EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › Recommendations for a Basic Tuning Kit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommendations for a Basic Tuning Kit - Page 2

post #31 of 47

I bought one of these kits from Racewax this season and it has everything that I needed except a vise and iron.  Already had a cheap Dakine wax iron and havn't really needed a dedicated vise setup, I've got some wood bars that hang off the front of my workbench that have worked well enough for waxing duty.

 

Pretty decent deal as long as you want a bunch of their wax, and an ok deal even if you don't.  I'm not bashing their wax, I just got used to using saucer wax and it works well enought that I didn't want to switch.

http://www.racewax.com/product/RC-4848/RaceWax-Deluxe-Ski-Tuning-Kit--Wax--3-Brush-Kit--Cork--Fluoro.html

post #32 of 47

I am buying a basic tool kit. Has anyone used this tool?

 

87 degree Side BEAST Edge Bevel File Guide

 

I saw some good recommendations for other beast products but this guide does not need a spring clamp. anyone used it?

post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by levy1 View Post
 

I am buying a basic tool kit. Has anyone used this tool?

 

87 degree Side BEAST Edge Bevel File Guide

 

I saw some good recommendations for other beast products but this guide does not need a spring clamp. anyone used it?


Is this a test?   This is what you need.

http://www.the-raceplace.com/Side-of-BEAST-Pro-p/3002z.htm

 

post #34 of 47

I use the SVST side edge guide.  The Beast version looks similar enough that I'd have no worries about it malfunctioning.  Based on the design, it appears that the clamp must always be used.  That could make certain things slower than just using a spring clamp and thumb.  I would make sure that the two thumb screws don't conspire to prevent mounting the file at certain angles.

 

In case anyone cares, the SVST clamp add-on was disappointing to me.  I has just one screw and would pivot.

post #35 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by levy1 View Post
 

I am buying a basic tool kit. Has anyone used this tool?

 

87 degree Side BEAST Edge Bevel File Guide

 

I saw some good recommendations for other beast products but this guide does not need a spring clamp. anyone used it?


Is this a test?   This is what you need.

http://www.the-raceplace.com/Side-of-BEAST-Pro-p/3002z.htm

 


Okay,

 

post #36 of 47
Congrats to the OP who is going to spend more time on the snow! Tons of good advice, good recommendations and discounts on kit all through this thread. If dropping several hundred dollars all at once for kit to wax and tune is a bit much all at once maybe just start with waxing at home. The kit is relatively inexpensive and with your plan to spend more time on the mid-atlantic snow conditions probably gives you the most bang for the buck. It's also a relatively simple skill to pick up. There are lots of technique and wax choice options but the basics are pretty simple. Keeping edges sharp, maybe setting an edge/base angle are great if you have good quality tools at hand but you probably won't need to get that done at the shop as often you will need to wax. Unless of course you love rocks and trees. My two bits as a relatively new guy to the cult of home ski maintenance. Have fun.
post #37 of 47
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredUsername View Post

I bought this from Slidewright:
http://www.slidewright.com/ski-and-snowboard/kits-and-combos/edge-tuning-kits/

Good place to start.
Pretty nice set. How do you like the combi-cut file?
post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by litterbug View Post


Pretty nice set. How do you like the combi-cut file?

Hmm, I think mine is an older set, didn't come with a file, assuming you don't mean the XACT All in 1 tool for side and base bevel tuning. That tool works great.  It looks like the newer set comes with a sidewall panzer file. 

 

What I have trouble with is reading the small type of the printed directions.  I'm gettin' old :rolleyes.  

post #40 of 47

Love the idea on the Beast Edge Guide.  I did something very similar, though I fixed a very short Allen key to the bolt and "dipped" the key in some plastidip to make it rubbery.  Not necessary, but a nice touch.

 

Irons... I have grown away from using them and have been using the following product religiously once the skis are prepped for the season.  Yes, I am hitting the race skis quickly every time out, but the speed of application and the fact that there is literally almost zero waste makes it attractive for me.  I was super skeptical, but it works better than one would, especially as the notion of heating up skis is increasingly questioned.

 

http://www.alpineskituning.com/waxwhizard_tool

 

No affiliation at all... just a fan. 

post #41 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhygin View Post
 

Love the idea on the Beast Edge Guide.  I did something very similar, though I fixed a very short Allen key to the bolt and "dipped" the key in some plastidip to make it rubbery.  Not necessary, but a nice touch.

 

Irons... I have grown away from using them and have been using the following product religiously once the skis are prepped for the season.  Yes, I am hitting the race skis quickly every time out, but the speed of application and the fact that there is literally almost zero waste makes it attractive for me.  I was super skeptical, but it works better than one would, especially as the notion of heating up skis is increasingly questioned.

 

http://www.alpineskituning.com/waxwhizard_tool

 

No affiliation at all... just a fan. 


Rubbing in wax is better than none at all!  I never used the system.  I think as long as the base is well preped, it might be good for those times when one is traveling and can't hot wax.  

post #42 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xela View Post
 

I use the SVST side edge guide.  The Beast version looks similar enough that I'd have no worries about it malfunctioning.  Based on the design, it appears that the clamp must always be used.  That could make certain things slower than just using a spring clamp and thumb.  I would make sure that the two thumb screws don't conspire to prevent mounting the file at certain angles.

 

In case anyone cares, the SVST clamp add-on was disappointing to me.  I has just one screw and would pivot.

I own a couple of beast side edge bevelers. I quite using them years aga! JUST NOT GOOD. 

 

You are limited in thickness of the stone you can use and it is not nearly as stable as the SVST. The Beast is very easy to roll off the edge. 

 

Don't get me wrong, I know the Holmer family well and have been in their shop many times. My sons raced against Eric and I have had  a number of interesting conversations with Scott about tuning. But their side edge beveler has definite issues, IMHO of course!

 

 

:beercheer: On a spring Clamp! Much superior to screw type!

post #43 of 47

Atomicman...

So are you using a clamped SVST product?  I have "slipped off the edge" with every tool I have even used, but not with any frequency or challenge.  Is your feedback/opinion that it is inaccurate?  I have use DMT stones and Monoflex with no issues to in terms of fit.  I am looking to lean what might be better and why...

 

Thanks!

Brad

post #44 of 47

I don't know how thick of stones Atomic is loading, but my Side Of BEAST Pro loads the thicker 1/4 inch stones no problem.

 

As far as slipping off as you tune,  that can happen with any tool I have ever seen.  You sure don't want to have that happen, but that is just operator error.  It dose take practice to get good at it with any guide. 

post #45 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
 

I don't know how thick of stones Atomic is loading, but my Side Of BEAST Pro loads the thicker 1/4 inch stones no problem.

 

As far as slipping off as you tune,  that can happen with any tool I have ever seen.  You sure don't want to have that happen, but that is just operator error.  It dose take practice to get good at it with any guide. 

This NEVER happens with the SVST side edge beveler.  I found it an issue with the Beast the glide plate is narrower and the file stone, is a lot farther from your hand becuase of the screw on hold down plate the thickness of the metal frame and the angle shim, plus those 2 big thumb screws on top are kind of awkward. 

 

I just prefer the stone or file spring clamp directly to the tool!

post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhygin View Post
 

Atomicman...

So are you using a clamped SVST product?  I have "slipped off the edge" with every tool I have even used, but not with any frequency or challenge.  Is your feedback/opinion that it is inaccurate?  I have use DMT stones and Monoflex with no issues to in terms of fit.  I am looking to lean what might be better and why...

 

Thanks!

Brad

DMT and Moon Flevx are no issue, but ceramic stones and some arkanasa and surgical stones are an issue. 

 

I just use a spring clamp on the Aluminum with stainless glide plate  SVST side edge beveler 

post #47 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
 

I don't know how thick of stones Atomic is loading, but my Side Of BEAST Pro loads the thicker 1/4 inch stones no problem.

 

As far as slipping off as you tune,  that can happen with any tool I have ever seen.  You sure don't want to have that happen, but that is just operator error.  It dose take practice to get good at it with any guide. 

This NEVER happens with the SVST side edge beveler.  I found it an issue with the Beast the glide plate is narrower and the file stone, is a lot farther from your hand becuase of the screw on hold down plate the thickness of the metal frame and the angle shim, plus those 2 big thumb screws on top are kind of awkward. 

 

I just prefer the stone or file spring clamp directly to the tool!


It's all good.  Different strokes for different folks!   I think folks should use what they like the best.  It's all in the hands of the operator.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › Recommendations for a Basic Tuning Kit