New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

crud and bumps?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

I am looking for a new ski for next year. I would like to take it in the bumps, as well as crud and maybe some powder, with a little luck. Im am not one of you youngsters, pushing 60 years of age, but I still ski OK, not great, but OK. I plan to get in about 15 days nest season at Steamboat. I was looking at the Blizzard 81. How is that in bumps and crud? .I ski  5 stars now, which are great on the groomed, crud not so much. Maybe something wider would be easier to handle? I am only 5'6", and shrinking fast, I might add, and about 165. 

post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool1 View Post

I am looking for a new ski for next year. I would like to take it in the bumps, as well as crud and maybe some powder, with a little luck. Im am not one of you youngsters, pushing 60 years of age, but I still ski OK, not great, but OK. I plan to get in about 15 days nest season at Steamboat. I was looking at the Blizzard 81. How is that in bumps and crud? .I ski  5 stars now, which are great on the groomed, crud not so much. Maybe something wider would be easier to handle? I am only 5'6", and shrinking fast, I might add, and about 165. 


 

the 8.1 is good but more of an on trail carver. A better off trail ski from Blizzard are the new flipcore skis.

 

Bushwacker's(88mm .5 sheet of metal) would accel at, bumps, skied out trees, chaulky hardpack, and slower to moderately fast groomers, while still being good at Crud, powder.

 

Bonafide's (98mm 2 sheets of metal) would be better at Crud,powder powder filled trees and maching groomers. While not being a slug in bumps, or skied out trees.

 

Both would be better for what you want than the 8.1 I have skied the whole line up and the 8.1 is sweet but Id probably go 173 Bushwacker or Bonafide.

 

there are other great skis out there, and "the one" from blizzard could fit your bill as well.

 

post #3 of 6

the phrase: easier to handle points to a ski with a more even flex than the 5 star and less sidecut than the 5  star.  The length affects ease of handling a lot; a 165cm may be ideal for what you seek.  most companies make something like this, for example, Dynastar Sultan, Salomon Shogun are popular, versatile skis, as are some of the Blizzards you mentioned.  You are going to have a ski that is so much more forgiving and smooth than the 5 Star, one of the twitchiest, bitchiest skis I've ever demoed.

post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

the 8.1 is good but more of an on trail carver...Id probably go 173 Bushwacker


^^^^ For your size, mission, this ^^^^. Might browse the Fischer Motive 84 also. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post
You are going to have a ski that is so much more forgiving and smooth than the 5 Star, one of the twitchiest, bitchiest skis I've ever demoed.

Grotesque slander, sir. Have owned a couple of 6*, a 5*, wife currently skis a 5*, would not recommend the 6's for anyone under 200 lbs, (maybe 300 lbs for bumps), but the 5's are fine. And work well on east coast scratch + piles of crud. They're a dated cross design that holds up, still see a few good skiers back here on them. 

 

post #5 of 6

I recently demo atomic access that I thought did well in powder and crud. Not so good on hard pack.

 Your best bet is to demo before you buy

post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 

Thanks for all of the replies. I like the  stars also. I am used to skis that are a lot longer and not so much cut, but I like the  star a lot, great for ice and hard pack, good groomer ski, not so great in the cut up or anything looking like pow, especially if it is heavy, To be a little more clear, I mostly ski the front side groomers, but like to make forays into the bumps and find myself on cut up and crud sometimes, and would like to be able to handle that too.

As far as demoing goes, I do not spend much time on the slopes, and just want to buy the things, not waste a whole trip trying this and that.

This yeat I will spend  fifteen days in Colorado, more than I have in the last ten years put together, so I want to be fully prepared.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion