Hope y ou can provide some advice. My son is invovled in a ski program at small regional Catskill mountain; as a result i am required to spend every weekend at the mountain. My problem is that I miss real intensive aerobic activity..since I can not hit the gym all winter ..and for a guy who spends all week behind a desk...its takes a toll on my own ski adventures. So I was thinking of either snowshoeing or skinning up the hill this winter to get some high level excersise. So here are afew questions:
1. Will skins on a telemark set-up work on an icey mountain?
2. As far as sheer aerobic activity/leg strength..snow show or skin up?
3. If snow shoe--does any one know of a very good resource/expert advice for snow shoes..strore with wide selction and personal advice, I can order likely over phone if resource is not near me , as long as sales person knows what thery are talking about ...the suburban REI near me...doesn't have real knowledge in this area?
4. if skins..are there different types to consider.. any that are better for ice, hardsnow and relatively steeper climbs?
5. Any other uphill suggestions.
Thank you and apprecaite it..