Hi, I'm 6'0", 44 years old, 175 lbs. I grew up racing in the East but now ski mostly at Whistler (and the interior mountains of BC). I ski a combination of black/double blacks at Whistler + groomed runs if there is less snow. My skiing style is probably on the more 'traditional' side.
Last year I demoed a lot of skis after my Metron B5s were stolen at Whistler. In the end, the MX88 was the best ski I tried - they seem to do everything well and are a great all around ski.
On the bigger Whistler days (where the snow isn't usually light and fluffy like the interior of BC), I'm having a little trouble on my MX88s and was thinking a bigger ski might help for those days. I'm looking for a ski with:
- Lots of stability in the broken up conditions which exist after the first hour or so at Whistler
- A ski where the tips are less likely to dive when the snow gets really deep
- A ski which is still fun to ski in soft moguls. Even when there is lots of fresh snow, there is often a mogul section on the way to the powder and I still want to enjoy skiing it
- I don't want to ski down to the car at 10:30am when the powder is gone to get my other pair of skis (I have friends who do this).
- Enough manuverability to feel a bit more confident in the trees.
- I don't want to make three large super high speed turns down the hill! I tend to make more short to medium radius turns.
I tried a pair of Atomic Access skis for a couple of days last year. While the tips didn't dive, I didn't find they were very stable in Whistler conditions.
After reading all the threads I could find, I think I have it down to:
- MX108 (similar to the Cochise from what I've read - I wonder which one is more manuverable)
- DPS 112 (more powder specific/lively/playful at the expense of stability?)
In Canada, they are all about the same price so this is not a factor. It is a little harder to demo skis for these conditions as they don't occur all the time. In addition, some of these skis look like they will sell out early.
Can anyone recommend one of the three over the others for me?