New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alyeska

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Found out I have to go to a meeting in Anchorage, Alaska in early December. I am going to tack on a day or two to hit Alyeska. Any other nearby areas I should hit, or any other cool activities in the area?

post #2 of 14

How many hours of daylight are there at that time of year?

post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestPete View Post

Found out I have to go to a meeting in Anchorage, Alaska in early December. I am going to tack on a day or two to hit Alyeska. Any other nearby areas I should hit, or any other cool activities in the area?


  Dude, it's AK, the whole state is one big outdoor playground!

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by prickly View Post

How many hours of daylight are there at that time of year?


Not many, but they have lights.   The don't open till 10am, which always kills me, because I get up early.

 

post #4 of 14

If you're already going to be there... shoot for at least 1 day of heli or cat skiing.

post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post


Not many, but they have lights.   The don't open till 10am, which always kills me, because I get up early.

 



I'm just glad my meeting was changed to Anchorage -- it was originally supposed to be in Barrow, Alaska (flat and basically at the North Pole).

 

I think eventually I will need to go to Barrow which is still kind of cool -- good spot to see Polar Bears and Whales.

post #6 of 14

Pete, you will have skiing hours of 10AM to 3:00 maybe 3:30.  Other places you should see there:  the bore tide running in Turnagain arm (that is the body of water you drive along from town to Alyeska, it can be so big people surf it). Portage Glacier past Alyeska about 15 miles up the same body of water at the head of the fjord.  

 

In town with your art background, go to the Anchorage Native Art Museum, some really classic stuff.  Drive up to Arctic Valley Ski Area, the road is out by Fort Richardson, if the weather is good great view over town and looking North & West.  Drive around Lake Hood out by Anchorage International Airport was and probablly still is the largest float plane airport in the world (cooler than it sounds).  If it is still there go to Chilkoot Charlies where I misspent a lot of my youth (there was a time where they would check you for weapons, if you didn't have one they would lend you one).  

 

Go to Wasilla and visit Sarah Palin?  roflmao.gif

post #7 of 14

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestPete View Post

I'm just glad my meeting was changed to Anchorage -- it was originally supposed to be in Barrow, Alaska (flat and basically at the North Pole).

 

I think eventually I will need to go to Barrow which is still kind of cool -- good spot to see Polar Bears and Whales.


Wow.  Barrow has it's moments, sort of, but mid-December certainly isn't one of them.  You should be damn glad the meeting got moved - there's like barely a moment of daylight that time of year.  FWIW the polar bear and whales seasons aren't concurrent.  Think pack ice.  I'm curious about what line of work you're in - fed?  

 

As far as other activities, with so much darkness that time of year, the Great Alaskan Bush Company in Anchorage gets a certain amount of visitor traffic.  Google it if you're not familiar - NSFW.  

post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee View Post

 


Wow.  Barrow has it's moments, sort of, but mid-December certainly isn't one of them.  You should be damn glad the meeting got moved - there's like barely a moment of daylight that time of year.  FWIW the polar bear and whales seasons aren't concurrent.  Think pack ice.  I'm curious about what line of work you're in - fed?  

 

As far as other activities, with so much darkness that time of year, the Great Alaskan Bush Company in Anchorage gets a certain amount of visitor traffic.  Google it if you're not familiar - NSFW.  

The a/e company I work for designed a new hospital in Barrow. Pretty interesting -- it has to be up on stilts so as not to melt the permafrost, and also to let the wind/snow just blow through.
 

 

post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

Pete, you will have skiing hours of 10AM to 3:00 maybe 3:30.  Other places you should see there:  the bore tide running in Turnagain arm (that is the body of water you drive along from town to Alyeska, it can be so big people surf it). Portage Glacier past Alyeska about 15 miles up the same body of water at the head of the fjord.  

 

In town with your art background, go to the Anchorage Native Art Museum, some really classic stuff.  Drive up to Arctic Valley Ski Area, the road is out by Fort Richardson, if the weather is good great view over town and looking North & West.  Drive around Lake Hood out by Anchorage International Airport was and probablly still is the largest float plane airport in the world (cooler than it sounds).  If it is still there go to Chilkoot Charlies where I misspent a lot of my youth (there was a time where they would check you for weapons, if you didn't have one they would lend you one).  

 

Go to Wasilla and visit Sarah Palin?  roflmao.gif

Thanks - sounds like a lot of cool things to do! I usually try to get out of traveling at work but this was too good to pass up.
 

 

post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 

http://koots.com/

 

Looks like Chilkoot Charlies is still there.

post #11 of 14


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestPete View Post

http://koots.com/

 

Looks like Chilkoot Charlies is still there.

Holy snit!

 

 Look what they did to my bar.  My day in there was 70-75, THEN you were fined for not tossing the peanut shells on the floor.  I rarely bought a beer there courtesy of the Foosball table.  Many  a summer night we would pour out there and head for Seward and go salmon fishing off a 20 boat, or something else equally ludicrous.  By the way, Chiclets was just down the street from The Alaska Bush Co., very convenient.
 

 

post #12 of 14

December is still early for our snow typically - but it all depends on whether we get a big high pressure with minus-15 temps & no moisture or warmer fog/clouds that drops snow but you can't see.  If we get one of those super-clear high pressure systems and skiing conditions are no good it can be worth heading north to see Denali or even just head into Hatcher Pass for scenery or XC skiing.

 

Arctic Valley is a non-profit ski area just north of town that only opens on weekends.  Odds are it will not be open that early in the year, but you never know.  It's a good quick run to go hike for some turns as well.  If you've got backcountry gear, and can spare a day, you have a ton of oppurtunities both near and far (Arctic/Eagle River/Peak 3 in Anchorage, Turnagain or Hatcher Pass further away).

 

That time of year Alyeska will have night skiing (& they turn the lights on in the early afternoon too).  The big plus is you never have to wake up early to get there for a powder day.  

 

IMPORTANT AT THAT TIME OF YEAR: Make sure you bring 3 different lenses for your goggles - "Standard" for if there is actually a sun,something in the 85%+ VLT range for our SUPER-flat light, plus a clear lens for when the flat-lens still won't cut it.  You'll thank me later - the flat light is like nothing else you'll ever experience, plus you'll probably be skiing in the clouds if its snowing.

 

 

 

 

post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 

Thanks - I am looking forward to it!

 

I checked out Arctic Valley's web site. It's pretty funky - I love it.

post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 

Meeting postponed until Jan.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home