or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Racing and Big Mountain Competitions › Robert "Sandy" Vietze Pisses Away His Opportunity
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Robert "Sandy" Vietze Pisses Away His Opportunity - Page 3

post #61 of 75

Well, to be fair, our legal system is already setup in an imbalanced way where people with money can get away with a hell of a lot more.  So that ship has sailed.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidude72 View Post

If you dont think the laws are fair, fine, change em for everybody.  Not just select people.

 



 

post #62 of 75

Well, true.  But you do live in a democracy where things can be changed.  Just make sure you are changing things for the better.  From what I see the strongest movments in the US are just pushing it closer to the brink.

post #63 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidude72 View Post



 


Yah, how about I come over and piss on your child.  "Hey man dont worrry, its a first offence, and....<hick>, I am also a really good skier...<hick>".
 

 

I understand your point.  Wife said that I would have reacted the same way as the girl's father did.  It was a bad scene.  At the same time, I wonder if there is any forgiveness in the mind of the father now.  I am not saying that there necessarily should be, but he was right there.  It is not unlikely that he will understand the full picture and realize that Sandy is not like that.  He will probably never take this event lightly, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sees things in a different light down the road.
 

 

post #64 of 75

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Richr View Post

It turns out he didnt piss on the girl. He pissed on the floor near the girl. And the charges against him were not dropped - they are still pending. And he doesnt live in a palatial home. And he wasnt likely to go to the Sochi Olympics, not unless he improves quite a bit in the next three years.

 

But it sure made a better story the way it was written, didnt it?

 

So we have a case of underage drinking and public urination.

 

Michael Vick is playing football again. Mike Tyson boxed again after a rape conviction and again after biting off Holyfield's ear.  How many college football players get popped for DUI during college and go on and play in the pros?  Let the kid go to college for a year or two and give him another shot at the team. 



I still stand by my earlier post which quoted Richr, seen above...

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post




This is what I understood as well, but the story is bigger and better with the embellishment.

No excuse for what he did, it was bad behavior to say the least.

At this point, he needs to be held accountable, whatever that means with his (former) team, and his family.

And he needs to make amends, apologize to the girl and her family, as well as the air line and his (former) team.

And then he should be given an opportunity to re-prove himself, his talent, and athleticism.

 

Accountability and atonement are the first two steps.

 

post #65 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidude72 View Post





Serioulsy?

 

What is wrong with you people?  Throw the book at him, just as the law would at anyone who did this.  What relevance is his USST status?  Special privledges, for the privledged?

 

I dont support locking people up and throwing away keys, but laws need to be applied fairly and evenly. 

 

In Australia, a few weeks out from Bejing Olympics a swimmer, got in a fist fight at a bar.  The team dropped him.  A life time of training, gone.  Nick Darcy if you want to look it up. The way he carried himself through the whole thing proved one thing, he is a total douche.

 

I have met numerous Olympians, most are great, but some really are spoiled rich kids that have a sense of entitlement.

 

If you dont think the laws are fair, fine, change em for everybody.  Not just select people.

 



There are two separate issues in this case.  First is the law.  I am not saying that the kid should not be subjected to the same standards as other people.  But what could be expected legally?  A guy got drunk on a plane and the situation went bad.  It was his first offense, he's 18 and he is outstanding in every other way. That sounds like community service to me, except for the exposure issue.  But the father already said that he wants to let that go.

 

He is no rich kid.

 

Two,... I believe in forgiveness when it is appropriate.  If you step back and look at the big picture, Sandy ought to be given a second chance.  USST didn't have much of a choice when they kicked him off the team, but they could keep an open mind for the future. 

post #66 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post




This is what I understood as well, but the story is bigger and better with the embellishment.

No excuse for what he did, it was bad behavior to say the least.

At this point, he needs to be held accountable, whatever that means with his (former) team, and his family.

And he needs to make amends, apologize to the girl and her family, as well as the air line and his (former) team.

And then he should be given an opportunity to re-prove himself, his talent, and athleticism.

 

Accountability and atonement are the first two steps.

 

 

 

Agreed, he needs to deal with his drinking.
 

 

post #67 of 75

I'm not sure I agree with that, either.  In theory, perhaps...
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidude72 View Post

Well, true.  But you do live in a democracy where things can be changed.  Just make sure you are changing things for the better.  From what I see the strongest movments in the US are just pushing it closer to the brink.



 

post #68 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytierney View Post

I'm not sure I agree with that, either.  In theory, perhaps...
 



 


Sad, but you are probably right.
 

 

post #69 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidude72 View Post



 


Yah, how about I come over and piss on your child.  "Hey man dont worrry, its a first offence, and....<hick>, I am also a really good skier...<hick>".
 

 


Well there are two possibilities.

1)  The guy thought it was an empty isle and didn't realize through his alcoholic haze that there was anyone there when he pissed on the child's leg.  In which case give him whatever the fine is for drinking underage, drunk in public, urinating on a plane, etc.

 

2)  The guy really did know the girl was there.  In which case, I regret to say that while I aspire to be a better person, if someone had pissed on my 12 year old girl, I would likely have beat him to a bloody pulp.  I still would if I had any 12 year olds, but fortunately my girls are adults and are fully capable of looking after themselves.

 

 

post #70 of 75

I'm not going to outright defend his actions, but I will say this: I've been stuck at the airport bar before waiting for a delayed flight, had maybe one more drink than I should have, and when we got up to altitude it really hit me harder than expected.  And I'm no light weight - at all.  I didn't do anything this stupid, of course, but most of us have done regrettable things after drinking too much.  Not sure if his competitive life should be over because of it, particularly if he's showing genuine remorse for his actions and doing all of the right things.

post #71 of 75

I bet there are hundreds of kids his age who are just about as good as him who would kill to be on the Development Team in his position and wouldn't flagrantly eff-up things like he did.  Perhaps somebody else should be given his spot, and we should move on.  Olympic hopefuls... there are many young kids who fit the mold and can be trained.  It is no loss to American skiing to give this kid the boot.  

 

And it should actually be a message that if you do something this stupid there are going to be repercussions for your actions.  The USST had to kick him off.  They don't have to let him return if they don't want to.

 

 

post #72 of 75


I dont understand your post. You seem to be saying that it is OK to kick him off the team because he wasnt really that good anyway.  Are you implying that if he was clearly better than anyone else his age, he shouldnt be kicked off?  

 

In fact, there are less than 10 kids his age that are as good as he is, but I dont see how that really matters when deciding his punishment.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredAtBMBW View Post

I bet there are hundreds of kids his age who are just about as good as him who would kill to be on the Development Team in his position and wouldn't flagrantly eff-up things like he did.  Perhaps somebody else should be given his spot, and we should move on.  Olympic hopefuls... there are many young kids who fit the mold and can be trained.  It is no loss to American skiing to give this kid the boot.  

 

And it should actually be a message that if you do something this stupid there are going to be repercussions for your actions.  The USST had to kick him off.  They don't have to let him return if they don't want to.

 

 



 

post #73 of 75


I'm just saying there are alot of people who wouldn't embarrass the team by drinking at the airport that could take his place on the team.  Seriously, getting so drunk you urinate on a girl... while coming home from the team training camp... that's pretty bad and simply needs to be dealt with harshly.  It's too bad it happened, and I'm sure the kid didn't intend to urinate on the girl, but putting himself in a position to do so is a reprehensible offense and there should be consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richr View Post


I dont understand your post. You seem to be saying that it is OK to kick him off the team because he wasnt really that good anyway.  Are you implying that if he was clearly better than anyone else his age, he shouldnt be kicked off?  

 

In fact, there are less than 10 kids his age that are as good as he is, but I dont see how that really matters when deciding his punishment.

 



 



 

post #74 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredAtBMBW View Post


I'm just saying there are alot of people who wouldn't embarrass the team by drinking at the airport that could take his place on the team.  Seriously, getting so drunk you urinate on a girl... while coming home from the team training camp... that's pretty bad and simply needs to be dealt with harshly.  It's too bad it happened, and I'm sure the kid didn't intend to urinate on the girl, but putting himself in a position to do so is a reprehensible offense and there should be consequences.



 

 

In fact, the kid DID NOT URINATE ON THE GIRL. That part was made up. It didnt happened. The girl's family says it didnt happened. But that's the story that originally ran in the press, and that's the story that got him kicked off the team.
 

 

post #75 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richr View Post



 

In fact, the kid DID NOT URINATE ON THE GIRL. That part was made up. It didnt happened. The girl's family says it didnt happened. But that's the story that originally ran in the press, and that's the story that got him kicked off the team.
 

 


Ok, maybe he didn't urinate ON the girl, but still pissing on a plane near a girl is--in my opinion--a serious enough offense to warrant his dismissal from the team.  People eff up and make mistakes... oh well.  Things move on.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Racing and Big Mountain Competitions › Robert "Sandy" Vietze Pisses Away His Opportunity