New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Keystone Lodging Tips

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

So I just booked my flight to Colorado next February and we decided we'd use Keystone as a homebase, taking day trips out to other resorts when not skiing there.  Can anyone recommend where to stay around there?  Seeing a ton of options on VRBO.

 

Since we'll likely only ski Keystone one day and maybe one night after spending the day somewhere else, it doesn't need to be ski in / out.  Access to bars and food should be easy and a hot tub would certainly be nice (actually, with 5 straight days of skiing it'll be a must).  Looking for 2 bedrooms.

 

Also, I noticed Keystone has a lot of hiking to advanced terrain, so any tips on which trails are worth the haul would be appreciated.

post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytierney View Post

So I just booked my flight to Colorado next February and we decided we'd use Keystone as a homebase, taking day trips out to other resorts when not skiing there.  Can anyone recommend where to stay around there?  Seeing a ton of options on VRBO.

 

Since we'll likely only ski Keystone one day and maybe one night after spending the day somewhere else, it doesn't need to be ski in / out.  Access to bars and food should be easy and a hot tub would certainly be nice (actually, with 5 straight days of skiing it'll be a must).  Looking for 2 bedrooms.

 

Also, I noticed Keystone has a lot of hiking to advanced terrain, so any tips on which trails are worth the haul would be appreciated.



Where else are you skiing? Keystone might not be the best if you want to be central; Frisco might work better.

post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 

Well, it's Keystone for a number of reasons beyond my control - not that concerned with being in the most central location per se.  To clarify, two of our days are going to at least be at keystone and A-basin, so it works for that.  And an hour or less to vail is no big deal.

post #4 of 17

Agree, Frisco might be better for access to Copper, esp if you're not doing ski-in because it is central and convenient for the free Summit Stage. 

You might want to nail down the roster of places you want to ski, then weigh lodgings.  Staying near the base of Keystone would work if you are going to split your time between, say, two days Keystone, two days Arapahoe Basin (close to Keystone), and one day at Copper.  As you know Keystone is big for intermediate terrain.  Some of the more advanced skiing there is at the section called The Outback, with lift-served tree skiing and either hike-to or riding a la cart snowcat rides (used to be $5) to open bowls above that area.  Bring LUNGS.

Assuming you are going to stay in Summit County, most folks might say you should focus on Copper and Breck, but personally I would add A-Basin as a MUST ski in this area for skilled snowriders.

 

PS:  for Keystone (slopeside) I've used VRBO for a good condo at at The Springs complex, walking distance from River Run gondola.  Also, stayed once there in plush Dakota condos (managed by Key to the Rockies).  Both somewhat upscale, with great pool/tub complexes.  For Frisco I've used the Frisco Lodge (nice little hot tub and good breakfast), close to Stage bus stop and 15 min ride to Copper. 

post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytierney View Post

Well, it's Keystone for a number of reasons beyond my control - not that concerned with being in the most central location per se.  To clarify, two of our days are going to at least be at keystone and A-basin, so it works for that.  And an hour or less to vail is no big deal.



Okey doke. River Run is the newest area: most places have community hot tubs, and I think more restaurants.  It's where the gondola is, which can be good or bad depending on the line. That said, the Last Lift Bar at the Mountain House (different base area) is pretty fun for apres, and the Goat and Snake River Saloon are good dive-type bars.  I've only stayed in River Run, and in some townhouses across the highway.. Not an expert on Keystone. But everything is pretty close together ... 

post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 

I have the epic local pass so this time around we're sticking to Keystone / A-Basin / Vail / Breck ... and maybe Beaver Creek if we want to head out that far.

post #7 of 17

^ I really recommend heading over to Beaver Creek. It's a really underrated ski area and well worth the extra time. Enjoy your trip. I'm a Sonoma County transplant living here in Colorado. The semi-regular trip out here turned into residency awfully easily.

post #8 of 17

I've been spending 3 weeks in February in Summit County for the last five years.  I have been renting a condo in Dillon or Silverthorne due to the lower rental rates compared to being right at a resort.   For a shorter stay like yours, that's not as big an issue.  Not much ski in/ski out lodging at Keystone - most everything is a drive to parking or a shuttle ride.  River Run lodging will give you the easiest access to the gondola, but will be the most expensive.

 

Most of the hike to terrain is to the Outback bowls.  You also can pay $5 to ride a cat if you don't want to hike.  In general, I would recommend the Peak 8 and 7 bowls at Breck over the Keystone bowls.  Much better advanced to expert terrain and the T-bar and Imperial Express provide great access.    


Edited by JimH - 8/13/11 at 5:14pm
post #9 of 17

My wife and I did a similar trip last season.  We stayed at the River Run Condos, which were very nice.  It's at a good location, walking distance to the gondola, restraunts, bars, and access to a hot tub.  That being said, If I were to do the trip over again, I would probably stay somewhere in Dillon.  It's a very close drive to A-Basin, Breck, Keystone and definitely will save you some $$ over a slopeside accomodation.

post #10 of 17

You are in for some great skiing whatever you do.  FYI, here are a few links to old trip reports.  First is on Keystone, the second and third include discussion/pics of Arapahoe Basin along with other nearby ski areas.

 

http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1022

 

http://www.dcski.com/ubbthreads33/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=53056&page=3

 

http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1212&mode=rss

post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the feedback and TR's.

post #12 of 17

Frisco is a good choice but I am surprised nobody mentioned staying in Breck since there are plenty of lodging options there, easy shuttle options and it has the "real ski town" feel.

post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattL View Post

Frisco is a good choice but I am surprised nobody mentioned staying in Breck since there are plenty of lodging options there, easy shuttle options and it has the "real ski town" feel.

 

Traffic, traffic, traffic. I would never advise staying in Breck unless you are skiing almost exclusively at Breck. Maybe if you are there only midweek. 
 

 

post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 

Yeah, I stayed at Breck last year and want to mix it up a little anyway.

post #15 of 17

Traffic LOL. I am from the East.

post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 

And I'm from California... so what?  Anyone who's spent much time around Breck will tell you that the 2-lane highway in and out of there can line up with cars quickly and make it tough to get in and out of there.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattL View Post

Traffic LOL. I am from the East.



 

post #17 of 17

Bummer. I haven't been there in a few years.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel