or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › 2011/12 Tahoe Weather & General Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2011/12 Tahoe Weather & General Discussion - Page 4

post #91 of 554

^^^^^Well, I guess a snow shower is better than nuthin, but I am anxiously waiting for that first major "Winter Storm Warning" that signals a few feet plus are on the way. I love those 10 foot dumps in late December.  Hopefully Ullr will deliver this year.

post #92 of 554

Gnarthstar opened up Burnout on Friday, but heard it got skied out pretty quickly. I scoped it out and passed on it as the folks schussing down were making very abrasive sounds (even those skidding their turns), mostly due to the group I was skiing with (they weren't quite ready to rail TBP).

 

Conversely, I've been finding some nice off-piste features and some hidden shots of sweet cord (at least on Friday), so that's been keeping me quite content (and stoked the group I was skiing with immensely). 

 

post #93 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post

Gnarthstar opened up Burnout on Friday, but heard it got skied out pretty quickly. I scoped it out and passed on it as the folks schussing down were making very abrasive sounds (even those skidding their turns), mostly due to the group I was skiing with (they weren't quite ready to rail TBP).

 

Conversely, I've been finding some nice off-piste features and some hidden shots of sweet cord (at least on Friday), so that's been keeping me quite content (and stoked the group I was skiing with immensely). 

 


Things at Northstar have been quite exciting

391135_10150510991971138_540901137_11185015_1583909822_n.jpg

 

post #94 of 554

Getting pretty pessimistic about my hopes of seeing much open at Northstar or Heavenly for my trip coming up Dec 21-26. This is our first ever trip over Christmas and we were super excited about getting in 4 days of skiing but its starting to look like this lack of snow isn't going to come to an end soon enough. How crowded can we expect the slopes to be around this time and are there still some pretty good length runs open or really pretty barebone minimum?

post #95 of 554

Homanga,

Welcome to EpicSki!

 

I have friends visiting from Michigan this week, who were obviously hoping for a repeat of conditions that they had a year ago.  They are still having fun and finding more good snow than they'd thought.  Hopefully, we'll get some fresh before your trip.

 

post #96 of 554

I'm not worried, it will snow....i can feel it. Can't you just feel it?

 

Sooooo i've visited Tahoe twice, once for spring skiing, once for summer fun. I'm getting in the car and driving out (from nh) on Saturday. I've got a place to live and 5 months to do nothing but ski. I've done this all before in Utah and then Colorado. Time for something new and Tahoe is it. I can feel it!!!!!

post #97 of 554

I look forward to meeting up with you Snowseek!  

Welcome to Tahoe and EpicSki!

 

post #98 of 554

I'll be making a few turns at Northstar tomorrow.  It looks like a hint of some snow possibly coming down according to The Weather Channel website.  I finally get to start the process of breaking in a pair of new boots and footbeds.

 

Dennis

post #99 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by homanga View Post

Getting pretty pessimistic about my hopes of seeing much open at Northstar or Heavenly for my trip coming up Dec 21-26.

Long range forecast until the 21st is looking pretty dry, so let's all hope for the mega dump we often get around Christmas.  Hope some snow comes for you, but this season sure isn't like last year so far, but more like the typical 300" year.
 

 

post #100 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny1969 View Post

I'll be making a few turns at Northstar tomorrow.  It looks like a hint of some snow possibly coming down according to The Weather Channel website.  I finally get to start the process of breaking in a pair of new boots and footbeds.

 

Dennis



There will be a crew of 
Philpug

Trekchick

Fairtamiddlin

C Kuck

and two friends from the midwest.

A few of us will look like this, 

388015_10150513647016138_540901137_11194000_1042404493_n.jpg

 

Or This

392808_10150506210621138_540901137_11167981_1310929638_n.jpg

 

Or this

389403_10150498537566138_540901137_11147416_45358390_n.jpg

 

Or this.....(we all looked a lot more like trees this day)

377973_10150510991876138_540901137_11185013_1150976827_n.jpg

post #101 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2 ski View Post
 but this season sure isn't like last year so far, but more like the typical 300" year.

 

 



You are correct it isn't like last year, because last year was the exception, rather then the rule. Calm down people it will snow. '97-'98 and '07-'08 come to mind, while we had more snow on the ground then, it wasn't a lot more then now. La Nina is strengthening in the Pacific and this isn't a dreaded Rex block set up, those are really bad. Need we recall the 6 week dry spell last year, right in the middle of winter, rather then the beginning. Long range geeks from a variety of sources are still calling for 100-105% of normal. 

 

This is a marathon not a sprint. Now am I starting to twitch, dying to ski something other then man made crap, oh yeah. 

post #102 of 554

http://tahoeweatherdiscussion.com/

 

Not looking super good right now, but that's not uncommon, and once it starts dumping, there should be no end in sight ;-)

post #103 of 554
Thread Starter 

At this point let's just be glad that Northstar has some pretty amazing snow making equipment, otherwise we'd really be bitching.  Just relax, it'll snow.  Hopefully a little on Thursday at least.  Planning to head to Northstar that day or maybe Friday, and following the spirit of TC's post, I'll look like this:

 

390659_10150494342178487_661548486_10576706_1773934194_n.jpg

post #104 of 554

I'm sorry, but that stupid bug in the lower right corner makes all of you look like tourons.

post #105 of 554

Wow, trying to recognize Phil or TC by their outfits (or by their skis!) is futile...

post #106 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post

Wow, trying to recognize Phil or TC by their outfits (or by their skis!) is futile...



But that hand/pole motion is unmistakable.

post #107 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post

At this point let's just be glad that Northstar has some pretty amazing snow making equipment, otherwise we'd really be bitching.



It would be a bit funny if peeps started pulling out their old hypercarvers.

post #108 of 554
Thread Starter 

Bug?  You mean the watermark?

 

Going to have to classify that as get over it.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDad View Post

I'm sorry, but that stupid bug in the lower right corner makes all of you look like tourons.



 

post #109 of 554

It's too bad the term 'power user' has dropped out of the lexicon; I was going to coin power-tourons.

post #110 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDad View Post

I'm sorry, but that stupid bug in the lower right corner makes all of you look like tourons.



You said it, I didn't. 

post #111 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ske-Bum View Post



You said it, I didn't. 


+1.

 

post #112 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post

Bug?  You mean the watermark?

 

Going to have to classify that as get over it.


No, I mean a bug.  A watermark is faint text or image superimposed over a substantial portion of a picture or page, intended to mark its origin subtly.  A bug is a small but distinctive graphical element, typically used repetitively.

 

Although in this case, it could also be used in the comp. sci. sense, as in, an error.

post #113 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDad View Post

I'm sorry, but that stupid bug in the lower right corner makes all of you look like tourons.


This coming from a Weekend Warrior, no less...

 

 

:p

 

post #114 of 554

Hey -- it takes one to know one.

post #115 of 554

Seriously, you look at that pic and see the bug while most people see snow, sunshine and big grins.

 

Can't change my smile.  Nope.....not gonna happen!biggrin.gif

 

 

 

post #116 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

Seriously, you look at that pic and see the bug while most people see snow, sunshine and big grins.

 

Can't change my smile.  Nope.....not gonna happen!biggrin.gif

 

 

 


I see snow, sunshine, big grins, and some very nice looking DNA jackets ;)

 

Now, to the topic of lack of snow. It POURED in Los Angeles today and the local mountains got a good foot. But Mammoth and points north got maybe an inch? :( We have a condo booked in Mammoth for a week in late January and we would like some snow!

 

post #117 of 554

What is this "EpicMix" that all these pics have in common.  I have the Locals pass but have not done anything with EpicMix. 

post #118 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post

What is this "EpicMix" that all these pics have in common.  I have the Locals pass but have not done anything with EpicMix. 



You can go here to access your page, after you set up your account with your pass #

https://www.epicmix.com/welcome.aspx?view=login

When we logged in, we found all the stats from when we skied in Colorado and at Heavenly last year as well.

 

 

post #119 of 554
Thread Starter 

Here's my take on Epic Mix...

 

Pins = lame

 

Tracking lifts and vertical = pretty cool

 

Photos = interesting, let's hope they work action shots into the mix (and I don't mean at the park)

post #120 of 554

Hey, Tahoe people, FWIW I thought I'd report what's going on the PNW:

 

See above posts.

 

We've had the same conditions: a bunch of snow just before Thanksgiving and nothing since.  The high pressure system reached the highest recorded barometric pressure ever in this area early in the month. 

 

Stevens Pass has had a 39" base for 3 weeks.  The good news is that it has been cold enough that none of it has melted, and it's base is 4000'.  The other good news is they opened up the back side (although have since closed some of the terrair on the backside as well as 7th Heaven).

 

I have been able to ski 4 times so far.    Since most of the mountain is open, there hasn't been too much of a congestion problem or WROD's.  Groomers are nice and groomy.  Night skiing begins this weekend and will be open every night except Tues-Weds.

 

And, we had little snowflakes throught the day on Sunday.  We're supposed to start getting more of those things Wednesday and Thursday.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › 2011/12 Tahoe Weather & General Discussion