EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Anyone own a roof rack? If so, help me buy one!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone own a roof rack? If so, help me buy one!

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I just got a '11 Hyundai Sonata a couple weeks ago and am already planning for the winter. I came from my dad's '00 Subaru Legacy Hatch , where we were able to throw 4 pairs of skis in the trunk and be fine...Not so much with a sedan. 

 

The Sonata doesn't come with any sort of "bar" for the roof , so if anyone knows of any specific roof rack that is stable and doesn't shake or feel weak under highway speeds. It would have to hold a minimum amount of 3 pairs of skis.

 

I don't want to spend too much money since I don't really have a steady income (18yrsold), but I'd rather my skis be secure and spend an extra hundred than have my skis run over on the highway... 

 

Thanks for any suggestions!!

post #2 of 10

buy a used thule or yakima off of craigslist.

 

you'll have to buy a foot kit separately most likely but it the cheapest way to go if u want something nice and stable. otherwise there are just ski specific ones, some magnetic ones that arent too pricy. just make sure they fit your ski width

 

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 

Well I live in NYC so it will be pretty hard buying it used. Amazon has some Thules for around $150, but as you said I would have to buy some sort of kit as well.

 

Is there any specific roof racks I could buy and setup with the foot kit?

post #4 of 10

Look at this site - REI

 

http://www.rei.com/category/4500010

 

They discuss roof racks in some detail and focus on the two biggest companies - Yakima and Thule - you can't go wrong with either system, although there are differences.

 

There seems to be an REI in NYC, (the web site suggests that there is) and you would have access to a human to talk to there.

 

The first thing to do is decide on whether you want ski rack or a box.  Personally, I like the boxes better because they keep salt and crud off the skis and it is easy just to toss skis and poles into the box.  Also, in the summer, boxes are good at carrying stuff.  Ski racks are little less expensive, but make sure to buy a lock for the rack - this makes leaving your unattended for a bit safer.

 

Once you decide on which rack or box you need, then get they bar and foot system for your vehicle.  REI should have feet that are appropriate for your vehicle on hand or easily ordered.

 

good luck

 

 

post #5 of 10

Thule and Yakima have been kinda lax of late in getting feet to the market for new designs (such as '11 models) until they see a demand, with the popularity of the Sonata, I hope it won't be the case. If you are in NY proper, storage of a box might not be an option, but if it is, that is the way to go. I also agree in checking CL for boxes, it can be a good source. There are some good on line retailers for parts such as rackattack.com

post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianskier View Post

Look at this site - REI

 

http://www.rei.com/category/4500010

 

They discuss roof racks in some detail and focus on the two biggest companies - Yakima and Thule - you can't go wrong with either system, although there are differences.

 

There seems to be an REI in NYC, (the web site suggests that there is) and you would have access to a human to talk to there.

 

The first thing to do is decide on whether you want ski rack or a box.  Personally, I like the boxes better because they keep salt and crud off the skis and it is easy just to toss skis and poles into the box.  Also, in the summer, boxes are good at carrying stuff.  Ski racks are little less expensive, but make sure to buy a lock for the rack - this makes leaving your unattended for a bit safer.

 

Once you decide on which rack or box you need, then get they bar and foot system for your vehicle.  REI should have feet that are appropriate for your vehicle on hand or easily ordered.

 

good luck

 

 


 

Ah thanks, I will definitely go to REI today and talk to them. I can't really buy a box because as the previous post mentioned, I don't have room for it. 

 

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitheeast36 View Post




 

Ah thanks, I will definitely go to REI today and talk to them. I can't really buy a box because as the previous post mentioned, I don't have room for it. 

 



Save yourself a trip - the REI store in NYC won't open until November.

 

I live in NYC and faced a similar problem, in that its a little more challenging than most places to check out things like roof racks.  I wound up buying online and went with Inno's (which I just sold because I changed cars) because they were about the only ones I could find that fit my Infiniti G37.  They were a lot cheaper than the Yakima or Thule equivalents, so I wasn't ecpecting much, but they were actually excellent quality, and held up very well for three years.

 

Also, if you want to try the second hand route, check the local Craigslist.  I sold mine on there within 24 hours of listing them, and there seemed to be plenty of roof racks on there at the time.

 

 

 

post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 

Well I went to the REI in Carle Place, and the guy quoted me for 400+ on the whole Thule setup.... Did not expect it to cost that much! CL here I come

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitheeast36 View Post

Well I went to the REI in Carle Place, and the guy quoted me for 400+ on the whole Thule setup.... Did not expect it to cost that much! CL here I come



Do you know if you will need roof extension bars yet?

post #10 of 10

ya thules or yakima are not cheap. thats why i suggested CL.  They can be had for well over 1/2 off.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Anyone own a roof rack? If so, help me buy one!