or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Snowbird-Is it Ok for Intermediate Skier?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Snowbird-Is it Ok for Intermediate Skier?

post #1 of 67
Thread Starter 

I'm considering a group trip to Snowbird in March of 2012.  I'm 65 and an intermediate, an average intermediate.  I've never skied Utah, but have enjoyed Snowmass, Mammoth Mt, Alpine Meadows, Northstar.

 

Would an average intermediate like Snowbird?

post #2 of 67

Shouldn't be a problem. You could also try Alta right next door (there is a crossover and a combined ticket at extra cost).

post #3 of 67

Snowbird is an amazing place with chances for superb snow conditions.  The combination of Alta/Bird should not be missed.  However, I think most folks would tell you to base yourself at Alta instead.  It has more intermediate terrain and after you gauge yourself in that environment you would likely to be comfortable making the short trip by skis or car for the good amount of strong intermediate terrain at Snowbird that can be easily managed. I hit Snowbird late in a Jan 2011 trip on a “recovery day” and thrived on its slightly softer side exploring very pleasant intermediate to advanced skiing on trails like Bassackwards (Gad Valley area), Chip’s Run (Peruvian Gulch area), and all across the enormous Mineral Basin. The Alta lodges have a very special feel - swank monasteries for snow junkies.  Just to be clear, Snowbird is overall fairly steep and not the best for mindless cruising.  Neither place is good for non-skiers looking for a resort town to hang out in.

 

 

post #4 of 67

You'd be ok, but if you're an average intermediate, you would also like Snowbasin and the Park City areas. Plenty of intermediate terrain at those areas.

post #5 of 67

I have only been there twice during late season (mid to late april), but had a blast! You will be find if your intermediate.  Just remember if you get a lot of fresh snow to use powder ski.  While my k2 apache recons were ok, the powder skis I rented were awesome

 

post #6 of 67

Snowbird is "ok" for the true intermediate skier. And in the context of what Utah has to offer, being "ok" puts it basically dead last in UT. Even 600 acre Beaver Mt has more to offer the intermeidaite skier. If you really want to come to UT and ski the bird, its ok you will have fun, but its prety much the worst option.

post #7 of 67
Thread Starter 

My trip is an Over The Hill Gang trip and there's two that interest me.  The Utah Sampler (Deer Valley, Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, and Snow Basin), and Snowbird.  The sampler is March 4-11 and Snowbird is March 11-18.

 

The sampler has the group staying in an Embassy Suites in Salt Lake City with a chartered bus each day to the different slopes.  It has been a very popular trip for OTHGI.  I was favoring Snowbird because it stays at The Cliff Lodge (ski-in/ski-out) and it just seemed like less schlepping.  However, I am getting the feeling that maybe the Sampler is a better fit for me.

post #8 of 67

We've been at Embassy Suites when that group is there and all I can tell you is they know how to have fun beercheer.gif . The best way imho to ski Utah is to sample everything there is, every time you go. Do they establish when you'll ski where in advance or do they chase the snow?

post #9 of 67

If I were coming to UT for the first time, I would go with the sampler (reguardless of skier level).

post #10 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post

We've been at Embassy Suites when that group is there and all I can tell you is they know how to have fun beercheer.gif . The best way imho to ski Utah is to sample everything there is, every time you go. Do they establish when you'll ski where in advance or do they chase the snow?

I suspect they have scheduled days for each mountain, but I don't know.  I'll have to ask.  One more nudge to the sampler.
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post

If I were coming to UT for the first time, I would go with the sampler (reguardless of skier level).

One more nudge.
 

 

post #11 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post

We've been at Embassy Suites when that group is there and all I can tell you is they know how to have fun beercheer.gif . The best way imho to ski Utah is to sample everything there is, every time you go. Do they establish when you'll ski where in advance or do they chase the snow?


What did you think of the Embassy Suites?  Decent hotel?

 

post #12 of 67

I would say I'm in an advanced category -certainly no where near expert class, but advanced.  Anyway, to get anyone to ski with me, I often haul my friends and family out West with me and quite frankly, a lot of them are really bad skiers.  Thus, I have some nice perspective on how crummy skiers do out West.  From my experiences, you cannot go wrong with PCMR, Deer Valley, or The Canyons in Utah.  Snowbasin is also fantastic if you are an adventurous intermediate (much of their terrain is tough to rate because of local undulations and pitch changes- very much top to bottom skiing).  I do not recommend Alta for intermediates.  You will end up skiing the same runs time after time.  This was the sentiment of my wife, and she would be an advanced intermediate.  

 

 

post #13 of 67

+1 for the Sampler.

Snowbird can be tough for even strong intermediates, and why not take advantage of the chance to sample what else is available.

post #14 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHGIskier View Post




What did you think of the Embassy Suites?  Decent hotel?

 



ummm...............it's an Embassy Suite. A lot of the staff has been around for several years, they set up a brreakfast buffet the week the gang is there, managers reception for happy hour, nice downtown location, ski shop right behind the hotel, good restaurants within walking distance. You've got to walk over to the Grand America Hotel and check that out one evening. 

 

post #15 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post





ummm...............it's an Embassy Suite. A lot of the staff has been around for several years, they set up a brreakfast buffet the week the gang is there, managers reception for happy hour, nice downtown location, ski shop right behind the hotel, good restaurants within walking distance. You've got to walk over to the Grand America Hotel and check that out one evening. 

 

 

Never stayed at that hotel, but I really like the downtown hotels that I have been to in terms of amenities. The location is much better and more walkable than Sandy, places to eat and hang close by and realistically it take maybe 15 minutes longer to get up the mountain than being in Sandy...
 

 

post #16 of 67

search jong this shits been discussed endlessly

Where is the snowbird devotee and his uberguide to the turd

just pm bwpa he did a couple seasons there and knows everything

post #17 of 67

Add another vote for the sampler.  You will definitely find a lot of terrain that suits your abilities and preferences, and you will have a great time at those 5 resorts.  

 

  My take on the bird is that while it's not beyond my abilities,  it's tougher terrain than I enjoy  skiing (I'm an upper intermediate, FWIW). The blues would be blacks at most other resorts, and the greens are all cat tracks.  You might like the bird, but I wouldn't lock myself into a week there sight unseen.  My guess is that if you do the sampler you'll be saying to yourself how glad you were that you didn't spend your entire time at Snowbird.

 

If you do opt for the Snowbird thing, it's only a short free bus ride over to Alta.  Definitely hit Alta while you're there.

 

 

post #18 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post





ummm...............it's an Embassy Suite. A lot of the staff has been around for several years, they set up a brreakfast buffet the week the gang is there, managers reception for happy hour, nice downtown location, ski shop right behind the hotel, good restaurants within walking distance. You've got to walk over to the Grand America Hotel and check that out one evening. 

 


Is it a good ski shop?  I figure I will be renting skis for this trip and if the sales were on, I might get new boots.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post



 

Never stayed at that hotel, but I really like the downtown hotels that I have been to in terms of amenities. The location is much better and more walkable than Sandy, places to eat and hang close by and realistically it take maybe 15 minutes longer to get up the mountain than being in Sandy...
 

 



Sandy?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post

search jong this shits been discussed endlessly

Where is the snowbird devotee and his uberguide to the turd

just pm bwpa he did a couple seasons there and knows everything



Wha?


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post

Add another vote for the sampler.  You will definitely find a lot of terrain that suits your abilities and preferences, and you will have a great time at those 5 resorts.  

 

  My take on the bird is that while it's not beyond my abilities,  it's tougher terrain than I enjoy  skiing (I'm an upper intermediate, FWIW). The blues would be blacks at most other resorts, and the greens are all cat tracks.  You might like the bird, but I wouldn't lock myself into a week there sight unseen.  My guess is that if you do the sampler you'll be saying to yourself how glad you were that you didn't spend your entire time at Snowbird.

 

If you do opt for the Snowbird thing, it's only a short free bus ride over to Alta.  Definitely hit Alta while you're there.

 

 

 

Well, that's it.  It's the sampler by a landslide.  But feel free to make any further trip suggestions.
 

 

post #19 of 67
Thread Starter 

Are any of the lift tickets interchangeable, like they are at Snowmass?

post #20 of 67

Sandy is a suburb of SLC which has lots of cheapo hotels and seems to be where many epic bears bunk on trips to SLC.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHGIskier View Post


Sandy?
 

post #21 of 67

I too vote for the sampler approach.  I'd put myself in the low advanced category and Snowbird kicked my butt.  I had fun but it was a lot of work.  

 

As for sampler lift tickets, the Salt Lake City Super Pass: http://www.visitsaltlake.com/ski/superpass/ is a great deal.  It covers the 4 resorts in the two canyons (alta/snowbird and brighton/solitude).  As a solid intermediate you'll find very challenging stuff everywhere but what the Bird offers least you'll find in spades at Brighton/Solitude.  Either of those places would be perfect for a recovery day or if you wanted to take it easier ski more mellow terrain.

post #22 of 67

unless your a type A expert, there is no reason to go to snowbird. Really, lesser skiers might have fun but I would imagine you would have more fun just about anywhere else.

post #23 of 67

I am a good strong eastern skier and racer but by no means a west coast powder expert. I may be an ice expert but powder not. Other than Snowbasin where I like the downhills, Snowbird is my favorite Utah resort. I find it lots of fun and I am sure I qualify as what BWPA would call a "lesser skier." I have probably skied it something like 15 times.

post #24 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsirin View Post

I am a good strong eastern skier and racer but by no means a west coast powder expert. I may be an ice expert but powder not. Other than Snowbasin where I like the downhills, Snowbird is my favorite Utah resort. I find it lots of fun and I am sure I qualify as what BWPA would call a "lesser skier." I have probably skied it something like 15 times.



if you a true Ice expert powder aint no thang. Your either not a true ice expect or your selling yourself short, I think its the later if you like snowbird.

post #25 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

unless your a type A expert, there is no reason to go to snowbird. Really, lesser skiers might have fun but I would imagine you would have more fun just about anywhere else.


How can anyone have fun with all those type A experts running around?

 

I had an encounter a couple type A "experts" at Beaver Mt. Last year. They were flying down the the return from the backside at like 3:45 yelling at lesser skiers to get out of their way and in one case knocking a young girl off the traverse so they could get back to the lift for another run. Next time I will politely suggest that Snowbird is their kind of mountain. biggrin.gif

post #26 of 67
Thread Starter 

Are there good ski shops near the Embassy Suites in SLC?  Any chance end of season sales will have started in March?  My boots need replacing.  I'm sure I'm going to rent some skis.  I rented some Salomon Rocker 250's at Snowmass and really liked them.  I gather rocker skis are really popular now.

 

I really do appreciate all the input.  I started the thread thinking it was Snowbird.   Now it's the Sampler, which this year is Dear Valley, Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Snow Basin.

 

BTW, if any of you get the OTHGI catalog, I'm on the cover.  The shot was taken with my camera and about 10 of my pics were used inside the catalog.

post #27 of 67
Thread Starter 

This trip to Utah has me wondering.  Will I be able to have a glass of wine with my meal in a restaurant?  At the age of 65, I drink in moderation and never on the slopes, but I do enjoy a glass of wine or a mixed drink with my dinner.

post #28 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHGIskier View Post

This trip to Utah has me wondering.  Will I be able to have a glass of wine with my meal in a restaurant?  At the age of 65, I drink in moderation and never on the slopes, but I do enjoy a glass of wine or a mixed drink with my dinner.


Yes.

 

post #29 of 67

The glass of wine will be fine. Utah has moderated their liquor laws in the past decade or so. You can get a mixed drink but I have never had such small (and weak) cocktails as in Utah. (By the way, I am also not a big drinker).

 

post #30 of 67



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHGIskier View Post

Are there good ski shops near the Embassy Suites in SLC? 

http://www.utahskigolf.com/  is right behind your hotel.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Snowbird-Is it Ok for Intermediate Skier?