Hello everyone I am new here. I am going to buy my first pair of shaped skis. I have been using the old straight skis from the early 90's or late 80's. I have been using 175cm skis. I am about 5'10 in shoes and weigh 180lb. I ski in minnesota so nothing huge mostly groomed hills. I would consider myself an intermediate skier. I would go about 3 times a week last season. I mostly just pleasure ski I don't really do anything crazy. I will be buying online and have been looking at Blizzard Magnum 7.4 but I can't decide what size to get either 163cm or 170cm. Does anyone have any suggestions or alternatives? Thanks
Related Forum Threads
- New 2013 Blizzard Bushwackers 180 in plastic Last post on 8/27/12 at 7:56pm in Gear Swap - Buy & Sell Gear
- WTB: Blizzard IQ MAX Binding DIN 12 Last post on 1/11/12 at 7:17am in WTB and PSA for Gear
- length Last post on 11/9/11 at 3:17pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Eastern Canada One Ski Quiver Last post on 11/11/11 at 9:16pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- I now REALLY need a new ski Last post on 10/23/11 at 6:20pm in Ski Gear Discussion
2017 Blizzard Black Pearl Review
Last edited: 8/4/16
- 2017 Blizzard Brahma ReviewLast edited: 8/4/16
- SkiEssentials.com - 2017 Blizzard Quattro 8.0 Ti ReviewLast edited: 4/29/16
- 2017 Blizzard Skis PreviewLast edited: 8/4/16
- Blizzard's Flip Core Rocker: Understanding the Construction...Last edited: 9/12/13
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Buying first shaped skispost #1 of 810/23/11 at 11:13amThread Starterpost #2 of 810/23/11 at 11:38ampost #3 of 810/23/11 at 11:56amThread Starterpost #4 of 810/23/11 at 12:10pmpost #5 of 810/23/11 at 12:13pmpost #6 of 810/23/11 at 12:16pm
Sorry for the annoying response, and welcome to epicski. As the season starts up there are a lot of "what ski to buy" threads and it seems to be random luck whether they catch attention and start a flurry of responses or not.
In general, for a small midwestern hill, and an introduction to modern skis, you want a short-turn-radius carver (SL style) in a short length, say 165-ish.
This assumes you want to fully buy-in to modernization, not ski old style on new skis (and I say that as an old guy who had to completely rework his technique just before age 50).
Hopefully someone who knows the Blizzard line can comment. Unfortunately, I don't pay too much attention to the current crop of skis in the years I'm not shopping for myself.
Edit -- Hey, someone who knows something (Whiteroom) stepped in while I was typing. Listen to him, he knows his skis.post #7 of 810/23/11 at 12:29pm
Welcome to EpicSki!
In general this should be valid :
Shorter skis turn easier, but tend to be more wobbly or unstable at higher speed, so it depends on your preference.
Also, shorter skis will be easier to make slalom-like turns on ( shorter radius ), while a longer ski will be more stable at high speed and will typically have a longer radius ( geant slalom turn).
If possible, demo the skis in the two sizes you're contemplating buying.
I'm about your height ( 179 cm ) and ski lenghts between 164 - 195 on shaped skis, and up to 210 on straight skis. I guess I'm a gaper too, as I also call them shaped and straight/pencil skis.
Hope this helps.
Madspost #8 of 810/23/11 at 12:31pmThread Starter
- Buying first shaped skis
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2017 Blizzard Brahma Review
- › How many sizes of skis will my child go through? 1 minute ago
- › Planning a Heli-Skiing trip to BC 3 minutes ago
- › Are 4 Snow Tires Needed on a Front Wheel Drive Car 4 minutes ago
- › how to adjsut Rossignol Power 10C axial front binding 10 minutes ago
- › Beginners tip bible - share yours 10 minutes ago
- › 87 degree side edge too much for park? 12 minutes ago
- › Decision '17: Whistler or Alta/Bird? 13 minutes ago
- › What's your ski trip rig? Lets see some pictures! 16 minutes ago
- › Help me analyse some of my turns? 22 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 30 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer