It turns out that my kids have the week before Christmas off, so I'd like to do some skiing then. Must be driving distance from DC and have on-site lodging. I have been to Snowshoe WV and Seven Springs PA, but never to Wisp MD. Does anybody have recent info about Wisp?
What I've learned so far:
- There is a hotel and restaurant on site.
- Hotel has indoor pool + hot tub (important for wife & kids).
- Mid-week lodging and ticket rates are about half of what they will be during Christmas week.
- Their webmaster doesn't know that a large, static image or PDF is better than a small "interactive" trail map.
- Mostly green and blue runs, which is good for a couple of my kids.
- Almost no black runs, and even those are probably laughable compared to where I want to ski.
- Smallish area that could be fully explored in a day or two (but any skiing at all is better than sitting in an office).
What I don't know:
- Is there likely to be snow before Christmas? Is the entire hill likely to be open?
- Are there any VERY easy greens for a child who is still very tentative?
- Are there any mogul runs so I can at least work on those skills?
- Are the hotel and restaurant acceptable for a few days?
- Is there a ski check or locker in the hotel, or do you have to bring skis to the room?
- Is it true that too-frequent ticket-checking causes long lines even if few people? (read that somewhere)
- Are the lifts horribly slow?
Thanks for any info!
P.S. Am willing to consider alternative suggestions.