EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Did pretty well I think?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Did pretty well I think?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

New wife is a never ever and will be sliding for the first time ever in the coming season and below is what we've managed to acquire so far.  All gear is new.

 

Nordica Fox skis with marker bindings 144CM $280 shipped

 

Nordica One 60 boots 22.5 $85 shipped

 

Giro Grove helmet $65 local

 

Oakley Elevate H.I. yellow $60 local

 

Spyder Goretex gloves $20 local

 

Helly Hansen Lifa base layer X2 $60 shipped

 

Columbia jacket (forgot model) 75% off at the Navy Exchange (local) $40

 

A few more things to acquire yet, but it looks like we'll have her fully outfitted for the season and beyond for about $700-$750.

 

I also tried to support forum sponsors with the boot/skis/base layer purchases, but it was right product wrong size or right size wrong product in every instance.

 

If she progresses well we'll probably do a boot upgrade via one of the forum sponsors towards the end of the upcoming season (read Tahoe gathering).

 

 

post #2 of 9
Therapy after intro to skiing from us Epic-bears, $priceless!
post #3 of 9

Gotta make sure that the graphics all match right?

worthless.gif

post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

Gotta make sure that the graphics all match right?

worthless.gif


Pics forthcoming of the skis/boots and yes they matchredface.gifwink.gif

 

post #5 of 9

My only question is whether she has tried on those exact boots in that size since you indicate they were shipped.  Buying boots on-line is never a good idea unless you know exactly how that particular boot fits your feet.

post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post

My only question is whether she has tried on those exact boots in that size since you indicate they were shipped.  Buying boots on-line is never a good idea unless you know exactly how that particular boot fits your feet.


Yes she did try on the boots at the (only) local dealer and I did a basic shell fit when we got home.  Fit is in the ballpark length wise but much too wide for the long term.  Logic was that they are way better than any rentals she might use and should get her through season number one in good shape.

 

The boots were $200 ($320 retail) for a 2yr old model.  No problem there except I found them for $85 online.

 

Note that while I did return the original boot purchase to the local shop, I never asked for a refund and spent every penny spent on the original boot purchase and more at the local shop.

 

Even though the shop isn't particularly knowledgeable about anything they sell, I support them because it's nice to have a place to go and physically touch/see some of the new stuff each season.

 

post #7 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgiddyup View Post


Fit is in the ballpark length wise but much too wide for the long term.  Logic was that they are way better than any rentals she might use and should get her through season number one in good shape.

 

 

Actually I disagree that they should get her through her first season in good shape.  I have students taking their second and third lessons get very frustrated because they try to turn and it just doesn't work because the boots are either too long or more especially too wide.  If she progresses at a decent rate, I can almost guarantee she will get frustrated and she may come to hate skiing because she will experience pain from the boots.

post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiddyup View Post

 

If she progresses well we'll probably do a boot upgrade via one of the forum sponsors towards the end of the upcoming season (read Tahoe gathering).

 

 


Did you want to book appointment now? 

 

post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post




Did you want to book appointment now? 

 


Book it for last week of Feb 2011wink.gifcool.gif

 

Had to return the boots because they shipped the wrong size, but have the correct size now.  Here's the promised pic.

 

mini-IMG_3067.JPG

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Did pretty well I think?