EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Ski Instruction & Coaching › Am I sitting too far back? Critisism wanted! Thank you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Am I sitting too far back? Critisism wanted! Thank you. - Page 2

post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Saunders View Post


It's good to lean back a little in powder. 

 


Its not. You should never have to lean back anywhere including powder even the deepest powder there is.

 

post #32 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Taylor View Post

 

Maybe the video doesnt show what kind of skier I am, but I dont need to work on basic parallel turns.

 

I agree with what some people have posted -- "Intent dictates technique".

 

My intent is to make very quick, braking movements down the fall line. The video you posted shows the skiers using awesome flex, absorb and making wider turns accross the hill. This is not what im trying to do. You can call it bad skiing but I enjoy it. The wide "Giant Slalom" racing turns will not help me in the moguls. I love skiing moguls and if i am going to take a lesson it would be a mogul lesson.

 

I guess i just dont like carving. I like braking because that is how I ski moguls -- absorbing the bumps bringing my knees towards my chest. 

 

 

I'd say you have achieved your intent of quick braking movement down the fall line.  As has been said above -- intent dictates technique, so until you want to move towards a different style of skiing, there's not much more to be said.

 

I used to ski bumps the way you describe (i.e., brake and slam), and I thought that was enjoyable as it does work reasonably well.  And then I started the process of learning "offensive" turns (to borrow Bob Barnes' terminology).  Offensive turns enables you to make wide turns, short turns, slow turns, fast turns, and everything in between.  And I still prefer to ski bumps, except now they're even more fun since I have options galore as to what I want to do.

 

Your choice.
 

 

post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Taylor View Post

Please take a look at this video and post your comments. I am the skier wearing Blue Pants.

 

The segments I would like you to look at are at 1:40, 2:06 and 9:05 (also 8:25).

 

I am only skiing 78mm wide skis here and the scenes at 1:40 and 2:06 are in powder.

 

The segment that I believe I am sitting too far back starts at 2:11.

 

 

Thanks for looking, and thanks for helping!

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvJ7H4jcFTM



Here is another way to sit back!   I still can't believe you with a rod.  Is it Femur, or Tibia?

 

post #34 of 53



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Taylor View Post

Thanks to both of you for posting.

 

Can you give me a link to a video of someone skiing that is non static and has good flex/extend in the ankles and knees?



Don't temp me.  Last time I got "shot-to-hell" here! :-)    It's powder except where we go across a "run".  It's not deep.  I think it shows flex-extend, but really, for that, just see someone like Johnny Mosley.  You know the mogul people.

 

 

This is from a "cheep" camera.  Don't judge the camera.

 

post #35 of 53

Please take my opinion with a grain of salt; I'm not a ski instructor.

 

From what I see, you are just a little too far back on the easy powder skiing.  I, myself, think it's not really a bad thing to be a little bit further back from ideal in powder, because if you hit a submerged mogul or catch a stump or log or whatever down under you can recover without doing a front flip.  However I think you're being just a little overcautious there.  Relax, live a little,  move ahead a bit and see how much easier it is.  How to do that, I'll leave to the instructors.

 

It looks to me like you are way too far in the back seat on the steeper terrain.  Maybe the desire to make sure you don't get going too fast is impeding your style, but the result is your are not making efficient use of the front half of your skis.

 

As to controlling speed with line and direction, that's true, but unless you're skiing very strange "octopus" lines that twist back up the hill a lot, some braking or smearing of turns will be required if you don't want to ski fast.  The thing is, though, you don't have to be in the back seat to brake or smear; it's just a habit you have of leaning back when you want to stop, probably picked it up when you learned to walk.

 

 

post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post

 

Don't temp me.  Last time I got "shot-to-hell" here! :-)    It's powder except where we go across a "run".  It's not deep.  I think it shows flex-extend, but really, for that, just see someone like Johnny Mosley.  You know the mogul people.

 

 

This is from a "cheep" camera.  Don't judge the camera.

 


 

First I am mogul skier and that why when teaching people I teach them nothing you are doing, your skiing is crap ,and it should not be emulated.  You going to continue to get shot to hell if you think that ^^^^ is good skiing and keep trying to get people to ski like that.

 

 

Johnny Mosley does not ski powder like that. In fact I would argue Johnny Mosley does not ski moguls like that either. Johnny Mosley realize that different tactics and technique can be used outside of the mogul courses.

 

 

 

post #37 of 53

How did I know that would raise Bushwacker!  Hey, just have some fun.  That's what I'm doing.  No harm, or malice.  Like he says.........I am a crappy skier, but I still have fun.

I know this is not TGR, but really.....lighten up a bit Whacker.   Nobody takes me serious anyway.  I'm sure you'll have plenty of students in your classes.

post #38 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post

How did I know that would raise Bushwacker!  Hey, just have some fun.  That's what I'm doing.  No harm, or malice.  Like he says.........I am a crappy skier, but I still have fun.

I know this is not TGR, but really.....lighten up a bit Whacker.   Nobody takes me serious anyway.  I'm sure you'll have plenty of students in your classes.



I do not, but other people who do not know any better might.

post #39 of 53

JOhnny Moseley looks good in the above video, btw...

post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post

JOhnny Moseley looks good in the above video, btw...



Yes he does!  The hill must be steep, because he looks to be in the back seat to me, but then I have old eyes!

post #41 of 53

He doesn't look like he's in the back seat at all to me.  (Mosely I mean)


Edited by JayT - 10/16/11 at 8:20am
post #42 of 53

Great lessons here if you can discern which ones they are!  rolleyes.gif

 

Bob, Chris   just an observation.... Toni Sailor looks a bit over canted on his left leg in the clips above!? or does he like it like that?

 

Quit your job Ryan and move to ski country!  It will all work out smile.gif

post #43 of 53

 

Quote:  From BushwackerinPA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Saunders View Post


It's good to lean back a little in powder. 

 


Its not. You should never have to lean back anywhere including powder even the deepest powder there is.

 

Thanks for setting me straight : )  I wonder how many other things you could set me straight on.... here is a link to a video of me, please let me know what other things I might be doing completely wrong.  I'd appreciate it.                  http://www.youtube.com/user/Blakera4848#p/u/0/LdgtAT49S1k

 

 

One year.... I think it was 2004 or so... it snowed 6 feet all at once at Winter Park.  It was not light so it made things pretty interesting.  If you were the first to go down a run (any run regardless of pitch) you would be able to go straight about 25 meters, then you would just stop.  There was nothing you could do.  So then what you'd do is your buddy would come down from above you in your trench then bust around you and break another 25 meters through until he stopped.  Then if you had a third person.... so on.  You had to leap frog like that for the whole run just to move in it.  It was pretty crazy. 

 


Edited by Ronin - 1/16/12 at 11:42am
post #44 of 53

Nice Skiing Blake!

 

Have to agree with Blake Bush,  After living and skiing in Mammoth for many years in the Sierra powder, I would argue there are condition where to find maintain dynamic balance one needs to adjust aft some times.  Especially in the old days on straight skis.  Perhaps on the modern powder skis with the rocker and width and aft mounting positions which all aid a more centered stance it is more possible, but I would never make the definitive statement that you should NEVER lean back in powder. 

 

I remember one powder day in Mammoth against my common sense, I wondered what would happen if I didn't lean back and pointed them straight down Avi #1 Chute of Chair 22 and sure enough in about a ski length I was up to my hips in powder at a dead stop pointed down probably a 45 degree pitch and stuck bigger than sh*t.  Took be 15 minutes to get out of my skis and dig them out.

 

Maybe not Utah powder but Sierra powder......

post #45 of 53

 

Quote: From Bud Heishman

Nice Skiing Blake!

 

Thanks : )

 

Quote:  From Bud Heishman
Perhaps on the modern powder skis with the rocker and width and aft mounting positions which all aid a more centered stance it is more possible...

 

I haven't tried some of the newer crazier looking rockers, although I'd like to.  I imagine the effect is pretty major. 

 

 

post #46 of 53

Nice all around skiing Blake.  Looked like some good pow and bumps

post #47 of 53

Thanks : )

post #48 of 53

 

Quote:  From Jacques
I am a crappy skier, but I still have fun.

If you're having fun, then your skiing is good enough : )

post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Saunders View Post

 

 please let me know what other things I might be doing completely wrong.  I'd appreciate it.          

You're making all those silly itty-bity turns on steep narrow runs that are perfect for SG-DH turns.  That's how those beautiful runs get all bumped up and make skiing at reasonable speeds less pleasant.  There are plenty of bump runs to ski on, and hence no need to ruin the couloirs. Stop it!  hopmad.gif(wink.gifx1/2)

post #50 of 53

Ok.  I'll think about it  : )

 

One or two of those couloirs were incredibly icy.  The video doesn't have much sound, but if you turn it up you should be able to hear the ice.  If you go to 4:40 in the video you should be able to hear that pretty well.  There is at least one other shot of that same couloir somewhere in the video.  I found it really difficult to get a grip in that one. 

 

I've always been a fan of what is now the older style of skiing... the stuff that you'd see Scot Schmidt doing in Greg Stump movies.  Andrew Sheppard is another favorite of mine from RAP films.  So far I've been less interested in emulating the new popular "big mountain" style of going straighter on big skis in powder.  Those guys seem to never ski anything except powder... at least on film. 


Edited by Ronin - 10/16/11 at 9:45am
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Saunders View Post

 

 

 

One year.... I think it was 2004 or so... it snowed 6 feet all at once at Winter Park.  It was not light so it made things pretty interesting.  If you were the first to go down a run (any run regardless of pitch) you would be able to go straight about 25 meters, then you would just stop.  There was nothing you could do.  So then what you'd do is your buddy would come down from above you in your trench then bust around you and break another 25 meters through until he stopped.  Then if you had a third person.... so on.  You had to leap frog like that for the whole run just to move in it.  It was pretty crazy. 

 


I've had that happen, not because the snow was extreme but because the run wasn't as steep as I expected.  We found it was worth the extra time / effort to step out of your tracks so the next guy doesn't waste momentum going around you.

 

post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Taylor View Post

 

Maybe the video doesnt show what kind of skier I am, but I dont need to work on basic parallel turns.

 

I agree with what some people have posted -- "Intent dictates technique".

 

My intent is to make very quick, braking movements down the fall line. The video you posted shows the skiers using awesome flex, absorb and making wider turns accross the hill. This is not what im trying to do. You can call it bad skiing but I enjoy it. The wide "Giant Slalom" racing turns will not help me in the moguls. I love skiing moguls and if i am going to take a lesson it would be a mogul lesson.

 

I guess i just dont like carving. I like braking because that is how I ski moguls -- absorbing the bumps bringing my knees towards my chest. 

 


Ryan, FWIW, your goals and the suggestions you have been given here are not mutually exlusive.

 

My two bits:  get your elbows forward, body facing the fall line. Get your pole plants more downhill.  Forget about keeping your feet locked together, I think a little wider stance and more independent leg movement will help you find a most balanced position.  

 

Just a thought: if you're interested in feedback to improve your mogul technique, please post a video of yourself in the moguls.

 

 

post #53 of 53

 

Quote: From Ryan Taylor

The reason I am skiing with my knees together is because I am trying to work on my mogul technique.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to try to ski the same way outside of the moguls as you do in them... the techiniques on different types of terrain are really different and I don't know if there's a whole lot of connection between powder skiing and moguls.  You need a little space between your knees when you're not in the moguls.  I agree with "DesiredUsername" that you might want to post a seperate mogul video if you want help in that area of skiing. 

 

Here is one type of turn that can be done on the groomed that does relate well to moguls:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWSJtHNVxEI&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL4D347C23AB15E032     Go to 15 seconds.  I didn't listen to what he was saying.  I just am referring to the shape and type of turn he's making at .15  

 

I guess there are some general things that relate... you don't want to lean back in the moguls and stuff....  but moguls are really pretty different in my opinion than any other type of terrain in how you ski them. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Instruction & Coaching
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Ski Instruction & Coaching › Am I sitting too far back? Critisism wanted! Thank you.