Consider this a community service message (maybe we can sticky this at the top of the ski gear forum?).
So you're thinking about pulling the trigger on a new pair of skis and you're not sure which ones to buy?
Save yourself some trouble when you first ask the forum and make sure to include the following:
1. Height & Weight (and age if you think it matters).
2. Where do you usually ski? The snow in Utah is not the same as it is in Vermont, so it's important. Are these skis going on a trip every year to Whistler or Tahoe or somewhere completely different?
3. What kind of skiing do you like to do or are you striving to do? Groomers only, mostly off piste, a little of everything because you're an all-mountain champ, terrain park, strictly deep powder? Also, how do you usually ski? Super aggressive GS turns all the way down, nice and mellow with short but consistent turns, a little of both with lots of turn length variations? Carving, slarving, skidding?
4. Do you already have or intend to buy a quiver? Whether you're going to use only one ski no matter what or give yourself some options depending on the conditions can result in different recommendations.
5. What kind of skier are you? Beginner / Intermediate / Advanced-Intermediate / Advanced / Expert / McConkey ... or ... level 1-9 if you're a hardcore classifier OCD type.
6. What skis have you liked / disliked in the past? Why?
Note: If you don't already have ski boots that were sized by a professional boot-fitter, do this first. No, seriously. It's really easy to mess up even if they seem like a good fit at first (I would know).
*If anyone thinks I should include something else on the list, post it below and I'll consider adding it to this original post.
Edited by JayT - 9/8/11 at 8:21am