or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Compare watea 94 to bonafide and cochise please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Compare watea 94 to bonafide and cochise please

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

I ski in Colorado and can only get up about 20 times/season (I know, it sucks baaad).  Therefore a one-ski quiver makes sense for me.  I've been skiing some watea 94's and love them.  However, I've been attracted to what I've seen said about the bonafide/cochise.

 

Is there anyone who has skied the fishers and the blizzards and can compare??

 

The watea is so fun in the soft snow and gives me plenty of float in 12" to knee/thigh-deep (I don't mind being a little under the snow, not floating at the top)  The only times the watea has left me wanting more is if I'm not skiing a powder day and there's some hard pack to navigate and also, there are times where I'm wanting a bigger mountain/wider ski trying to scrub speed or cut through crud on a steep bowl.

 

Sounds like the Bonafide might be my answer but what about the cochise?

post #2 of 15

I like the Watea 94, it is a fun ski. Personally, I wouldn't replace the 94 with the Bonafide..unless you wanted a new ski, I would suggest something bigger to go with the Watea, maybe a Coshise or even a softer big ski. 

post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 

The wateas will become my rock ski/early season A Basin ski, so yes this is pretty much my new one ski quiver.  Can't they make a 102mm wide bonachise?

post #4 of 15

I've been skiing the watea 94 as my skinny ski for the past few years, and I got a chance to do a fairly quick demo (only 3-4 runs) on the bonafide this past spring.  IMO, the bone is a noticeably more serious ski, definitely damper and beefier.  If you really like the watea a lot, then I would think the bone *might* not be your style.  That's not guaranteed obviously, but they really aren't that similar in terms of feel, IMO, so I'd make sure you demo before pulling the trigger.

post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaobrien6 View Post

I've been skiing the watea 94 as my skinny ski for the past few years, and I got a chance to do a fairly quick demo (only 3-4 runs) on the bonafide this past spring.  IMO, the bone is a noticeably more serious ski, definitely damper and beefier.  If you really like the watea a lot, then I would think the bone *might* not be your style.  That's not guaranteed obviously, but they really aren't that similar in terms of feel, IMO, so I'd make sure you demo before pulling the trigger.

I agree with you here. The Watea 94 and Bonafide ARE two different feeling skis, if he likes the Watea 94, he will love the Rossi Experience 98, The E98 has a bigger beefier Watea 94 feel. Both have that big front side bias yet are still fun in the crud. 
 

 

post #6 of 15

just an observation: he loves the 94 but how many other skis has he tried to see if maybe he loves them more? I just think that when you are on the skis 20 days a season; you may not really know what you like; you may think you know. I am not raggin' here just trying to be helpful. I would suggest you get over to the demo day coming up this fall/winter and get on a few skis that are of interest that may seem to be too fat or too stiff or too soft.. I think you get the idea. From there you will know a little better about where you want to go. I am biased in that I think that anyone with decent skills will love the Bonafide or the cochise. I think if you wanted just a bit more float, the Bone will serve that purpose, the difference here is not the 4mm, its the construction and profile.

post #7 of 15

I think the flipcores from blizzard would outperform the wateas **in bad snow**,

being beefier in construction.(and correspondingly at mach speeds)

 

so i would consider your skiing habits, ie what type of terrain

 do you ski if it hasnt snowed in awhile?

 

The blizzards dont get their highest marks in floatation so consider that as well.

 

Lastly you may find the blizzards a bit more demanding

 

 

 

 

post #8 of 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

just an observation: he loves the 94 but how many other skis has he tried to see if maybe he loves them more? 

 

No, that's a very valid point, especially since we don't know what else (if anything) he may have demo'd before picking the watea's.  And I'm not suggesting he doesn't try the bonafide, definitely not, just that he probably should demo rather than just pulling the trigger.

post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post



I agree with you here. The Watea 94 and Bonafide ARE two different feeling skis, if he likes the Watea 94, he will love the Rossi Experience 98, The E98 has a bigger beefier Watea 94 feel. Both have that big front side bias yet are still fun in the crud. 
 

 Same story with a Watea 101...wider, beefier, but with a similar feel.  Big brother to the Watea 94, same construction...just more of it.  IMO the 101 is smoother and more damp at higher speeds on the frontside than the 94...but not so stiff and burly that it'll beat the crap out of most mere mortals in bumps and trees.  Two sheets of metal in skis over 100mm = BURLY



 

post #10 of 15


No worries, I just wanted to point that out coming from experience..... I used to and still do "love" my last pair of skis.......  and then find another new love..... 

 

quick comment to docbrad: don't know if you have had your bones in powder but they float my boney ass just fine; especially for 98. its will certainly be 2 legs upon float over the 94.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaobrien6 View Post

 

No, that's a very valid point, especially since we don't know what else (if anything) he may have demo'd before picking the watea's.  And I'm not suggesting he doesn't try the bonafide, definitely not, just that he probably should demo rather than just pulling the trigger.



 

post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 

The moral here I'm getting is to demo.  Ima try to do that.  Thanks fellers!

post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutorq View Post

The moral here I'm getting is to demo.  Ima try to do that.  Thanks fellers!



You are italian? Caio. smile.gif

post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post





You are italian? Caio. smile.gif

haha no far from it actually :) 

 

 

Any resources for finding demo days summit county area??
 

 

post #14 of 15

there's a huge demo day in the beginning of the season http://www.skiloveland.com/events/november.aspx

 

actual day will depend on the bitch's return ( a little ski porn reference...)  

 

I might try to make this one ...

post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

there's a huge demo day in the beginning of the season http://www.skiloveland.com/events/november.aspx

 

actual day will depend on the bitch's return ( a little ski porn reference...)  

 

I might try to make this one ...

Thanks, I'll watch out for the dates.  If you go, we shall hit a couple runs together, hopefully the powy will have arrived.
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Compare watea 94 to bonafide and cochise please