EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Right Size Moment Night Trains?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Right Size Moment Night Trains?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Advanced skier at Alpine Meadows/Squaw, 5'10" 215 lbs., ski 50% off-piste, trees, love the steep and deep, occasional mogul fields. Currently skiing older Volant Chubb 170s. Have demoed Volkl Gotamas 178s, felt fine, but a little long in tight spaces. Current skis don't float enough in powder. Alpine is having a special on these "collaboration" Moment Night Trains for passholders. Trying to decide between 168s and 178s. Should I go for the shorter ones, or will they be too short for my weight in powder? Do I just need to get used to the longer length? Will the Night Trains be better in tight spaces than the Gotamas?

post #2 of 13

Welcome to Epic. However, this is probably a question for TGR. I think we have one, maybe two, members who've talked about skiing the NT. But I cannot fathom your two choices, so doubt they will. It's a moderate flex ski to begin with, with serious symmetrical double rocker. Significantly softer and higher rocker than the Goats this year. Not sure it's the perfect 50% steep and deep ski, more designed for doing tricks as you pivot down pillows. But you'd just do a series of face plants on the 168's as you sank below the surface. Even the 178 will be fairly short for someone of your size. So the choice should be between the 178 and the 186...

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 

OK, I'm obviously ignorant, would you please educate me? Obviously I got confused by people describing the NTs as great powder and allaround skis. I don't do tricks or hucks, like to ski in places like 3 Sisters and Promised Land and Beaver Bowl at AM, in the trees at places like Poulsen's Gully and Granite Chief at Squaw. What sticks would you suggest for powder days, that will still be ok in crud and not kill me on the groomed way back? I like the idea of locally made skis, so Moment or Praxis would be favored. But am open to other suggestions.

post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot210 View Post

Advanced skier at Alpine Meadows/Squaw, 5'10" 215 lbs., ski 50% off-piste, trees, love the steep and deep, occasional mogul fields. Currently skiing older Volant Chubb 170s. Have demoed Volkl Gotamas 178s, felt fine, but a little long in tight spaces. Current skis don't float enough in powder. Alpine is having a special on these "collaboration" Moment Night Trains for passholders. Trying to decide between 168s and 178s. Should I go for the shorter ones, or will they be too short for my weight in powder? Do I just need to get used to the longer length? Will the Night Trains be better in tight spaces than the Gotamas?



The 168 will definitley be too short. Even the 178 will feel really short. Im like your exact size and ski the 186 and even THAT feels short. The rocker in the tip is HUGE. I think if you combine both rockers it adds up to 60 cm of the skis length. I'd say for sure go 178, it'll feel like a 140-50 cm ski. Which is good in the tight spaces. They pivot so damn easily its almost effortless.

 

post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

Welcome to Epic. However, this is probably a question for TGR. I think we have one, maybe two, members who've talked about skiing the NT. But I cannot fathom your two choices, so doubt they will. It's a moderate flex ski to begin with, with serious symmetrical double rocker. Significantly softer and higher rocker than the Goats this year. Not sure it's the perfect 50% steep and deep ski, more designed for doing tricks as you pivot down pillows. But you'd just do a series of face plants on the 168's as you sank below the surface. Even the 178 will be fairly short for someone of your size. So the choice should be between the 178 and the 186...



While i don't disagree with you, i will add that it actually is a fairly stiff ski. I ski it everywhere and it kills it. It deffinitley is designed to pivot though.

 

post #6 of 13

^^^^ Ah, someone at Epic who has actually skied them. Didn't realize it was a stiff ski from the reviews elsewhere and Moment's flex diagram. Interesting, because I've also been mulling them over, they seem like the definitive tree ski for deep days. But I've been thinking the 186, given all that rocker on each end. If they're actually stiff, think the 178 would work for someone my size or will I be going over the handlebars?

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

^^^^ Ah, someone at Epic who has actually skied them. Didn't realize it was a stiff ski from the reviews elsewhere and Moment's flex diagram. Interesting, because I've also been mulling them over, they seem like the definitive tree ski for deep days. But I've been thinking the 186, given all that rocker on each end. If they're actually stiff, think the 178 would work for someone my size or will I be going over the handlebars?



Yeah reading reviews last season, i was a little concerned because everyone said they were a soft/ medium flex ski. i decided to give em a go, and was surprised. I'm not a small guy either. i'm 210 pounds and thought they were just fine. The flex is what i would call perfect. Not so stiff that your'e getting bounced, but not so soft either. While its not exactly a stiff ski, its more in the middle. These are my go to skis whenever i am in the mood to do everything. And yes, they are the best in the trees. So confidence inspiring. Its almost like you think which way to go, and you go there. I don't think you'd go over the bars on the 178. Mine are mounted 5 cm from true center and its hard to dive the tips. I think they would work

 

post #8 of 13

^^^^ Thanks, very helpful. 

post #9 of 13

No problem!

post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thanks for some real info.!

post #11 of 13



No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot210 View Post

Thanks for some real info.!



 

post #12 of 13

There is a big discussion on them over in the TGR tech forums. I suggest you take a look.

 

FWIW, I'm smaller and lighter than you and ski the gots in a 183 and have no problems in tight trees. I also just bought ON3P Bill Goats in a 186 to really do it to it in the trees. Basic point is that length is your friend when it comes to the new designs in skis.

post #13 of 13

Yo, I am 5'11" 170lbs. Started skiing about three years ago, Snowboarded for five years before switching over. I ski the 186, They are soft and playful, with the twin tips and the rocker it seems like your skiing on a smaller ski. email me if you need more info kappa080@hotmail.com thanks

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Right Size Moment Night Trains?