I would like to buy a pair of the Atomic D2 GS non-fis skis in either a 174 or 179 and looking for someone to persuade me one way or another. I don't have the opportunity to demo them. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
1. 5'10, 150lb, 28yo, male
2. Usually ski in Jersey, New York, Vermont. These skis might go with me to some mountains out west, but would only be used on groomers.
3. I'm looking to use these for nastar racing, maybe some beer league, but in general I just like ripping turns and am looking for a turn radius wider than my slalom skis. I usually ski aggressively down the mountain (SL or GS turns all the way down) and can carve cleanly. I usually ski faster than most people on the mountain.
4. I intend to buy a quiver...currently have 2 pairs of slalom skis, getting rid of 1 in order to get this pair of GS skis and will follow it up with powder skis when the time comes.
5. I'm an advanced/expert skier with the equipment I have now. I'm sure using GS skis requires different
6. I currently use Nordica Doberman wc slr's in 165. I love them. I've tried an older pair of Nordica Doberman WC GSR's in 176 (I think they were 21 or 23m) and I've tried Fischer wc RC4 in 175. I remember the Nordica as impossible for me to turn and got rid of it the following year. The Fischers were somewhat better but still had that feeling of 2x4's and not enough flex in the ski for my weight. I know D2 is completely different because of the double deck allowing for more of a progressively stiffer flex, so I guess my concerns at this point are:
a. The 179, given it's length, would be too stiff like some of the other skis I've tried.
b. The 174 would be too short and wash out for me.