New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ogden or BCC?

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 

Want to have a partial family ski get-together.

 

Advice for mixed group sought on

  • mountain,
  • lodging,
  • instruction,
  • timing

 

Thinking Utah because one couple will be driving from AZ and one flying from a major city, so SLC ease of access is a plus.

 

GROUP A:

Mom and Pop. Old, but good skiers

Sons: One skier, one snowboarder, both good

for this group, the 1st priority is powder potential and 2nd priority is challenging terrain.

 

GROUP B: The sons married women who don't ski or board (Go figure; we thought we raised 'em better!) So we also need good beginner terrain and a really great ski instructor for adult women just learning. (or, heaven forbid, some sort of spa if it all goes to hell.)

 

We (the old folks) have only skied Snowbird, Alta and Solitude. If it was just us, it'd be a no-brainer: back toAlta/Bird. But Alta is out because of the snowboarder; Snowbird is out because of the beginners. Park City, well maybe, why go to Utah and settle for 'average' snow?

 

We liked Solitude, especially Honeycomb Canyon on the great powder daywe were lucky enough to hit, but maybe a bit on the small side for a four-five day stay? 

 

So Powder Mountain/Snowbasin or Solitude/Brighton?

 

We don't need luxury, but do want a nice place (no frat house ambiance) and access to a clean hot-tub.Condo prefered over a hotel. We are picking up the tab, so money is a consideration.

 

No school age kids (yay) so dates are flexible.

 

 

post #2 of 24

Ogden and Snowbasin.  Contact Jim Forster (4ster).

 

Mike

post #3 of 24

Snowbasin/PowMow much bigger ski areas.

post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom View Post

Want to have a partial family ski get-together.

 

Advice for mixed group sought on

  • mountain,
  • lodging,
  • instruction,
  • timing

 

Thinking Utah because one couple will be driving from AZ and one flying from a major city, so SLC ease of access is a plus.

 

GROUP A:

Mom and Pop. Old, but good skiers

Sons: One skier, one snowboarder, both good

for this group, the 1st priority is powder potential and 2nd priority is challenging terrain.

 

GROUP B: The sons married women who don't ski or board (Go figure; we thought we raised 'em better!) So we also need good beginner terrain and a really great ski instructor for adult women just learning. (or, heaven forbid, some sort of spa if it all goes to hell.)

 

We (the old folks) have only skied Snowbird, Alta and Solitude. If it was just us, it'd be a no-brainer: back toAlta/Bird. But Alta is out because of the snowboarder; Snowbird is out because of the beginners. Park City, well maybe, why go to Utah and settle for 'average' snow?

 

We liked Solitude, especially Honeycomb Canyon on the great powder daywe were lucky enough to hit, but maybe a bit on the small side for a four-five day stay? 

 

So Powder Mountain/Snowbasin or Solitude/Brighton?

 

We don't need luxury, but do want a nice place (no frat house ambiance) and access to a clean hot-tub.Condo prefered over a hotel. We are picking up the tab, so money is a consideration.

 

No school age kids (yay) so dates are flexible.

 

 



Would say Ogden. Be aware that snow basin has a great area for first timers, but personally I think their beginner terrain pretty much stinks other than that. The one beginner run is pretty crowded and gets icy and is fairly steep. Powmow has a ton of beginner trails though.


Edited by tromano - 8/24/11 at 8:09pm
post #5 of 24

Ogden for sure... Solitude and Brighton are too small in the vert category to ONLY ski those two for an entire trip. I think a beginner with any athletic ability could get to a spot within a day or so to enjoy the groomed blues off the gondolas at Snowbasin.  If you're thinking price, do some priceline.com bidding for 3.5 star hotels in the Ogden area.  People have historically got the Ogden Marriot in the $50 range, which looks to be a nice hotel.  Nothing's stopping you from making a day trip out to LCC as well.

post #6 of 24

When you going? I'm going to be the sole dissenter.  BCC will have better snow period, especially toward spring.  There's no slope-side lodging at Snowbasin, Powder Mt. has a little. 

If you get bored with BCC, LCC is 20-30 minutes away?

 

 

BCC/LCC>>>>>>SB/PM!

post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

When you going? I'm going to be the sole dissenter.  BCC will have better snow period, especially toward spring.  There's no slope-side lodging at Snowbasin, Powder Mt. has a little. 

If you get bored with BCC, LCC is 20-30 minutes away?

 

 

BCC/LCC>>>>>>SB/PM!

 

Terrain is a sure thing. Snow not so much.

 

The bolded statement above is flat out wrong. The daily snow conditions in Ogden area could very well be better than BCC, or the same, or worse. There is a lot to be said for where specifically storms track, recent weather patterns -- and having less skier traffic etc...

 

I do tend to agree that snowbasin does get alot of sun in the spring though...

 

Also if you are staying in BCC getting to LCC is more like an hour... About the same time it takes from Ogden.

 

 

post #8 of 24

I generally stay in SLC, better food, better value and more to do, and go where the conditions (or the roads) are best on any given day. It is really why I love Utah skiing so much.

post #9 of 24

Snowtel data will reveil consistantly more snow in the bcc. 1 storm thislast season hit pow mow basin with 12+ when the ccs only got the angry inch as we call it Skied the powmowsand it was good damn good..

Stay at sillytude in the nice condos, hot tubs skating rinks smores roasting, if its over a holiday or at times they do avvy dog rescues demos naturehikes and other family goods.

It is the sillytude village way and IMO they do it well. B right on is just up the road and there is a silly shuttle that goes to there nordic center right next door. you can probably still get groceries delivered or here is a small liquor outlet/sundries store in slrm building

. In 13 years i mansged to find new and interesting terrain at the tude, but Im good at that thing

Otherwise stay in the ghetto of odgen or pow mows  few slopeside condos and drive to the most excellent sun valleyesque holiness that Mr. Holden Created. Seems we gave him a bunch of land in exchange for worthless S. utah land but he hasnt yet got around to condoing the piss out of it.

They do however have the nicest ski resort shitters ever if that is a factor in your chooses where to stay or ski

another option would be use the search button to find the endless threads on this discussion and read and bump one of them so the next mom doesnt need to search as hard

BROMOM

post #10 of 24

Staying in Ogden and skiing Snowbasin and Powder Mountain sounds like it would be a good option, but as noted, they do not get the snow that BCC and LCC get.  Often times the storm track will be north and hit SB but not the CCs, or vice versa, but I believe the CCs definitely average more snow over the season.  It can be a long day if you drive to either of the CCs from Ogden, especially if it has just snowed. You have rush hour traffic both ways, and if you go on the weekend to avoid the traffic they have much bigger crowds.

 

Staying in Ogden is cheap compared to up the CCs, and it is a cool little town with a pretty easy drive to SB or PM.  Definitely check out the Farr's Ice Cream shop if you get there.  It is a true classic.  I don't know the spa situation.

 

PM has a huge amount of terrain, but is mostly very mellow.  There is some steep skiing, but it is almost all short shots to a road and bus ride back to the lifts, or requires a short hike or cat ride.  We did find a fair amount of untracked there between X-mas and New Year's fours days after a storm, which you cannot say about the CC areas.  SB has a great mix of terrain for all levels of skiers, plus the plushest on-mountain lodge and bathrooms in the country, thanks to the Olympics.  Snowbasin has a nickname of "Blow Basin" because it is wide open and tends to be windy, but Alta and Snowbird can get high winds too, especially on the ridge tops.  If it is really storming Solitude has the best protection and visibility.  I love Solitude, but Brighton doesn't do it for me.  A huge contingent of snowboarders, and the mountain has a very weird layout where all the blacks seem to lead to greens.  A few good pitches, but way too much flat compared to the other CC areas.

 

Hope some of that is useful. 

 

 

post #11 of 24

If you are looking to save costs then commuting from Ogden to Snowbasin and Powmow is a good choice.  Personally, I think there is plenty skiing for a four day visit to Solitude, esp if you visit Brighton for a day or two.  Since you've been to Solitude you know about the cute little village, good place if you want to stay slopeside in condos.

There is some info here { http://www.dcski.com/ubbthreads33/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=61449&page=2 } on Ogden lodging and non-ski activities, as well as impressions and pics of some of the ski areas mentioned in this thread:

 

 

post #12 of 24

There are plenty of condos in the Ogden Valley.  Lakeside Condos are about 10 minutes from Snowbasin & about 15 minutes to downtown Ogden.  More condos on the other side of the valley nearer to Powder Mountain in Eden & even some vacation rental homes.  In Huntsville there is the Atomic Chalet B&B, a fun place to stay.

 

As far as conditions, terrain & snow, what Tromano says is true.  The northern areas can get just as much or more snow than the Cottonwood Canyon areas, it just depends on the storm.  Overall, & average snowfall, the CC's get much more snow & their higher elevation means it is more consistent.  The terrain at Snowbasin is vast & varied.  Where it lacks is that tweener terrain (between 2nd timer & low intermediate) there is some, but you gotta know how to link it up.  Once you get off the lower mountain, the runs are all long & can wear a beginner out if they are not in shape.  There are plenty of long, groomed blue cruisers for intermediates off of both gondolas.  There is also plenty of off-piste challenge for any level, even some scary stuff if you know how to find it.  The biggest negative about Snowbasin is that it is prone to getting flat light, fog & wind especially on the top third of the mountain.  If it is a clear day the views are spectacular.

Dew Tour day 1 001.JPG

 

Powder Mountain is kinda the opposite of Snowbasin, mostly old slow lifts, old run down lodges & the food is not very good.  The place is sprawled out & there is tons of terrain to explore.  Not much of it is very steep, & the runs aren't very long but if there has been recent snow & the temps stay cool enough there is untracked to be found for days.  It has a very laid back locals day area kind of vibe & most people luv it!  The Hidden lake chairlift is a high speed quad & serves some good lower intermediate terrain.  The area is rarely crowded at all.  There is also night skiing on the short Sundowner lift.  There is also night skiing at Wolf Mountain, a smaller area in the valley with 3 lifts & 1000' vertical.

 

JF

post #13 of 24
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. The Ogden areas seem to be the ticket.

 

Some of us (me) like the laid back, some more the luxe, so we can try them both.

 

The beginners in our group are rank beginners, so POWMOW sounds as though it would be the better choice as the central mountain. I am a believer in hooking a beginner up with a consistant lesson package of every day with the same instructor if possible.

 

I think the others of us would love to explore those steeps at Snowbasin though, so any pointers on where those are to be found are also appreciated.

 

I'd be very interested if anyone knows a really good instructor at either mountain who would be patient and not too serious with the ladies. The two of them are very different women, but we want most of all for them to like the sport. I don't much care if they get off the green runs as long as they have FUN. If you know the perfect guy/gal, PM me if you prefer.

 

We made the Horrible mistake of taking one of them to Whistler at Christmas a couple of years ago. We put her in a group lesson. It was the pitts. stupid-crowded, icy on the bunny hill because of its being on the bottom of the mountain. So she was run over a bunch of times, bruised when she fell, ignored by the instructor because she was more self-sufficient than the rest of his huge class, had a bad experience and refused to go back. She never saw a view except to and from the airport. I want to avoid that kind of experience for sure!

 

I do hope for good snow, though. Want to give those Centuries a workout, Mudfoot!

 

Thanks everyone; truly.

post #14 of 24

PM sent.

JF

post #15 of 24



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom View Post

 

I do hope for good snow, though. Want to give those Centuries a workout, Mudfoot!

 

Mom:

 

I think you and your husband will really enjoy the John Paul Express Lift at Snow Basin. It accesses some sweet steep Taos like terrain, including the Olympic Downhill, which can be a great powder run, since they usually don't pack it right after a storm.  A day or two after a dump keep your eye on No Name Peak (far right edge of the area on the map). When they open that it usually has some fantastic bumpless powder.  You can jump in low from the JPE lift, or take the little tram at the top and then shoot over to a 15" hike to the top of No Name.  That's where my wife baptized her Centuries in a 2-day 30" dump where they proved to be the perfect tool for the job.  Most of the "experts" that go to SLC hit Alta/Snowbird, so Snow Basin is much less crowded, especially on the steeper stuff.  It is a nice counterpoint to the Cottonwood Canyon areas.

 

MF

post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfoot View Post

Mom:

 

I think you and your husband will really enjoy the John Paul Express Lift at Snow Basin. It accesses some sweet steep Taos like terrain, including the Olympic Downhill, which can be a great powder run, since they usually don't pack it right after a storm.  A day or two after a dump keep your eye on No Name Peak (far right edge of the area on the map). When they open that it usually has some fantastic bumpless powder.  You can jump in low from the JPE lift, or take the little tram at the top and then shoot over to a 15" hike to the top of No Name.  That's where my wife baptized her Centuries in a 2-day 30" dump where they proved to be the perfect tool for the job.  Most of the "experts" that go to SLC hit Alta/Snowbird, so Snow Basin is much less crowded, especially on the steeper stuff.  It is a nice counterpoint to the Cottonwood Canyon areas.

 

MF



JP is the obvious place to hit. And the runs off the tram are a blast. But don't forget to explore the middle bowl and strawberry areas (particualrly sisters area on skiers right) which have a lot of good stuff as well. And then there are the runs off the cirque above needles lodge.

post #17 of 24

I personally could do Snowbasin for a week like most others here. The problem might be that your Group B could easily get bored after skiing a half day and being done for the day. Chances are they won't make it much past lunch. There is not much else for them to do in Ogden. That could also mean less skiing for your sons when they have to stop early to help them find something to do.

 

I went with a similar group once. We stayed in Park City, rented 2 cars and some of us drove to LCC everyday except one day when we all skied Dear Valet. The beginners came along to LCC 2 of the days for Solitude and Brighton. It worked out pretty well. It was easier for us experienced skiers to move about where we wanted and still meet up with everybody after skiing.

post #18 of 24
Thread Starter 

MMMMM. sounds delicious. Thank you so much for the tips on where to go. Taos-like steeps with minimal hiking will be a real treat.

 

Sons will probably have to spend the afternoons with the gals but that's OK because they are besotted in love and DH and I play well together. I'm thinking two or three days of 1/2 day private lessons for the gals with a day or two off to soak in the tub and rest sore muscles. The main thing really is to make sure they get indoctrinated. Otherwise, the family ski trips are going to be few and far between.

 

Lessons at Powder Mountain are a little cheaper and it sounds more beginner friendly, so we will probably start there and then move on to Snowbasin on the girls' day off plus one day just so they can luxuriate in the bathroom. (It's such a hoot that everyone talks about the bathrooms there; they must really be something!)

 

There seem to be a lot of reasonable VRBO options for condos/houses in Eden and Huntsville, so we will likely stay there.

 

If I can pull this off, I promise a TR after.

 

Muchisimas Gracias for the advice.

post #19 of 24

You feel guilty going in with your ski boots on.

 

Snow Basin Lodge Bathroom11-555x740.jpg

post #20 of 24

Mom, even if available I would not stay at Powder Mountain with your group.  I stayed there in a nice slopeside condo on my guy's trip a couple of years ago and we all agreed it was not the place for our wives.  NO nightlife or restaurants at the mountain.  The skiing is great, especially for your mixed group.  I can't say enough about how nice Snowbasin is and the terrain is excellent.  The lodges are beautiful as are the bathrooms...they even have attendants!  Listen to what 4ster tells you, he is the local expert and great to ski with.

This was taken in the area that Mudfoot was referring to.

DSCN2450.JPG

post #21 of 24

Ah, No Name!  There is over a 2,000 vert there, and the picture is just the top, but you get the idea. biggrin.gif

 

I believe they only open it on a limited basis, after storms, so never any bumps.

 

Nice crowds!


Edited by mudfoot - 8/26/11 at 12:32pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfoot View Post

Ah, No Name!  There is over a 2,000 vert there, and the picture is just the top, but you get the idea. biggrin.gif

 

I believe they only open it on a limited basis, after storms, so never any bumps.

 

Nice crowds!


It's slack country.   You should have gear, but most don't.

 

post #23 of 24
Thread Starter 

OK. Don't stay at Pow Mow, but how about Eden or Huntsville? the VRBO condos and homes looked really nice online.

post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

It's slack country.   You should have gear, but most don't.

No Name area is mostly inbounds, but in a roped avalanche control area.  The gates are open as soon as avalanche control work is done.  This is often a day or 2 after a big storm & although control work is done, it is not a bad idea to have gear & partner.  It is very natural terrain with lots of gullies & terrain traps.  It wears a lot of people out quickly if it is not in prime condition.  There is OB territory adjacent to it that is prime avalanche country though & is rarely totally safe.  Many people play Russian roulette in there & occasionally pay the ultimate price.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom View Post

OK. Don't stay at Pow Mow, but how about Eden or Huntsville? the VRBO condos and homes looked really nice online.


If you are planning to only ski Pow Mow & Snowbasin, then staying in the valley is a good option, especially since you are looking for a condo or house.

 

JF

 

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel