EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › New Ski Tuning, and Base Preparation How To Video Series
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Ski Tuning, and Base Preparation How To Video Series

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

As you will see, I worked hard on this video series about tuning a new ski.  The total length is over 1 hour for the 8 parts.

I hope this will help many folks looking to help themselves.  I proper tuned ski is paramount to your learning , and your skis total potential.  There is nothing like a "bad" tune to turn-off a new skier to the sport.  Any questions you may have, I will answer to my best on the YouTube comments, or you may PM me here.   Thanks, Jacques

 

Here is the link  :   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNqXz9jTNg8&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SPADABC267A2F54961

post #2 of 12

Lots of work there, very helpful, thanks.  Wish I had you nearby, I'd drop all my sticks off to you biggrin.gif

post #3 of 12

Nice effort Jacques.

 

I've only just begun going through your videos. I like how you describe the 'little things' to help others understand what they are trying to accomplish with each task.

post #4 of 12

For some reason watching that made me think of this.  ;-)

 

Seriously Jacques, that is a great series of videos. As a newbie I hacked my way through some tuning in a condo kitchen last season, but when I can get properly set up in a garage those vids will get another viewing. 

 

Good stuff - thx!

post #5 of 12

Excellent jc-ski! Who might make be the Anal Retentive Tuner at EpicSki? biggrin.gif

post #6 of 12

---


Edited by jc-ski - 10/14/11 at 7:49am
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 

Thanks guys.  There are many videos about tuning.  There are some better than others.  I guess mine are more about talking than anything else!   I do like the one with the kid.  You know...so easy an adult could do it!   Be good all.  PS that was a great article Nolo did on Alpinord.  My goal was to film just actual time of filing etc.  Kind of like my scrape and brush video, long but that's how long I brush.  There is always more than one way to skin a cat.


Edited by Jacques - 10/14/11 at 9:33am
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 

Ha!  You got me all figured now!  That is a funny skit there!  There may be a few funny parts in my series, or maybe I'm just a funny guy!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc-ski View Post

For some reason watching that made me think of this.  ;-)

 

Seriously Jacques, that is a great series of videos. As a newbie I hacked my way through some tuning in a condo kitchen last season, but when I can get properly set up in a garage those vids will get another viewing. 

 

Good stuff - thx!



 

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post

.....I do like the one with the kid.  You know...so easy an adult could do it!......


FWIW, that was my kid when he was in middle school.....but a certain Anal Retentive tuner could not handle the fact the skis were bases up. I became John Goodman, Cajun chef on that one. rolleyes.gif

 

 

post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post

FWIW, that was my kid when he was in middle school.....but a certain Anal Retentive tuner could not handle the fact the skis were bases up. I became John Goodman, Cajun chef on that one. rolleyes.gif

 

 



Yes, I recall.  I though about it, and still say there is more than one way to skin a cat.  Although a taller person may not see the edge so easy that way as they work, but it seems a lot less prone to a slip-off that may gouge an edge when filing.  When stoning it's a feel thing anyway.  I hope it was not me being so anal.  I have made a few negitive comments in my day, but do my best to avoid that.  Be good.   FWIW?  I guess I'm too old to know all those letter deals.  I'm slowly learnning though.  Google helps!  For What It's Worth!

post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post

Yes, I recall.  I though about it, and still say there is more than one way to skin a cat.  Although a taller person may not see the edge so easy that way as they work, but it seems a lot less prone to a slip-off that may gouge an edge when filing.  When stoning it's a feel thing anyway.  I hope it was not me being so anal.  I have made a few negitive comments in my day, but do my best to avoid that.  Be good.   FWIW?  I guess I'm too old to know all those letter deals.  I'm slowly learnning though.  Google helps!  For What It's Worth!


(Not you.) One clear advantage with a pair, bases up, for basic maintenance tunes is you can reduce steps (1/4 as many) and time considerably (by 1/2??)....and it's simpler to comprehend for those on a steep learning curve, including kids. Not only do you eliminate vise positioning of 4 edges, you can inspect all edges by hand to feel for burrs, hit all the edges with one stone before swapping to the other and be done in no time. For more involved tunes, setting edge geometry and using files, on edge and one a t a time is much better, as you know.

 

I get constant questions and requests for keeping it simple and quick, versus more complex and time consuming while trying to fit tuning (versus none at all as one real alternative) into busy lives and other priorities. I think your videos can help with the 'empowerment' and understanding. I'll try to plow through the rest this week.

 

Snow's coming (and already here in places). Everyone should get the boards ready now rather than after the snow. It's more relaxed now and you may find a little more time to be slow and smooth, than pressured to bang 'em out when you're trying to get out the door when a zillion other things also going later. As they say, "It's better to patch the roof when it's not raining or snowing...."

 

 

post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 

Thanks again Terry, I even use the tools a little different than the guy who designed them!  I don't like the angle plates unless they have a stainless glide.  Most of those types will only run on the P-Tex base, and have no contact with the edge, as opposed to a simple flat plate.  Don't work too hard!  There is not a one way only to tune a ski.  The goals at the end are usually the same.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › New Ski Tuning, and Base Preparation How To Video Series