Anyone else planning to hit opening day at the Basin?
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemArapahoe Basintagged by System, 10/10/11
Related Forum Threads
- Winter Park or Loveland Week Before Christmas? Last post on 8/30/16 at 8:03pm in General Skiing Discussion
- North American skiing after Memorial Day? Last post on 6/6/16 at 10:41am in General Skiing Discussion
- Banff or A-basin in Late April/Early May!! Last post on 5/3/16 at 3:11pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- 6 Day Trip to Breck - Worth Hitting A-Basin? Last post on 6/8/16 at 8:12pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Mother's Day at Arapahoe Basin 2016 Last post on 5/8/16 at 9:23pm in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Arapahoe Basin, CO - A PictorialLast edited: 1/5/16
- Colorado Spring Skiing: Don't Fear the AprilLast edited: 6/1/13
- In Praise of the Anti-ResortsLast edited: 5/28/13
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Abasin Opening Day - Oct 2011post #1 of 4610/10/11 at 9:32amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 4610/10/11 at 9:35ampost #3 of 4610/10/11 at 9:19pmpost #4 of 4610/11/11 at 6:57amThread Starter
Al's blog hinted towards Thursday or Friday. I'm hoping for Thursday. I'm leading a Meetup group regardless of which day it is & hope to see you on the slopes ! Korene aka HardKorpost #5 of 4610/11/11 at 9:40am
I won't be there opening day, but I plan to fly out there sometime early in the season once there's enough available to make it worth while. Feel free to keep the rest of us updated on the coverage / lift openings.post #6 of 4610/11/11 at 2:46pmThread Starterpost #7 of 4610/12/11 at 8:31ampost #8 of 4610/12/11 at 8:32am
Arapahoe Basin Opens for the season Thursday October 13th
Yup, for real!
A-Basin announces their opening for tomorrow October 13th
Look at the snow coverage, both man made and nature made!post #9 of 4610/12/11 at 9:12ampost #10 of 4610/12/11 at 9:25amThread Starterpost #11 of 4610/12/11 at 11:36ampost #12 of 4610/13/11 at 4:55am
This was posted on Arapahoe Basin's Facebook wall......
Park features - Down Flat Box, Picnic Table, Down Log and Down 30. Kudos to the team for getting them set last night!
I don't recall them having park features for opening day in the past. Perhaps I'm wrong, but this seems like they're working with quite a bit of natural snow.post #13 of 4610/13/11 at 9:51am
Look at'm all lined up for TWO open trails of WROD!!
Always amazes me that you see this, and yet in April, May when the skiing is 1000x better hardly anyone is there skiingpost #14 of 4610/13/11 at 10:38amQuote:
That's not true, it's just ONE trail! ;-) And they are still there in April and May. And June and July...post #15 of 4610/13/11 at 10:57am
Not just for one WROD. It's opening day. It's fun. Everyone is boozing and smoking and having a good time. They also had a little memorial for Max and Marnie and sent up a ribbon on the first chair. Great tribute I thought. That being said, I think I'll be sticking to weekdays up there until keystone and a few others open to divert the crowds. I don't know why people would go stand in those lines every weekend but for opening day it's fun. BTW the longest I stood in line (outside of the initial 45 min before it opened) was only about 10-12 min. It was moving fast.
Edited by nobueno - 10/13/11 at 1:27pmpost #16 of 4610/13/11 at 11:13amQuote:
Something special about opening day for sure. I'll be at opening day somewhere this season, still got a month and a half to wait here, though.post #17 of 4610/13/11 at 11:22ampost #18 of 4610/13/11 at 11:40am
Opening Day at A-Basin was a blast. Yes only one run open and about a 10 minute lift line wait. However a fun way to get the new season started. Will not ski weekends any time soon but weekdays can be fun for a couple hours. Quick photo of JMD - Stevesmith7 and his wife Pam - Geoffda at A-basin opening day..post #19 of 4610/13/11 at 1:03pmpost #20 of 4610/13/11 at 1:56pmpost #21 of 4610/13/11 at 2:03pm
Nope, no fun to be had at A-Basin whatsoever. Move along people, nothing to see here. Should be 80 in the Front Range this weekend. I'd suggest a nice game of golf or a bike ride.post #22 of 4610/13/11 at 7:14pmpost #23 of 4610/13/11 at 7:42pmpost #24 of 4610/14/11 at 6:14am
Opening day only offered one open run for skiing. Called the White Ribbon Of Death (WROD). The conditions on this run are packed powder mixed with plenty of man made snow. Base depth of 18" makes for good groomed conditions without rocks or stumps poking through. You do not have to worry about bringing new skis to the WROD. Caution needs to be exercised later when additional runs are opened with limited snow coverage. Enjoy your season.post #25 of 4610/14/11 at 10:22amQuote:Originally Posted by JMD
Opening day only offered one open run for skiing. Called the White Ribbon Of Death (WROD). The conditions on this run are packed powder mixed with plenty of man made snow. Base depth of 18" makes for good groomed conditions without rocks or stumps poking through. You do not have to worry about bringing new skis to the WROD. Caution needs to be exercised later when additional runs are opened with limited snow coverage. Enjoy your season.
Hey, that's just like skiing in the midwest!post #26 of 4610/14/11 at 10:33amYup, and longer than anything like that in MI.
My new snow tires came in and I had a Thursday afternoon commitment, so I couldn't hit opening day. Today is my "physical fitness" test for working at Breck, so I couldn't go. I don't like to go to A-Basin on weekends, so my opening day visit will be next week.post #27 of 4610/14/11 at 10:34ampost #28 of 4610/14/11 at 10:49ampost #29 of 4610/14/11 at 11:16ampost #30 of 4610/14/11 at 7:04pmQuote:
Ah, the secret: we skied 9:15-11ish (when it started getting scary), spent a couple hours partaking in food and drink, and then when we went back out, it was waaaay less crowded and the snow was soft and we skied until 3:30. Much better in the afternoon. :-)
- Abasin Opening Day - Oct 2011
- Arapahoe Basin, CO - A Pictorial
- › Ski Rack: Top of Vehicle with 6-8 Skis? 3 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 10 minutes ago
- › How do I know if my ski binding position is in the proper place for... 36 minutes ago
- › Basic entry level poles? 52 minutes ago
- › "The only people who want to carve any more..." 58 minutes ago
- › Edges and Bases. Where to start ? This is 'approximatley'... 1 hour ago
- › Two new lifts at Powder Mountain? 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 1 hour, 15 minutes ago
- › Sun Peaks BC, 2016/17 Season 1 hour, 45 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer