EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Looking for a new daily driver
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a new daily driver

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

About me...5'10" 240 lbs.  I've been skiing for 20 years and average about 35 or 40 days on snow a year.  I consider myself to be a good skier and typically ski pretty aggressively.  I've skis all sorts of skis over the years from slalom race skis to huge power skis and just about everything in between.

 

I am thinking about picking up a new "daily driver" to compliment my DPS Wailer 112RP's.  Last year I skied Icelantic Pilgrims which skis decent.  I loved that they were fairly light weight and the side cut was just right.  However they are lacking in terms of hard snow grip.  I also skied a pair of Sultan 85's and I did like those a whole lot but after being on the pilgrims they just seem like tanks.  So I guess what I am looking for is something light weight, 90-95mm at the waist, with a turn radius under 20m, and offers good hard snow edge grip without being overly demanding.  A lot of the specs are available all over the web but weight is not usually advertised.  So are there any suggestions on where to start?

post #2 of 19

Fischer Watea's are on the light-ish side.  

 

Magnum 8.7 is a bit narrower than your 90-95 range.

but it will rip on the frontside and hold its own in 3d snow.

 

Line Prophet P90 is another choice.

 

Do you want a hard snow ski that does OK in moderate powder?

Or more of a soft snow ski that does OK on hard pack?

post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 

Hard snow performance would be more important than the way the perform in powder since I have the wailer 112RP's.  The Prophet 90 did grab my attention.  I had a pair of Watea 84's a few yeas ago and they skied great but their edge grip got a little funny when you got lazy or tired. 

post #4 of 19

Blizzard Bushwacker are ridiculously fun all over the mountain and they are so good on hard snow there is no reason to buy Blizzard's hard snow skis unless you are going for a 4+ ski quiver

post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreu1026 View Post

About me...5'10" 240 lbs.  I've been skiing for 20 years and average about 35 or 40 days on snow a year.  I consider myself to be a good skier and typically ski pretty aggressively.  I've skis all sorts of skis over the years from slalom race skis to huge power skis and just about everything in between.

 

I am thinking about picking up a new "daily driver" to compliment my DPS Wailer 112RP's.  Last year I skied Icelantic Pilgrims which skis decent.  I loved that they were fairly light weight and the side cut was just right.  However they are lacking in terms of hard snow grip.  I also skied a pair of Sultan 85's and I did like those a whole lot but after being on the pilgrims they just seem like tanks.  So I guess what I am looking for is something light weight, 90-95mm at the waist, with a turn radius under 20m, and offers good hard snow edge grip without being overly demanding.  A lot of the specs are available all over the web but weight is not usually advertised.  So are there any suggestions on where to start?

 

Surprised to read your impression of the sultan. I think of them forgiving, user friendly skis that split the difference between soft snow and firm. Do OK on hard pack but by no means do they have superior grip.

 

If you find something that is is lighter and less tank like than the sultan but that has significantly better hard snow grip and still does well in soft stuff, shoot me a PM.

post #6 of 19
Thread Starter 

I do think the Sultans ski pretty well on hard pack and while its not great at any one thing it is an extremely well rounded ski.  Part of me just wants to "upgrade" to the Sultan 94 but am curious about what else is out there. Locally you don't find much variety.  The 4 or 5 ski shops in the region all seem to stock the same things...Volkl, K2, Rossignol, and Nordica all with the heavy integrated bindings.

post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 

So the Line Prophet 90 and Prophet Flight seem appealing to me.  I know the P90 is good but what about the Flight?

post #8 of 19

I am in roughly the same boat, and chose 188 Kastle MX88s to complement the 112RPs.

post #9 of 19

I put 4 days on the Sultan 85's in a 184 last year.  Rippin' ski but I would also call them a bit 'tank-like' in that length.  First couple of days were great on snow ranging from hard to funky.  Very fast & very stable.  Not great on really hard snow & more work than I wanted in big tight hard bumps.  However w/ binding mount @ the boot sole mark, always felt too far forward on the ski.  Might be the relatively high ramp angle on bindings &/or boots, but had to try hard to stay centered to even heel pressured to get the tails to finish.  Then came a deep snow day.  IMO these are not a good ski for anything over about 12".  Too stiff for anything but gs blasting, and went twice over the handlebars.  Might have been pilot error, but have been skiing powder seemingly ok for decades.

 

The 85's might have been better in some aspects for me in a 178 except for the soft snow issues.  Exchanged them for Sultan 94's in 178.  MUCH better fit for me.  A smidge softer, much better float.  Interestingly, better bite too.  Nimble, a soft snow/tight trees/bumps slayer, rock solid @ speed in crud, and solid enough @ speed on hardpack. The boot midsole mark is located farther back on the ski vs. the 84, I think because the sidecut at the tip starts back farther.  The mid mark on the 94's lets me ski ball-of-foot to centered and still keep the turn finish intact better than on the 85's.

 

So cstreu, I wouldn't shy away from the Sultan 94's because you were luke warm on the 85's.  I find the 94's to be just right for me in all conditions experienced so far and those conditions vary widely.

 

Mine are the black '11 model.  Hardly perceptible tip rise with loads of camber.  I've checked out the '12 on the rack; haven't skied it. Seems like pretty weird tip rocker thing going on though.  Slowly close the bases together and they close, close, close, boink!  Oh.  There's the rocker.  Instead of a smooth gradual upturn, there seems to be a distinct bend or hinge point about 15" back.  I can't see how this would be a good thing.  You might look for a deal on last year's black ones, since they already turn & float great w/out the rocker.

 

Me?  5'10", 190 lbs., 55 yrs., skiing for 40,  strong but infrequent all-mountain skier.

 

Hope this helps.

post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 

I am kind of leaning towards the Line P90.  I think a shop down the street from work carries them so I can going to stop by to check them out in person.

post #11 of 19

Oddly I have been doing some research for the same type of ski you are. I am 5'10, 200lbs, have the Sultan 85's in a 178 as my hard snow ski. I like the 85's for doing tight turns and in bumps, but for days when everything is very firm, as it hasn't snowed for awhile and I want to open it up and do big GS type turns, I have been using some 184 Mythic Riders.  They are still great skis, but this would be my third season on them, so it is time to try something elserolleyes.gif  The Blizzards while well reviewed and more readily available aren't doing it for me.  I have had a few pairs of skis made by Movement in the past and always loved them, so for what we are looking for, I have decided on a pair of 185 Movement Source skis. They are tough to get in the US this year, but I have a connection in Canada.  Check em out and see what you think.  http://movementskis.ch/   And a good review:  http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/Ski-Tests-2010-/-2011/Movement-Source-Review-2012

post #12 of 19

You ought to try to ski the Salomon Enduro XT 850's.   They're my all-mountain ski, complemented by a 105-wide ski for soft snow days.   But if you really want a wider daily driver, I found the Salomon Sentinnel to be more of a GS carving all-mountain (with excellent edge grip) ski than the turnier Enduros.

 

http://www.epicski.com/products/salomon-xt-850-enduro-ski/reviews/2099

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/102886/demo-day-briefs-50-50-skis-84-to-88mm-wide#post_1327079

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________

How well you are able to ski is related to how hard you are willing to fall.

post #13 of 19

I'm going to throw a different one out there.  Sali Sentinal.  I absolutely loved this ski. Think Mantra but lighter and slightly softer but rails on the groomed and it i killed in the slackcountry of Alpine Meadows in chalkly steeps and bumped out stuff. Slight early rise tip flat tail. very nice feel to this ski.http://www.epicski.com/t/101805/updated-salomon-sentinel-177-sleeper-ski-of-the-season 

 

if this one doesn't appeal, the Blizz 8.7 should be on the list along with a Kastle MX88

 

so in order for hard snow grip but easy to ski

 

Kastle MX88

Blizz 8.7

Sentinel 

 

EDIT: had sentinel ahead of the blizz, I think its more fun than the blizz but not better on hardback for edge hold. 


Edited by Finndog - 9/24/11 at 4:01am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post

 

If you find something that is is lighter and less tank like than the sultan but that has significantly better hard snow grip and still does well in soft stuff, shoot me a PM.


See my above postwink.gif

post #15 of 19


I posted at the same time glad we agree!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crudmaster View Post

You ought to try to ski the Salomon Enduro XT 850's.   They're my all-mountain ski, complemented by a 105-wide ski for soft snow days.   But if you really want a wider daily driver, I found the Salomon Sentinnel to be more of a GS carving all-mountain (with excellent edge grip) ski than the turnier Enduros.

 

http://www.epicski.com/products/salomon-xt-850-enduro-ski/reviews/2099

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/102886/demo-day-briefs-50-50-skis-84-to-88mm-wide#post_1327079

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________

How well you are able to ski is related to how hard you are willing to fall.



 

post #16 of 19
Thread Starter 

I had thought about the Sentinel.  I know Philpug liked them and we seem to have similar taste in skis.

post #17 of 19

Id sale you some used 174cm 8.7 for 300 shipped......

 

with that said my bushwacker made them obsolete for me... for you in ohio you might like them.

post #18 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

Id sale you some used 174cm 8.7 for 300 shipped......

 

with that said my bushwacker made them obsolete for me... for you in ohio you might like them.



$300...that's definitely worth considering.  Got any pictures?

post #19 of 19
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Looking for a new daily driver