 

TC- I think I should buy le freak, a paisley Buff  whaddyathink?  

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Gaper post alert- Bandana's Cotton or poly wicking?