EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › One ski quiver: bacons or helix?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

One ski quiver: bacons or helix?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

i've narrowed it down between the bacons and the helix

 
i'm 6'0 165lbs, advanced/expert skier looking to get better and ski more the steep trees and pow. still enjoy shredding the groomers every once in a while.
 
it's my first time buying skis, looking for any opinions on these 2 skis, i've considered many others but have come down to these 2 after all my research and forum surfing.
 
any insight is greatly appreciated
 
bindings i'm considering are the look pivots and the marker griffons, thoughts on those are more than welcome as well
 
thanks

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 10

Would it be this years bacons or last? Because they are different skis. Anyway i would say they're both good choices. Same with the bindings. i am sure you'd be happy with both.

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 

yeah they would both be this years' models. narrower underfoot on the bacons and an early rise on the helix compared to last year

post #4 of 10

Ok, I have skied the Bacons, but have no experience on the helix. For what you said you would use the skis for, trees, pow and still some groomed, the bacons excel. They have the early rise that allows improved flotation, but its really subtle so most of the length of the edge is still used on the groomed. I loved them, and probably would have gotten a pair if i didnt already have a 100 mm ski. So while i can't help you with the Helix, i can tell you the bacon is an incredible ski.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasmit View Post

yeah they would both be this years' models. narrower underfoot on the bacons and an early rise on the helix compared to last year



 

post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by poNTOonMcConks View Post

Ok, I have skied the Bacons, but have no experience on the helix. For what you said you would use the skis for, trees, pow and still some groomed, the bacons excel. They have the early rise that allows improved flotation, but its really subtle so most of the length of the edge is still used on the groomed. I loved them, and probably would have gotten a pair if i didnt already have a 100 mm ski. So while i can't help you with the Helix, i can tell you the bacon is an incredible ski. 

 



thanks pontoon, that's exactly what i was looking for. a ski that performs well all over the mountain. i am having trouble finding people who've skied the helix. so far everything i've heard about this years bacons is positive.. so if i don't hear anything about the helix i'll have no reservations about getting the sfbs

post #6 of 10

Glad i could help!

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasmit View Post

i've narrowed it down between the bacons and the helix

 
i'm 6'0 165lbs, advanced/expert skier looking to get better and ski more the steep trees and pow. still enjoy shredding the groomers every once in a while.
 
it's my first time buying skis, looking for any opinions on these 2 skis, i've considered many others but have come down to these 2 after all my research and forum surfing.
 
any insight is greatly appreciated
 
bindings i'm considering are the look pivots and the marker griffons, thoughts on those are more than welcome as well
 
thanks

 

 

Could I learn your SECRET ?   How do you become an Expert skier and have never bought a pair of ski's  ???
 

 

post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete No. Idaho View Post

 

 

Could I learn your SECRET ?   How do you become an Expert skier and have never bought a pair of ski's  ??? 

 


i've never bought skis for myself is what i said. i had skis given to me as a gift a long time ago and i've skied them for a very long time. the last 2 seasons i did not have much time to ski so i rented whenever i got the chance to go out to kind of get a sense of what is out there now. this is my first time doing the shopping and researching what i want in a ski after having skied on a few vastly different skies over the past 2 years

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete No. Idaho View Post

 

 

Could I learn your SECRET ?   How do you become an Expert skier and have never bought a pair of ski's  ??? 

 



Does it matter?

 

post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by poNTOonMcConks View Post

Does it matter?

 


No doesn't matter at all.  Just wanted to get in on the $ train if their was one.roflmao.gif    

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion

Gear mentioned in this thread:

EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › One ski quiver: bacons or helix?