EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › good all mountain ski for bumps
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

good all mountain ski for bumps

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

I have read many of these forums but never posted a question. here goes.

 

I am expert level skier. Ski out west, mainly Whistler and interior BC, 6' 1" 175 lbs. I ski everything  powder, steeps, trees, bumps, high speed cruising (No park though). A few years ago I bought Salomon X wing Fury's (177cm)and loved them. For one Ski and what I do I thought this was a great balance (still do). Last year I bought some Salomon Guns (188cm) and also loved them and use these on powder days.

 

Okay that's the background now the question. I now have multiple skis so will continue to have a more dedicated powder ski which means my everyday ski does not have to do it all.I ski alot of moguls and am interested in replacing the Furys with a ski that's more forgiving in bumps. It still needs to be versatile so cant be a bump specific ski. I can trade off float in powder for bump performance but it still needs to handle softer snow, crud and light powder up to say 6"-8" after that I can use the guns.

 

Any suggestions?

 

I have an opportunity to pick up some Salomon Tornados at a reasonable price and read some positive comments on these. What are your thoughts?

 

I  don't have a thing for Salomon it just seems that when I am in the market for a set of skis these seem the best deal at the time.

 

Thanks

 

JC

post #2 of 17

From all the threads I have read, I hear comments that any ski with a bit of tip or tip and tail rocker ski the bumps surprisingly well. I purchased some Sultan 85's last season, that are advertized as having a bit of tip rise (not really so much in my opinion) but they are easy to ski in bumps.  I just bought some All Mtn Armada TST's for this season and they have a lot of tip rocker.  I am thinking they will work well in bumps, as they look like they will ski short compared to their marked 183 length.

post #3 of 17

Blizzard The One, Rossi S3 

 

I haven't skied any Salomons, can't comment on those

post #4 of 17

The Watea series from Fischer might fit the bill. 

 

Most reviews include "playful" somewhere in the description.

 

The do NOT shine in heavy/wet/manky/chowder, so you should factor that in.

post #5 of 17

I think Salomon is currently making two groups of skis, newer models completely re-designed a couple years ago, and some hangover models from their doldrum years several back. If you're buying Salomon, the newer stuff is where you want to look, disregarding mark downs.

post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2 ski View Post

From all the threads I have read, I hear comments that any ski with a bit of tip or tip and tail rocker ski the bumps surprisingly well. I purchased some Sultan 85's last season, that are advertized as having a bit of tip rise (not really so much in my opinion) but they are easy to ski in bumps.  I just bought some All Mtn Armada TST's for this season and they have a lot of tip rocker.  I am thinking they will work well in bumps, as they look like they will ski short compared to their marked 183 length.


I was looking at the Sultan 85's on the weekend and agree there is very little rocker that I can see. I actually ended up buying my son a pair of the Sultan 80's that day.

 

The Armada TST's are similar dimensions to the Salomon Gun's I have for powder days. Do you think the TST's will handle bumps as well as the Sultan 85's? Are you keeping the Sultan 85's and the TST's?

 

I have to admit I only have limited experience on rockered skis and have not yet been knocked out by a pair yet. I understand the concepts well but one thing I do love about the Gun's and the Fury's is their stability at speed on firmer surfaces and how they can destroy chopped up snow and crud which even on a good powder day you end up skiing a great deal of. I am not convinced a ski with a significant rocker is going to give you that. I am prepared to be convinced though...

 


 

 

post #7 of 17

Kastle FX 84 or 94 ?

post #8 of 17

good for bumps. OK, all the popular all mountain category skis (from many manufacturers) are good in bumps.

 

The reason is that

 

all mountains are mostly moguls most of the time.  and all skiers ski some moguls part of the time.

 

A ski would not gain popularity if it sucked in bumps. It may not be easy in bumps or super quick in bumps like a designated bump ski, but it will deal. If you are on a good ski like a Mantra, and you are not able to ski bumps with it, you have a technical problem. buy a good, solid ski and work out the technical issues over time. (note: Some skis are built way too stiff and are a liability in moguls, but rarely do they achieve much acceptance from the regular crowd. )

post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinbc View Post



 


Do you think the TST's will handle bumps as well as the Sultan 85's? Are you keeping the Sultan 85's and the TST's?

 

I have to admit I only have limited experience on rockered skis and have not yet been knocked out by a pair yet. I understand the concepts well but one thing I do love about the Gun's and the Fury's is their stability at speed on firmer surfaces and how they can destroy chopped up snow and crud which even on a good powder day you end up skiing a great deal of. I am not convinced a ski with a significant rocker is going to give you that. I am prepared to be convinced though...

 


 

 

Honestly, I expect the TST to ski the bumps better in a 183 than my Sultans in a 178, as the TST has a slightly shorter running length due to the tip rocker.  Yes, I will keep them both in a 4 ski quiver, as they are quite different from one another.  I like a rockered ski for days there is new snow on the ground. How deep that snow is determines which pair of rockered skis I will be onwink.gif
 

 

post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

good for bumps. OK, all the popular all mountain category skis (from many manufacturers) are good in bumps.

 

The reason is that

 

all mountains are mostly moguls most of the time.  and all skiers ski some moguls part of the time.

 

A ski would not gain popularity if it sucked in bumps. It may not be easy in bumps or super quick in bumps like a designated bump ski, but it will deal. If you are on a good ski like a Mantra, and you are not able to ski bumps with it, you have a technical problem. buy a good, solid ski and work out the technical issues over time. (note: Some skis are built way too stiff and are a liability in moguls, but rarely do they achieve much acceptance from the regular crowd. )


 

I never said I can't ski bumps. I ski them all the time and a do pretty good job at it. What I asked is if anybody could reccomend a ski that was more forgining than the Fury in bumps. They are pretty stiff and from my own experience can become hard work trying to ski tight lines in big moguls. This is supported by virtually every review of the ski I read so it is not just me. Taking a wider line and opening it up they are fine its when you try and work them quickly through bumps that it becomes a struggle.


 

 

post #11 of 17
post #12 of 17

My poor use of the word "you" for the hypothetical, as in if "one" can't turn a Mantra in bumps. What I said about overly stiff skis may hold true for the Tornado and others you'd prob want to avoid, and Mantra and Shogun not overly stiff models to demo.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinbc View Post



 


 

I never said I can't ski bumps. I ski them all the time and a do pretty good job at it. What I asked is if anybody could reccomend a ski that was more forgining than the Fury in bumps. They are pretty stiff and from my own experience can become hard work trying to ski tight lines in big moguls. This is supported by virtually every review of the ski I read so it is not just me. Taking a wider line and opening it up they are fine its when you try and work them quickly through bumps that it becomes a struggle.


 

 



 

post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

Blizzard The One, Rossi S3 

 

I haven't skied any Salomons, can't comment on those

 

Yep.


I like the ones I have better in bumps than the Sultan 85s which I also have or the K2 PEs which the sultans replaced -- both of which are reputed to be great bump skis. I guess I like a floppy / turny ski in bumps. 

post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

My poor use of the word "you" for the hypothetical, as in if "one" can't turn a Mantra in bumps. What I said about overly stiff skis may hold true for the Tornado and others you'd prob want to avoid, and Mantra and Shogun not overly stiff models to demo.
 



 



OK thanks for the clarrification. You are probably right about the Tornado. From what I have read they are on the stiffer side of the spectrum so there are likley better options. I already have a pair of Salomon guns which precede the Shogun but of course its a different construction and no tip rocker. Siimilar dimensions though. I really should head to the demo tent early on in the season and try out some different skis.

 

post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinbc View Post

I have an opportunity to pick up some Salomon Tornados at a reasonable price and read some positive comments on these. What are your thoughts?

 

I  don't have a thing for Salomon it just seems that when I am in the market for a set of skis these seem the best deal at the time.

 

Thanks

 

JC

Tornados have more than one model.  I demoed "Power" and "Ti" last season.  Night and day.  The Power was way too soft for me, especially in torsional stiffness.  Would probably do well in bumps, but I wouldn't want to ski it anywhere else.  The Ti was at another extreme.  At 5'11" and 185, the Ti was very stiff, and not fun below GS speeds.

I don't know if there are any more models of Tornado.  Don't want to dissuade you from them, but very strongly suggesting that you demo before buying.
 

 

post #16 of 17

Hi JC,

I have 2009 Fury's and found them to be excellent in the bumps, which I ski alot.  Not sure what year of your Fury's but they did change a few times.  Mine do not have any metal in them, which is what I wanted.  In 2010 they added metal.

post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrulz View Post

Hi JC,

I have 2009 Fury's and found them to be excellent in the bumps, which I ski alot.  Not sure what year of your Fury's but they did change a few times.  Mine do not have any metal in them, which is what I wanted.  In 2010 they added metal.


 

I got mine in 09 but they were from a prior year. so they are probably 07 or 08. The one thing I did read about the Fury around the time I bought them was they did not excell in bumps.Obviously you have a different view. From my perspective overall they are a great ski its when I try to ski really quick fall line turns in closely spaced moguls that it falls apart and I feel I really wrestle with them. Relaxing taking a wider line and letting the ski run a bit more  they are fine and I can comfortably get through any bumps.

 

Of course I have to admit there may be more to this than the ski and there is always room for improvement on my side.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › good all mountain ski for bumps