EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ask the Boot Guys › Pain low down in back of calf
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pain low down in back of calf

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Hi.

 

I have recently started using Salomon Mission 8 Boots. Sold and fitted by a knowledgeable person.

 

I have an issue with pain in the lower calf on one leg only. What I cannot work out, is whether it's being caused by my large low calf or by the boot having too much fwd lean (My boot fitter thinks probably the fwd lean, but we have to modify the boot permanently in that case so I am being extra cautious here). Or by something else entirely of course. There is a piece of plastic at the top of the back of the boot. Not obviously digging in but I think there was an improvement when I reversed it top to bottom. (leg pretty sore by then) Next move would be to remove it now that I have my tools are, but ski days are running out fast here so am likely to not be able to try it out.

 

Any ideas out there?

 

Much Obliged...

post #2 of 14

remove it and try skiing without it.   If it is the wrong answer, can you just screw it back in place?

 

also try a small hell lift  and see how that feels

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 

Thanks yes I can remove it and replace safely

.

And I will try the heel lift

 

Cheers

 

 

post #4 of 14

Don't try both at the same time or you won't learn what fixed it.  Also if the problem is not forward lean the preferred treatment is probably removal of the spoiler.

 

Lou

post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 

Thank you Lou

 

I will try removal of the spoiler first.

 

Cheers

 

 

post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 

Been thinking about this some more after removing the spoiler and not seeing much improvement. One way to alleviate the problem is to loosen the boots slightly more than I would normally like. This might be allowing my heel to lift slightly? That makes me suspect that my leg is not used to flexing forward so much at the ankle. I guess a heel lift is the next thing to try...

 

Cheers

 

 

 

 

post #7 of 14

Sometimes we must learn to flex our ankles to match the boots forward lean and even begin resting the shin against the tongue of the boots.  I find that sometimes people fight the boots and try to stand erect which is wrong.  This will cause the kind of discomfort you describe.  Can not tell if this is your isse but food for thought...

 

bud

post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud heishman View Post

Sometimes we must learn to flex our ankles to match the boots forward lean and even begin resting the shin against the tongue of the boots.  I find that sometimes people fight the boots and try to stand erect which is wrong.  This will cause the kind of discomfort you describe.  Can not tell if this is your isse but food for thought...

 

bud


Good point - Thanks. Even if it isn't, I am pretty sure that flexing my ankle more will lead to technique and overall skiing improvement. So I will try to rest my shins against the tongue as you say before I try the heel lift. We are planning a trip to Whistler in April and might try to take a heel lift with me. Are they sold as a consumable or is custom build/fit required?

 

Cheers

 


 

 

post #9 of 14

Back problems can also be caused by a tight calf muscles. I find 80% of all folks have a tight calf which will cause a back problem. U should do a lot of calf stretches. Try this...sit on the floor with your back against a wall. Now extend your leg out straight with your foot at a 90' angle to the floor. Can you lock your knee (extend your leg straight)? If no, your very tight. If yes try this, if your can't DONT TRY THIS ..... with your knee locked (and your back firmly against the wall...no cheating) can you dorsiflex your forefoot (bring the front of the foot toward your shin). only can bring it to 90"? then you are to tight..but not super tight. There's more, this is what we teach at Masterfit University and what most Masterboot fitters from America's best Boot fitters know.

 

 

Jeffrey Rich C. Ped
http://www.usorthoticcenter.com

post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 

Thanks. Tried the exercise. Tight to super tight.
 

What is a good stretch for skiing? Used to do the one with foot planted on the ground, then lean fwd against a wall or power pole or whatever. Any others?

 

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbalance View Post

Back problems can also be caused by a tight calf muscles. I find 80% of all folks have a tight calf which will cause a back problem. U should do a lot of calf stretches. Try this...sit on the floor with your back against a wall. Now extend your leg out straight with your foot at a 90' angle to the floor. Can you lock your knee (extend your leg straight)? If no, your very tight. If yes try this, if your can't DONT TRY THIS ..... with your knee locked (and your back firmly against the wall...no cheating) can you dorsiflex your forefoot (bring the front of the foot toward your shin). only can bring it to 90"? then you are to tight..but not super tight. There's more, this is what we teach at Masterfit University and what most Masterboot fitters from America's best Boot fitters know.

 

 

Jeffrey Rich C. Ped
http://www.usorthoticcenter.com



 

post #11 of 14

Heel lifts: you could purchase a pair at any ski shop and slip them in yourself but, they will tend to migrate forward on you.  This is where a ski shop will glue them to the boot board and sand the edges to match the profile of the boot board.  So I would suggest experimenting on your own but if they do solve your issues, have them permanently affixed and finished.

 

Stretches:  

Straight leg stretch - lean against wall with hands and straighten your back leg and flex the forward leg moving in toward the wall to stretch the back leg keeping heel on the floor.

bent leg stretch - lean against the wall the same as above only this time bend the back leg keeping the heel firmly on the ground and stretch gently for 20-30 seconds at a time.

 

...and Baldrick, I am sorry but you are going to have to stop wearing those stiletto heels!biggrin.gif

post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 

Thanks for all that Bud I am going to get organised and take heel lifts with me when we visit Whistler in April
 

Re: Stilettos - Does that mean I have to lose the mini skirt too? Damn...

 

Mind you it does get cold skiing in a mini skirt - Hot pants are safer.

 

Have a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud heishman View Post

Heel lifts: you could purchase a pair at any ski shop and slip them in yourself but, they will tend to migrate forward on you.  This is where a ski shop will glue them to the boot board and sand the edges to match the profile of the boot board.  So I would suggest experimenting on your own but if they do solve your issues, have them permanently affixed and finished.

 

Stretches:  

Straight leg stretch - lean against wall with hands and straighten your back leg and flex the forward leg moving in toward the wall to stretch the back leg keeping heel on the floor.

bent leg stretch - lean against the wall the same as above only this time bend the back leg keeping the heel firmly on the ground and stretch gently for 20-30 seconds at a time.

 

...and Baldrick, I am sorry but you are going to have to stop wearing those stiletto heels!biggrin.gif



 

post #13 of 14

My fav's in order are...

 

Slant Board u can make one or buy one.

Pro Stretch sold at most sporting goods stores.

 

The following exercises are free:

Runners wall stretch straight leg...make sure u keep your heel down.

 

Stair drops- stand on the back of a stair (like your going to do a back dive) and drop down. Its not the up. that will only make you tighter

 

Belt, rope or a band stretch.- sitting down in a chair or on the floor with your back straight. Place the rope over and around the ball of your foot and pull on both ends of the rope.

 

 

Jeffrey Rich C. Ped
http://www.usorthoticcenter.com

post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbalance View Post

My fav's in order are...

 

Slant Board u can make one or buy one.

Pro Stretch sold at most sporting goods stores.

 

The following exercises are free:

Runners wall stretch straight leg...make sure u keep your heel down.

 

Stair drops- stand on the back of a stair (like your going to do a back dive) and drop down. Its not the up. that will only make you tighter

 

Belt, rope or a band stretch.- sitting down in a chair or on the floor with your back straight. Place the rope over and around the ball of your foot and pull on both ends of the rope.

 

 

Jeffrey Rich C. Ped
http://www.usorthoticcenter.com




Thanks for that

 

And have a good season

 

Cheers

 

Baldrick

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ask the Boot Guys
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ask the Boot Guys › Pain low down in back of calf