EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Antarctica ~ Doug Stoup rides again!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Antarctica ~ Doug Stoup rides again!!

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

 

I'll start by saying that I've had the pleasure of spending some time with Doug Stoup and besides being an awesome adventurer, he is quite an incredible human being.  Beyond that, it shouldn't surprise anyone when they see yet another "first" by Doug Stoup and his adventure seeking spirit; so why did this make me take a second look?

 

 

Quote:
<snip> from article:
So, working with bike designer and aerospace engineer Dan Hanebrink, Stoup came up with an alternative to skis: a bike that he could ride in Antarctica. The ice bike has no plastic parts (which would freeze and shatter in the extreme conditions), and the superfat, low-pressure tires provide traction in situations that would make a mountain bike weep. After a successful trial earlier this year, Stoup says he is ready to pedal to the Pole.

 

 

Because its not something that you'd expect, yet its brilliant!

As one of Dougs friends said, "That's Bitchin'!"

Oh and did I forget to mention that you, too, can have this bike for a mere $3,500.00? 

 

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1935038_1935083_1935722,00.html?xid=fbshare

 

 

The link in the quote was broken, but the other link that I put in, works.

 


Edited by Trekchick - 9/1/11 at 11:49am
post #2 of 13

Link in quotes doesn't work. 

 

Looks awesome though! I feel like it would be harder then if u just skied. 

 

 

post #3 of 13

Could be a long ride, Doug.

 

post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 

Doug did ski it in 2000, and wanted to do something different.  Why not, eh?

post #5 of 13

Doug has been running Antarctic ski cruises for a few years now through his company Ice Axe Expeditions. The mothership is used to access various places to ski tour. The trips are around 12-14 days and range from $7,000-12,000 p.p. Not bad when you consider the cost of one week of heli skiing.

post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattL View Post

Doug has been running Antarctic ski cruises for a few years now through his company Ice Axe Expeditions. The mothership is used to access various places to ski tour. The trips are around 12-14 days and range from $7,000-12,000 p.p. Not bad when you consider the cost of one week of heli skiing.



matt,

 

Did you know Doug when he was back in PA? I worked with him about 20 years ago at Wick's

post #7 of 13

 

Quote:
Doug has been running Antarctic ski cruises for a few years now through his company Ice Axe Expeditions.

As some of you know, I'm going on his cruise in November.biggrin.gif

 

Thus I've acquired AT gear, got some more practice this week at Mammoth: http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9760

 

I note the bike invention was in 2003.  I'll have to ask Doug if he still uses it and if he's bringing one along on the cruise.

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post

 

As some of you know, I'm going on his cruise in November.biggrin.gif

 

Thus I've acquired AT gear, got some more practice this week at Mammoth: http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9760

 

I note the bike invention was in 2003.  I'll have to ask Doug if he still uses it and if he's bringing one along on the cruise.


I had forgotten that you were going to go on an Ice Axe cruise.  You're going to love it!

I actually talked to him today about the bike.  He has a funny story about his test trip with the bike and its success, and how he moved forward with other projects.  (he's quite animated when he talks about something he's passionate about)  smile.gif

[teaser]The bike is actually going to be used(after some modifications) by a woman who's doing her own adventure. [/teaser] 

More of that story later. biggrin.gif

 

post #9 of 13

Seriously, riding a friggin bike, are you crazy.

post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post

Seriously, riding a friggin bike, are you crazy.



When I talked to Doug about it, he said that the snow on the Antarctica is granular like sand on the beach, so a beach bike type tire is ideal for something like this.  He had a good test run with it and thinks it works very well for the purpose it was invented.  He just got tied up with other adventures and never got back to it, which is why he's excited about the woman who's going to use it for her voyage.

post #11 of 13

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

When I talked to Doug about it, he said that the snow on the Antarctica is granular like sand on the beach, so a beach bike type tire is ideal for something like this.  He had a good test run with it and thinks it works very well for the purpose it was invented.  He just got tied up with other adventures and never got back to it, which is why he's excited about the woman who's going to use it for her voyage.


Something like this?:

BK3181.jpg  

 

Here's a cool video of the sort of thing that can be pulled off with those rigs:

 

post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thanks for posting the video.  That's cool stuff

 That is on the right track, but not quite what Doug and Dan came up with...

Something more like this, with fatter tires.  Think Fat Wheel.

invicebike.jpg

post #13 of 13

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

 

... That is on the right track, but not quite what Doug and Dan came up with...

Something more like this, with fatter tires.  Think Fat Wheel.

invicebike.jpg

 

eek.gif
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Antarctica ~ Doug Stoup rides again!!