That is the question,if the fit is acceptable right out of the box. What is the advantage of heating the liner,or more precisely what does heating the liner accomplish that wearing the boots and liner doesn't? I am aware of the “custom” fit but everything I have heard about these is that they fit better over time. I know all about the cork heating up creating a nice heel pocket,but my question is that if the fit improves over time this suggests that the liner continues to adapt to the wearer's anatomy.
Related Forum Threads
- Injected liners - who's got em? Last post on 8/1/13 at 1:54pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- FS: Tecnica Pheonix 100 Airshell Boots w/ New LIner 27.5 $240 Last post on 1/3/12 at 4:32pm in Gear Swap - Buy & Sell Gear
- Expand metatarsal buckle on Dalbello boss ID? Last post on 11/10/11 at 6:34am in Ski Gear Discussion
- When to add OMFit to ZipFits? Last post on 2/2/16 at 7:07pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Best to buy/fit boots for 2013-14 season, in summer in South, or in Winter out West? Last post on 8/18/13 at 1:09pm in Ski Gear Discussion
2016 Lange Buyers Guide
Last edited: 8/4/16
- Salomon Ski BootsLast edited: 8/4/16
- Palau - Ski boot linersLast edited: 12/7/12
- Keep Your Feet WarmLast edited: 9/7/12
- The Birdcage Boot Experiment By David MacphailLast edited: 12/15/12
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Do you "HAVE" TO heat fit Zip Fit boot liners?post #1 of 710/19/11 at 6:22pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 710/19/11 at 8:09pm
Intuition liners will adapt to your feet over time also, but that adaption will not give the owner as much toe room as the heat fitting process will, assuming that it is done correctly with the toe caps. In addition the heat fitting gives you a custom fit immediately which will be more comfortable from the start. I have Intuition liners and when I first tried them on, not in the shell, I thought they felt pretty good. Once I put them in the shell and put on the boot, it was an entirely different story, they were painful. Once I got them molded correctly to my feet they were great, comfortable and warm. I have never had Zip Fit liners but I if they recommend heat fitting, I would recommend doing it. Your feet will probably thank you for it.post #3 of 710/19/11 at 9:44pm
The ZipFit and Intuition are entirely different concepts. The intuition is more or less worthless without heat forming and a little better than that with it. The ZipFit is a heavier duty version of the lace up "Flo" liners that come in most high end "plug" race boots. The fit material in a Zip is almost 100% "Flo" material. This material is best utilized with some heat to start the forming process. However, if the fit feels more or less acceptable without warming, then go for it. It will only get better.
SJpost #4 of 710/20/11 at 4:19amThread Starterpost #5 of 711/17/15 at 10:10pm
Why does Zipfit recommend heating the boot shells before molding the liners then?
I have a WC pair coming and am confused as to the proper fitting technique. I have some stretches and punches on my shell, so heating the shell up to 200F seems like it would cause a potential loss of my punches.
Would heating the liners and shells in a hot bag be enough to get the process started?post #6 of 711/21/15 at 7:15pm
Followed the zipfit fitting method and boiled the shells for my world cups. Amazing fit!!! I've never felt a boot fit so well as it did with the warm shell and liner molding together. No issues with my previous punches. Either the shell did a slight remold to the liner or perhaps it didn't change? The fit afterward was better than my previous fit with the stock liner by a mile.
I thought it might be rough today skiing for the first time, but thanks to my Hotbag, slipping in race style was no problem. Skied with the buckles in the loosest position and never felt like the boots were too loose. Normally I have a bit of numbness in my left foot starting out, even with the buckles loose, no such issue today.
Such as solid liner, and easy to fit. I think I have found my last liner.
- Do you "HAVE" TO heat fit Zip Fit boot liners?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Salomon Ski Boots
- › FS - Nordica El Capo Skis - 185-cm 7 minutes ago
- › Seeing the whole picture 10 minutes ago
- › 2016-2017 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion 13 minutes ago
- › What Should our FEET FEEL? 16 minutes ago
- › Ski Pole length question? along with decision on what ones to buy 16 minutes ago
- › Terrain Based Instruction for Beginners - Is it new? Why is it... 29 minutes ago
- › Volkl V-Werks CODE UVO - how stiff? 51 minutes ago
- › Anybody wearing hip protection 1 hour, 11 minutes ago
- › Ski Powder Highway 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
- › Travel Agent t that specializes in Europe 1 hour, 28 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer
- › 68 Days: A Story of Skiing's Life...