New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Flooding in the Poconos

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Well I don't think this flood is going to effect the ski areas as much as the flooding in VT from Irene, but there is some serious flooding going on here. In 1972 hurricane Agnes came through and was supposed to be a 500 year flood, some of the creeks around my house surpassed what it was in 1972. The Susquehanna river in Scranton (where Sno Mountain is located) is supposed to crest tonight at 41 feet. On Monday it was 3 foot deep, flood stage is 21 feet. 41 feet is the height of the levees protecting the city.

Around here we have several bridges with structural damage. I have pictures and video of some flooding around here on my blog here. The flooding isn't good.
post #2 of 18

65000 people have been evacuated from Wilkes-Barre. Yeah..this is not good. 

post #3 of 18

Holy Spit! That's some serious flooding!

 

post #4 of 18

Anyone out there kayaking?  I grew up boating in PA and always looked forward to running some of the Pocono rivers and creeks at floodstage.

post #5 of 18

From what i have heard, and things are not quite as bad here in the Philly area, the rivers in east central Pa are at the "sweep you into a bridge and drown you" stage, not really safe for kayaking.  I don't know about the Lehigh, but the USGS maintains guages and you can look up the river stages.

post #6 of 18

I think its a 100,000 people.  And a lot of old houses built in the hey day of coal built near the water because that was the way it was done then. 

post #7 of 18

Did you say coal? I hope that the Yuengling Brewery is OK!

post #8 of 18

Major disaster here in the Harrisburg area. We are approaching Agnes levels now and will be crested early Sat. morning. The city has evacuated, roads and highways closed all over, schools closed, no water or electricity in many areas, people stranded. Hershey was also hit particularly hard with many buildings up to the roof and some swept away.

post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan from Pa View Post

From what i have heard, and things are not quite as bad here in the Philly area, the rivers in east central Pa are at the "sweep you into a bridge and drown you" stage, not really safe for kayaking.  I don't know about the Lehigh, but the USGS maintains guages and you can look up the river stages.


They're more in the sweep you into the bridge and take the bridge with you stage. I know of at least two bridges with major structural damage, and three with at least minor or moderate (possibly worse waiting for the inspections) to the bridge. And thats just in this small area of Lycoming County.
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

65000 people have been evacuated from Wilkes-Barre. Yeah..this is not good. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by handhdad View Post

I think its a 100,000 people.  And a lot of old houses built in the hey day of coal built near the water because that was the way it was done then. 


Not sure what the total evacuation number is, but 65,000 is indeed the number for Wilkes Barre as Phil said.
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Well on a good note the river crested below what they predicted it would. It crested overnight at a still frightening 39.82 feet, but it was lower than the 40.8 they were anticipating. OTOH just up the river in Meshoppen the river crested a foot above what it did in Agnes at 44.48 feet eek.gif

Despite the lower river levels, the general consensus is that this is worse than Agnes. A lot of areas have crested higher than they did in 1972. Knoebels amusement park took a serious hit. I'm watching WNEP's live coverage as I type this and the Police Chief in one of Wilkes-Barre's bureaus (I think it was Pittston) started crying on camera talking about what he's seeing as a first responder.
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Now the lack of being able to move is handicapping things. Bloomsburg High School's athletic complex is on fire and they can't get there to put the fire out. All the petroleum leaking into the water from home oil tanks and gas stations has the potential to create very bad things.
post #13 of 18

I went to college in Bloomsburg.  I'm trying to remember exactly where the high school was.  I hope the covered bridges survive.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylrwnzl View Post

Now the lack of being able to move is handicapping things. Bloomsburg High School's athletic complex is on fire and they can't get there to put the fire out. All the petroleum leaking into the water from home oil tanks and gas stations has the potential to create very bad things.


 

post #14 of 18

Be safe, all youse PA Bears!

post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post

I went to college in Bloomsburg.  I'm trying to remember exactly where the high school was.  I hope the covered bridges survive.
 



 


It sits right on the river off Rt. 487 (opposite side of 487 from the airport, about a mile off 487).
post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylrwnzl View Post

Well on a good note the river crested below what they predicted it would. It crested overnight at a still frightening 39.82 feet, but it was lower than the 40.8 they were anticipating. OTOH just up the river in Meshoppen the river crested a foot above what it did in Agnes at 44.48 feet eek.gif

Despite the lower river levels, the general consensus is that this is worse than Agnes. A lot of areas have crested higher than they did in 1972. Knoebels amusement park took a serious hit. I'm watching WNEP's live coverage as I type this and the Police Chief in one of Wilkes-Barre's bureaus (I think it was Pittston) started crying on camera talking about what he's seeing as a first responder.

I stand corrected. They just reported that the gauge had broken; it crested at 42.66 feet which surpasses the previous worst flood record. The levee is only 41 feet eek.gif Apparently the levee is actually higher than the 41 feet they list it at, but 41 feet is what its designed to be its highest protection level; There are currently unsubstantiated rumors that portions of the levee are beginning to fail. It may be a bad morning when I flip the news on.
post #17 of 18

It may seem counter-intuitive to many, but floods have gotten worse over the years, not because of rainfall, but because we are building more and more levees and building them higher.

 

 

 

post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoof2 View Post

It may seem counter-intuitive to many, but floods have gotten worse over the years, not because of rainfall, but because we are building more and more levees and building them higher.

 

 

 


That is true; I saw someone bemoaning that years ago Pittston had voted not to build a levee because they wanted a view of the river and everyone was chewing out the people responsible for not building it. What they fail to recognize is that Pittston basically became the overflow for the levee. Had the water been contained in that area too the levees in Wilkes-Barre would have certainly failed as they were already a foot and a half higher than they were designed to protect and within inches of overflowing the levees. In a way it is a bit deceptive to compare the river crests pre and post-levee, but regardless the flooding was still bad.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion