or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Whats your favorite thing about skiing... besides skiing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Whats your favorite thing about skiing... besides skiing? - Page 3

post #61 of 93

The 'right here - right now' feeling

post #62 of 93

Almost everybody is in a good mood on the hill. Those who aren't should be booted! On any day though I can enjoy a number of things, seeing a good amount of snow on the ground in town is usually a sign of alot more on the hill. Coffee on a cold mornings always nice. I love loading up with my group of lifties and carpooling, always entertaining. But i think day to day my favorite is still the people, the vibe is infectious.

post #63 of 93
.
post #64 of 93

For me it is the planning and anticipation associated with ski trips.  The excitement of finally getting to a ski destination that you always wanted to check out.   And with a little luck and cooperation from mother nature, getting the perfect conditions.   

post #65 of 93

Most of the things that came to my mind have already been said, but if I had to go with one, I'd say THE ANTICIPATION

post #66 of 93

The absolute silence of a windless midnight snowfall...standing at the top of Mammoth on a bluebird day, 100 mile visibility and the 360 degree view of mountain tops...the squeak of <20 degree snow...the absence of all stray thoughts/responsibilites/distractions as my focus narrows absolutely to the task at hand.

 

And the sh*t eating grin on my daughter's face which matches my own.

post #67 of 93

Another one:

 

Sitting in front of the fire at my cabin with snow coming down outside, a day on the mountain under my belt and another on the way. 

post #68 of 93

For me, sking means vacation. I like everything about vacations except flying ridiculous distances over the Pacific, typically all night. At home, lunches are no big deal and usually consist of leftovers eaten in the office. I really like good lunches while sking. Particuarly, if it's storming outside. A good lunch with a decent glass of wine in a nice setting is pretty nice. 

post #69 of 93

I perversely love the level of planning, organisation, logistics and analysis required to go skiing (live 3 1/2 hours away from the mountains) successfully here, then the total suspension of all of the above to complete abandonment to gravity and greater forces when on the hill.

post #70 of 93

It has been dumping for days and shows no signs of letting up. You're standing in the lift line at 5:00am, it's dark, the anticipation of the coming treat is buzzing through the group of riders at the base. You hear a hand charge, everyone smiles. You hear Howitzer rounds...lots of them, then you hear the 50 pound sled charge go off. BOOM!!! People start getting antsy. You've been listening to explosions for hours that echo through the valley. Patrol calls down. More avy work to do, the mountain will open late. A few more charges and then silence. Five minutes later you hear the lift ops radio crackle. Patrol says the mountain is clear to load public. That moment right there is my favorite thing about skiing...besides skiing.

post #71 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by offpiste View Post

It has been dumping for days and shows no signs of letting up. You're standing in the lift line at 5:00am, it's dark, the anticipation of the coming treat is buzzing through the group of riders at the base. You hear a hand charge, everyone smiles. You hear Howitzer rounds...lots of them, then you hear the 50 pound sled charge go off. BOOM!!! People start getting antsy. You've been listening to explosions for hours that echo through the valley. Patrol calls down. More avy work to do, the mountain will open late. A few more charges and then silence. Five minutes later you hear the lift ops radio crackle. Patrol says the mountain is clear to load public. That moment right there is my favorite thing about skiing...besides skiing.

I've waited in the lift line for nearly an hour at 7 am, but 5?eek.gif .  I still haven't gotten out of the hot tub or finished my bacon sandwich at 5 wink.gif.  What time do the lifts open there?
 

 

post #72 of 93

9:00a. but when the mountain could be tracked out by 11:00a and there is potential that the snow will be so deep that you will be choking on it...you most definitely want to be in the front of the line to get as many inbounds shots as possible. Then hit the OB gates for an afternoon of OMG!!!

post #73 of 93

Most people will think I'm crazy, but I love the drive to the mountain. Driving through snow, scenic ranges, cool little towns with the best places to eat, and playing my ipod the whole way. Jay is 5 hours one way, and that's a day trip to me. 4:30 to Stowe, with no one but my GPS. And when I do bring friends, I still drive. Both ways.

post #74 of 93

I get that, to some degree.  In the winter it takes me just under 3 hours to get to Tahoe, so I've come to enjoy it in some ways, particularly once I reach the snow-line.  On the other hand, the drive home just plain sucks.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payneski View Post

Most people will think I'm crazy, but I love the drive to the mountain. Driving through snow, scenic ranges, cool little towns with the best places to eat, and playing my ipod the whole way. Jay is 5 hours one way, and that's a day trip to me. 4:30 to Stowe, with no one but my GPS. And when I do bring friends, I still drive. Both ways.



 

post #75 of 93

Freedom.

 

To be able to do what I love most in life.

 

Being able to use the entire mountain as a playground.

 

Doing something which I excell at, and being able to continually improve.

 

Peace

post #76 of 93

driving through nebraska

post #77 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwi24 View Post

driving through nebraska



I assume you mean driving straight through and not stopping? Like, driving PAST Nebraska. (No offense, Nebraskans.)

post #78 of 93

Getting up early on a pow day to get first chair.

post #79 of 93

Meeting new and interesting people on the lift, in the XC tracks or out in the BC.

post #80 of 93

This is also one of the best parts of skiing... besides skiing

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post

Meeting new and interesting people on the lift, in the XC tracks or out in the BC.



 

post #81 of 93

I'm with Mom.

 

I like the silence of a snowy day.  I was 34 when I first discovered the quietness of snow - it's magic.

 

That, and the first *clack* of the binding as I click in.

 

And then the freedom I feel standing at the top, deciding how to ski the slope.

 

 

 

 

post #82 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwi24 View Post

driving through nebraska


This one took me three days in a 1970 VW Campmobile!

 

Back to Topic:

 

Night Skiing.  I love it.

 

post #83 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwi24 View Post

driving through nebraska



Driving through NE beats driving through KS.  At least I-80 across NE has that left hand curve near Ogalalla.

 

I recall the joy of finally seeing the Rockies off in the distance as I drove in from the east.

post #84 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post



Driving through NE beats driving through KS.  At least I-80 across NE has that left hand curve near Ogalalla.

 

I recall the joy of finally seeing the Rockies off in the distance as I drove in from the east.

Ok, this has been driving me nuts for a while..so I'm just gonna ask.  Toecutter, whenever I see one of your posts I spend 5 min trying to figure out your avatar pic.  Sooo....What is in the pic? th_dunno-1[1].gif
 

 

post #85 of 93

watching helmet cam footage of my best runs

 

and driving....the moment you see the mountain that you're going to ski on in the distance 

post #86 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alveolus View Post

Quote:

Ok, this has been driving me nuts for a while..so I'm just gonna ask.  Toecutter, whenever I see one of your posts I spend 5 min trying to figure out your avatar pic.  Sooo....What is in the pic? th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
 

 


It's a dead sheep or pig, at least the head of one.

 

post #87 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alveolus View Post

Quote:

Ok, this has been driving me nuts for a while..so I'm just gonna ask.  Toecutter, whenever I see one of your posts I spend 5 min trying to figure out your avatar pic.  Sooo....What is in the pic? th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
 

 



It's a dead alien.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp2txd0tQ8U

post #88 of 93

Snow. I love snow. The silence in the air.

 

Spending the day doing something I love with my best friend.

 

Gear. Gotta love the gear.

 

 

post #89 of 93


 

Sometimes ya gotta love hating the gear.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post


 

Gear. Gotta love the gear.

 

 



 

 

post #90 of 93

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post



It's a dead alien.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp2txd0tQ8U



Ah...now I don't feel quite as stupid.  The news story was titled "Unidentifiable Object"

 

/threadjack over

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Whats your favorite thing about skiing... besides skiing?